Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idiothe

New Registration: H. 'Sheesh!'

idiothe
10 years ago

My gardening has been somewhat curtailed by a nasty little case of pneumonia. So...

Announcing my newest registration... H. 'Sheesh'... registering it this summer.

Sport of Little Treasure... which is a sport of Little Jay... which is stabilization of of Beauty Little Blue streaked... which is a seedling from Blue Cadet x clausa normalis.

Notable characteristics: nice blue/gray (until wax melts off), attractive narrow leaves set off by white edge, very vigorous growth, very floriferous (mid-season)

and about the name... my better three-quarters is Sheila... her dad called her Sheesh... and I received letters, one each day of my entire freshman year of college off in Boston, signed "Your Sheesh!"

Of course, a sappy story like this is apt to make people say "Sheesh!" with rolled eyes. My only hope is they'll see our little sport and say it with admiration.

Comments (22)

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Just love your Sheesh and would be so proud to have one in my garden . The mound is so compact and love the blue color , Congratulations and maybe someday it will be available in Canada . Great story too
    Faye

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Congratulations on another Registered hosta!
    I really love the look of this one....looks like there's no stopping this one...I like the shape of the leaves...not many around that look distinctly different...to me this one does.

What makes this one special is the story behind it.

Thanks for sharing, Jo.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Forgot........FEEL BETTER soon.
    Regards, Jo.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I love it. I'd buy it if it were available for sure. I think the flowers are especially cute and I love the width of the leaves. It makes a nicely shaped mound as well. Congrats!

I hope you get to feeling better ASAP!

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Well, Jim, put me at the top of the list, should you ever decide to sell. I thought this little gal was quite the cutie when I saw her.

Feel better, friend.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

All riiight, another little one where the petioles are in nice proportion with the little plant; Very nice, Jim!

Congratulations,
    Don B.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I loved this one when I saw it in your garden, Nice name too. I guess I would be second on the list after Melissa, but I'm a patient person and collect slowly. Congrats.

Beverly

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Sheesh! What a hosta! Get well,and how in the world do you get pneumonia in the summer? Phil

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Congrats on the new registration....perhaps you could go with 4 e's ala Wheee!......Sheeeesh!

Paul

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

That is a very sweet story and a sweet hosta too. Take care of yourself. WW

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

Very excited to see pictures of Sheesh! What a great hosta. Just curious- how many hostas have you registered? Hope you are feeling better.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Beautiful hosta. Great name. What size?

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

I look forward to all your posts...great story and plant.

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, "walking pneumonia" is bad stuff. It will take a year to get back to normal, so take it easy.

Thats a cutie, almost a tritone leaf striped at the veins, does it go yellow or parchment in the sun? Spunky hosta always appeal to me.

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

Great Hosta , JimI will line up to buy too if and when the time comes Hope you hung onto those letters,Jim! They make for great memories. I carried 2 in my wallet for 62 yrs.that Lew wrote me when we were going together. Sappy?? No way they are treasures. As will be that pretty Hosta. P.S.Feel better!!!

• idiothe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all! Of all my seedlings and sports from the past several years, this one jumped out at me... enough to want to name it for my number one VIP... glad it seems to have similar appeal for other folks as well!

And rosie... I have (almost) all the letters bound in three-ring binders... one day I will have to start looking through them... we always seem to be too busy making new memories to have much time to go back to our teen years... but someday...

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I love it. It's clausa normalis heritage is obvious and so is the blue influx. Very, very nice.

I heard hosta leaves are edible, so I can't pass on my urge to suggest putting 'Sheesh' in my quiche. Shame on me!

Theresa

• jennaj_z4mn
    10 years ago

Very nice, Jim! I love the leaves and color on your 'Sheesh'...great story too. I hope you feel better soon. I drove past your place the other day and thought about your beautiful gardens. Take care! Jenna

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Love it. Love the story of the name. Love the background of the Hosta. Great little plant.

Steve

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Now I know your name, Jim. "Sheesh" - you're no idiot! Love the hosta color and flowers. If it's registered, does it automatically go into the Hosta Library?

DD

• idiothe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll submit the pictures to the HL when I complete the registration...

• esther_b
    10 years ago

I love it! Very nice proportions, and I like the deep channels on the narrow leaves. When are you gonna hybridize a hosta that has pics of cats on the leaves? You can call it "Meow" and I have to be the FIRST person you send pics to!