Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jays_2bsask

'Lemon lime' & 'Feather Boa'

jays_3sask
11 years ago

I have several identical hostas in my garden, some labeled 'Lemon Lime', and some 'Feather Boa'. I'm not sure which one I actually have, even after Googling photos & descriptions. How can you tell them apart?

Also, if you have them both, is there one that you prefer?

Jays

Comments (8)

• User
    11 years ago

Jays, I have Lemon Lime just recently purchased. And, Feather Boa is on order, due to arrive mid week I'm thinking. So, no help here. I got Lemon Lime because it was a winner of the Benedict Award for garden excellence.

Since you are having trouble telling them apart, I'll be very careful to keep the ID tag firmly planted in the pot!

At this point, all I can say is I don't know one from the other YET. BUT, I like the NAME of Feather Boa the best. :)

• jays_3sask
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, the name tags are all still firmly embedded, but the same hosta seems to have been sold under both names!

Jays

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Hmmm, that might splain some of my confusion with Lemon Lime and Feather Boa/ Yellow Boa.

And what's the difference between Feather Boa & Yellow Boa?

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    11 years ago

A big difference between them is how they hold their colour. 'Lemon Lime' starts out chartreuse and goes towards yellow as the season goes on whereas 'Feather Boa' starts out yellow and goes green later on. 'Lemon Lime' sports quite readily and there are a few out there, such as 'Lemon Frost', 'Twist of Lime' for example, but there are no sports of 'Feather Boa' I can find.

Pieter

• User
    11 years ago

Besides the Lemon Lime, I potted up today Twist of Lime. I really like it, looks very vigorous, and it is a lightish green. My Feather Boa has yet to arrive. Next week, midweek, should be here.

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

They're certainly not the same plant.

I'm behind the proverbial '8-ball' right now or I'd (tomorrow, since it's dark outside now here) to show you,
    so hope you will know that there are mature examples of both here and there's no confusion between them, unlike several others that are way too 'look-alike'.

Both are cool, and I think stoloniferous (sp?).

fwiw,

hh

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Moccasin, Twist of Lime is a great grower plus it puts on an amazing floral display. Nice color blooms, edging more towards purple than most hosta. It's one that I never have the urge to cut the scapes off of before it blooms.

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Moccasin, Twist of Lime is a great grower plus it puts on a really nice floral display. Nice color blooms, edging more towards purple than most hosta. It's one (other than the fragrant ones, of course) that I never have the urge to cut the scapes off of before it blooms.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County