Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robbo23_gw

Are these guys toast?

Robbo23
11 years ago

We just bought this house two months ago and there are bunches of (what I think are) hostas all around the property. This particular bunch appears to be toast. I've been watering them every other day (water restrictions), and everything else around the house seems to be surviving both the drought and my lack of knowledge. Except these guys.

I've read much in the FAQ and other posts here and I'm thinking maybe too much sun? They're in the shade until about 10 a.m. then they're blasted with unrelenting hot sun until sundown. *I* don't even like being on that side of the yard after 10:00 a.m. I do have a cooler, shadier place they can go and after reading lots of posts here I'm pretty confident I can get the job done.

My question is: are they toast? Do they need to be moved? If so, should I do it now? (well, at about 7:00 a.m.) Do I need to do something with all those wilted, crunchy leaves? The ones that were completely dead I removed, but the halfsies have me at a loss.

Oh, and these are hostas, right? :D

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• pagrdnr
    11 years ago

Looks like too much sun/heat. They should be moved, but wait until closer to fall when the weather cools. Move them to a shadier location. They will look bad for the rest of the year, but come back nice net year.

• higgins
    11 years ago

Rob,

I'm in N IL and that's typical for Hosta that receive too much sun, or reflective heat!

I have a similar problem, where I have a large group of Hosta that were in a shade garden. Then when the last storm came thru, I lost 5 trees, 2 of them were huge, so my big blue hosta are in full sunlight.

So come fall, we are going to have to re-do several of our large garden beds.... Not looking forward to that!

As for your hosta, keep them watered and they will survive! You just cant kill the suckers. Thru some out several yrs ago and they are still growing in the compost pile, as for the hosta that fell into the creek bed, they are still growing! Go figure!!!

AL

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Nope not toast. But you may be getting the "Undulata uglies". This particular cultivar gets crispy and ugly in mid summer. Personally, I would dig em up and toss em out. But some people like this Hosta.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

steve is enabling you.. lol ...

those are one of the 3 workhorses.. of the hosta world ... they will live on the driveway ... but they will look.. well.. like that.. lol ..

you could cut it up.. and cover most of your yard with them .. lol ...

to sum up.. they are not goners.. they are ugly.. with better placement .. they will look better next year ... up to you if you want to keep them ... move and divide in september or so ...

ken

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

My undulata doesn't get the "uglies" any worse than anything else.

bkay

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

I agree with Ken... lol... bkay is an exception... she's in Texas and grows in pots =P

• coll_123
    11 years ago

definitely move..and don't replace with anything else that close to the house. I've got daylilies planted too close and they fry in the heat that bounces off the siding, too. And I'm in Maine, with relatively mild summers. Give whatever you replace those hosta with some space away from the house.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Be kind now folks! I had U. Albomarginata on my top-20 list. When the Wilmington Garden Club had its annual garage sale I found one jammed into a large plastic bag. They gave it to me. Didn't pay a penny. I divided it into 9 plants which are in twos floats for effect in dappled shade. I feel it is in striking contrast to the singly placed and spotted collected hostas.

They don't get the undulata ugglies and I live in north central IL.

Lets have a little respect for UA: IT IS A HOSTA for petes sake! (LOL)

Les

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

Be kind now folks! I had U. Albomarginata on my top-20 list.... I divided it into 9 plants

==>>> hence the term workhorse ..

and the price was right ...

the uglies have to do with lack of water ... no one tried to drown this one in a long time.. plus the sun.. and the house.. good catch on reflected heat and light ...

ken

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

They are supposed to look like this, in the shade. I know they are just the common old hosta that some people scoff at, but I love them, they always look good, they provide a lot of contrast, they are easy, and they fill in empty spots with quiet grace. Workhorses, for sure.

Sandy

• Robbo23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for all of the responses! What a truly informative (and entertaining) bunch! :)

I have so. much. space. in this yard that I think I'll move those sad little guys to the long and empty spot in the shade (next to two different hostas that are doing splendidly) and use this supersunny hot spot for some things that will do better in those conditions. The majority of the yard is rather shady - seems like a waste to use the one supersunny area for the ONE plant that thrives in shade!

Thanks again!

• User
    11 years ago

Robbo, glad you dropped by. If you have a lot of shade, then maybe you'll be needing MORE HOSTA.......and that is where this forum is really helpful.......so we'll see you later?

After you move these Undulata, take a picture of the next shade project you are looking for help with. I betcha some big blue hosta would love to follow you home.