Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Vulcan

Posted by LesinMD MD (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 16:35

I recently purchased a one-gallon specimen of "Vulcan", whose pure white centers were spectacular. It has done well in its first months, with 5-6 new leaves appearing from the center. However, the new leaves are NOT white in the center; they are a Chartreusse green, with the darker green outer edges.

Is this a normal growth pattern for Vulcan?

Will the new leaves turn pure white? If so, how long does this take?

Or has my plant reverted to a predecessor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Vulcan

No, this is normal growth for your plant and you should be highly grateful for it! This "greening" is allowing the plant to produce and store food for the Winter. Its what makes it such a strong grower for a "white centered" hosta that are notoriously poor growers otherwise. I think you will happy with this hosta, especially in the Spring when it will have increased in size for you. Have a great day. Gary

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 20:04

The new leaves (whether in Spring with the flush, or as with yours on the second flush of growth) on many hostas unfurl green, then take on their distinctive colors over time. For some it is just a week or so, and for others it takes a month. I just looked at my Vulcan and all the new growth is just as you described. Yes, they will turn white for you this year.

photo IMG_4360_zps2c472e9c.jpg

Edit: The green to white is called ALBESCENCE.

Enjoy your new Vulcan. It was that crisp white and dark green that made me get that one too. It is beaut!

-Babka

This post was edited by Babka on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 13:13

o

Actually, I think Gary's talking about Albescence and I think he's right. When they are green, they are storing more energy than when white. If they didn't have that green stage, they would not be good growers.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 1:22

Oooooops! Yes you are right. ALBESCENCE it is! Chemo brain here. Sorry, Gary.

-Babka

o

Babka - Don't worry about it.

o

Thank all of you who responded to my query. I fell in love with the large white center of the leaves of this Hosta and wanted to be sure the new growth was normal (which I did suspect). I'm not new to Hosta culture, although until I became Chair of our Condo Landscaping Committee I did not have the opportunity to explore varieties beyond the common ones planted by past and present residents. But as I've learned quickly, there are so many MORE wonderful sizes, colors, shapes, growth structure (I've recently also purchased "Praying Hands" - a novel growth habit).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here