Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Peter Ruh - Anyone Growing This One?

Gesila
12 years ago

I just picked up this beautiful Peter Ruh a couple of days ago and am trying to figure out where to put it.

Anyone growing this one? What kind of sun do you have it in?

Comments (7)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Gesila,

Are you still buying? That is a very beautiful plant. Where did you get it? I wish I was growing this one.

Steve

• Gesila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL Steve, I was buying for the secret swap and... who could pass this one up?? I saw it from about 20 feet away and knew I had to have it! I got it at a local nursery near my house.

Gesila

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

yeah.. sure.. isnt she the one who owes me a nickle.. for when she proclaimed in late april that she was done for the year ....

or did i bet her a hosta...

ken

• kisher
    12 years ago

I was going to get one this year at Homestead... but they are closed this year. Oh well, hopefully next year. I wonder if I could get Pete to sign it for me?

• treemon
    12 years ago

I got mine from Van Wade and I got Van Wade from Peter Ruh. How neat is that? That was two years ago in June. Best hosta outing ever! Both plants are growing well for me. I understand Peter's wife Jean passed away earlier this year, I believe.

Mark

• countrygarden01
    12 years ago

Hi,

I have grown "Peter Ruh'for some time. One of the first acquisitions.

It will perform best in lots of morning sun followed by bright light. The leaves will appear tranluscent w/ many colors appearing in layers. The coloring should overlap w/o discrete margins. In the right light, it will appear somewhat streaked. The colors in your plant now, are just the beginning, given the right amount of light.

Consider placing it w/ 'Paul's Glory', 'Wheaton Blue' and 'Chesterland Gold'. You could skip 'Paul's Glory' if it competes to much for the "spotlight". However, the others will bring out the best qualities in Pete. Pete will also be the shorter and flatter of the plants listed. So, forefront.

You may have "enticed" yourself into a "new" little garden of these cultivars, In which, you could get a few of Paul in there w/o distraction from the "spotlight".

If you had a tree or structure of some sort you could put three of Paul, one Chester and a part of Pete on the south. On the north... two Wheaton's, one Chester, two Paul's and your biggest left over half of Ruh. Paul and Ruh will appear as totally different plants from north to the south exposure. All you have to do is walk around the tree to see them in a different "face".

Later,
    Rick

• Gesila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Paul's Glory and his family grows well in my gardens.

I like the idea of combining Peter Ruh with Wheaton Blue and Chesterland Gold and know where I can get them that are about the same size as Peter (but don't anyone tell Ken).

Gesila