Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andi_mn

hey sport

andi_mn
11 years ago

working in one of my hosta beds i found a hosta with a drop dead gorgeous sport. now i see why someone can get excited over one of these, it's beautiful. now what to do with it...do i just leave it and see if it's still there next year? or do i dig the whole plant and separate the sport out and plant it by itself? (i could baby it along..)

been too hot to work the gardens but the weeds still grew.

i'm off to order a couple of minis. andi

Comments (9)

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Picture would be nice to see.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

who is mom..

does she have a bazillion other sports..

why no pic..

if its rare.. and UNIQUE.. you leave it all there.. and cut off all the mom buds.. you can buy her again later ...

ken

• User
    11 years ago

Andi, you have us waiting on the edge of our seats, wanting to see your sport. It's always exciting when you see a brand new hosta.

If you do not have an album at Flickr or Photobucket, you can upload ONE direct to Gardenweb when you post again.

• andi_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh crud you guys, now i'm embarrased. beauty is in the eye of the beholder you know. do have photobucket and if i get up enough nerve will take pics. also have a 'zounds' with many multiple varied seedlings under it.
    'ain't it all just too much fun'

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Is it a sport or a reversion?

Yeah, there's been a recent post here, well written, regarding the question of 'reversion'.

Nevertheless, it's the first thing I look at when noticing a 'sport'.

The infamous JOTN reverting for just about everyone is well documented here, as is, I believe, 'Green Revolution', my name, teehee.

I divided a neat looking sport from a 'Captain Kirk' a few years ago, but it is so similar to at least two other already recognized Hosta cultivars that I don't think it's significant or worthy of naming and registering, though I'd so much like to do so . . .

That's a very hard decision to come to, since most all of us want to introduce a new Hosta, but in reality, unless you're a big-a** TC plant, the odds of finding something really new and worthwhile is so slim, DARN!

fwiw,

hh

• andi_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, here is my 'sport', pretty ya think? now the bad part..mom is a noid (the green with white edge) but all hostas in this bed have been new hostas so maybe i buried the name by it. so we're just another pretty face in the garden, lol. should i dig it up and separate?

btw, i read up on sport vs reversion and couldn't make sense of it. leavin it for the big guys. andi

• User
    11 years ago

Oh my, another green and white margined one!!! Good luck figuring out who's this one's mama!

I really like that leaf in the first picture. Very nice.
    Just making a comment, not offering any help sad to say.
    Thanks for bringing the pictures to us.

• schiba
    10 years ago

That is truly neat! I know a year has just about passed, but I came across a sport recently too. I left mine in the ground to mature, and then dug it out when it developed 5 eyes. I just divided it and I hope she lives! Please post an update. That is gorgeous!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Shiba is giving good advice on this one. IF it re-appears the same next year (often sports don't), then carefully separate it from the mother plant and watch it for another year or so to see if it keeps all that wonderful variegation. Unstable is the word here.

-Babka

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!