hosta_freak
11 years ago

Here's another favorite spot in my garden. Phil

{{gwi:1024832}}

Comments (18)

• idiothe
    11 years ago

lookin' good, Phil!

um... is that Victory on the right? If so, start looking for places to move those other hostas! In the next AHS Journal I describe Victory as "The Hosta That Devoured Cleveland." 7' diameter even in shade... I've had to move several hostas, and now I'll have to move some more... and move my path... and cut branches off a spruce tree - no way I'm going to start trying to move Victory!

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No Jim,that is Cliffords Forest Fire. Others on the right are Yellow River,and,at the top,American Halo. Thanks for lookin' Phil

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Great shot. That's my favorite pic from your garden.

Steve

• User
    11 years ago

I agree with Steve--that is my favorite picture of your garden too.....even without the green vase!

I'm adding it to my wallpaper, hope you do not mind.
    It immediately hit me how very tropicalesque that view is.
    So much green, yet so much variety.

• lavenderlver
    11 years ago

Just beautiful, forgive me for staring!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    11 years ago

Very nice, it has started me thinking about putting a few slopes in my backyard!

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

I'm with Lavender, pardon my wandering eyes.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Thanks,

bkay

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know it seems like I post these same pics a lot,but you all are the only ones who ever see my garden. Even my wife doesn't go out there much. This hilside used to be a veritable jungle of weeds,vines and other nasty stuff,before I cleared it out and started this garden in 2006. I used to walk up this hill,hanging onto the small trees just to get up to the top. When I started the garden,I built some makeshift steps out of patio stones. Then,one by one I added a few hostas every year,until you see the results. I can't even get in there to weed,but I don't have to! Thanks for the kind comments! Phil

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    11 years ago

Post away! I love seeing the pics.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    11 years ago

I love seeing your pictures too! Wish I lived closer and I would come over for a visit.

Linda

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Phil,

Since you have a woodland garden, does that mean your hostas don't get much sun? If they don't, that would suggest they don't have to get much sun to get big like everyone says.

Another thing about your woodland garden is that I bet you get lots of fallen leaves in autumn, which is amending your soil, as well as helping to keep it moist. Is that the case? Your hostas sure look happy!

My hostas that are in the bed that gets 2 1/2 hours of morning sun are mostly bleached yellow with some faded green, along with crispy leaves too. I'm not really liking it. I like yellow hostas, but I didn't want an entire bed full of them. I the variety of colors in my hostas that are in the bed that gets dappled sun.

Just goes to show people shouldn't make broad sweeping statements about growing conditions. Even though I'm in zone 5b, being in the midwest means that the sun is very intense - not like it is in someplace like Michigan, Minnesota, or Wisconsin. My guess is that NC probably also has intense sun.

Deanna

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deanna, we do have some intense sun down here,at times,but being a woodland garden,the sun doesn't bake it as much. If you would try to dig a hole out of the woods,it would require a pick and shovel,as the ground there gets hard as a rock. Yes the garden,gets tons of Oak,Poplar,and Dogwood leaves in there every fall. I have to rake the paths every year,just to get near the hostas. I'm running out of places to put all the leaves. The soil here is red clay everywhere,but the soil in he woods is rich,and anything will grow in it. When I first dug the first hole for the first hosta, I was amazed how good the soil was! Right now,it is back to getting very hot and dry again. Some hostas are almost dormant already. They will survive,however. I still haven't lost a hosta due to drought. The garden gets varying amounts of sun throughout the day,and some times,there will be a ray of sun shining on a hosta,just like a spotlight. This area of the garden gets morning sun,until about 1 PM,then becomes dappled sun and almost full shade,but it is high shade,and seems ideal for the plants. Phil

• User
    11 years ago

Deanna, we are really close to the equator comparatively speaking, at 30 degrees, so I am very cautious with how much sun and what time of day my plants get it. I've been noticing the golds that are at the very edge of the morning sun area. They daily get sun where the others wind up in the shade. Since the longest day June 21st, the sun pattern is dropping back southward so not as much area gets the heat, but we're only a month into summer......

Many of my hosta emerged beginning in February, so it is a very long year for them. I don't want to harm them with intense heat all day and all night too, for such a long period. They might not bloom optimally, or color up optimally this year, but this is after all the FIRST YEAR for MOST of my hosta. I figure they will know what to expect come next spring, and be adjusted to conditions. Hopefully they will be able to have a minimal but acceptable dormant period this winter. I'll have to cross fingers on that.

Some of my plants have the ugly edges, but not really from a lot of sun exposure. However, the golds....ahhhh, they are not dessicating but they are sort of sun fading? Well, I'm not sure what will happen next, but I sort of like the look. As long as the leaf doesn't look bruised and withered, the faded glory look is fine with me. That is really true of The Shining....not a bright gold any more. It is sculpted and weathered. So is Zounds. Rosedale Golden Goose just keeps plugging along, stiff as a board, like nothing fazes it. Then Squash Casserole looks pretty moist and tender, and in more shade, so does Fried Bananas--which is gorgeous. Sweet Innocence looks almost like cake icing, like it could melt with the heat, but it is taking the heat in stride--if I can keep the squirrels from beating it up when they jump out of the shrubbery!

I wish I could plant an area like you have done, Phil. It is gorgeous. But for now, I'll keep juggling my pots.

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Phil, what's the single big, round leaf at the top center of the photo?

Deanna

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry,Deana,I didn't see your last post before it went to the second page! That big single leaf is from American Halo,a plant I found at Lowes a couple years ago. I have another elsewhere in the garden. Phil

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Phil , your hillside garden is just beautiful. I love to see all the great pictures and wish that all the ones that are posted were in just a picture file so we could drool over everyone's great garden. Keep posting as many pictures you want to share and thanks . Faye