Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

3 new hosta hitched a ride home

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Made an unplanned stop ;-) and found a couple of hosta that looked too good to leave behind -

Paradise Island - sport of Fire Island, margins will come

Vulcan - sport of Captain Kirk

Regal Supreme - sport of Krossa Regal, love the wide margins

Anyone have a mature pic of any of these they can post? Thanks.

Paul

Comments (9)

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Nice "hitchikers"

Regal Supreme burns in too much sun... fyi

This post was edited by thisismelissa on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 18:48

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Nice pick up. Very good sized plants. I just got Paradise Island at Harbor Lane Gardens. I love the colors. Here is a pic from Harbor Lanes, the light wasn't right but I took it anyway. It was a very nice round clump, at least 18" across until I asked Jim to take a piece out for me.

-Beverly

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I brought three new ones home today after a visit with McTavish. Love it when she moves things around as I seem to always get a piece of her action. I got a Rosedale Spoon., Harpoon and an Allan P McConnell/ She has one called Eromena that is huge and outgrown a pot so wanted to know if I would like a piece of it too. What the heck... why not!. Love a gift! Thanks Myrle
    Faye

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Sorry Paul , I meant to add that you got some of the ones from my want list. Nice find and hard not to love them

• User
    10 years ago

Nice catch there, dude.
    I do not have a mature hosta on the premises. But some look pretty good anyway. They are strong enough to tolerate my learning on them.

Paradise Island is one I've enjoyed last year and could not believe how it filled out so nicely this spring. Here is a May shot of it, followed by a late June pic. Notice the colored petioles.

Do not have Vulcan but I have Captain Kirk, Boracay, and Captain's Adventure. They all come from Gold Standard, so should grow well I'm thinking. Boracay is new this year for me.

It's nice when hosta just jump right on your trolley that way.
    Have fun.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

The only one I have is Regal Supreme, and mine is just two eyes and nowhere as good looking as yours. It might be too new to have a mature specimen out there, except for the originator and his friends. ;-) It looks to be a very, very fine hosta.

-Babka

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

come on now ... vulcan as a 'sport' of captain kirk?

someone did not pay attention to their star trek lore!

it's fun tho!

^_^ --~

dave

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the pics and the feedback.

dave - one too many mind melds I guess.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bragu - sent you a e-mail.

Paul