Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

I think I may have finally 'killed' all the Osmocote!!

Janice
15 years ago

Yep, that's what I said. In my zeal to eradicate a 'crown rot' situation in several of my

container hosta that I created by not clearing off the leaf mulch off the crown/petiole areas,

well enough--I have gone to full-strength bleach spraying! I figure, the likelihood of losing them

completely is very high, and the 10% bleach/water mix isn't cutting it! I spritz the petioles directly

and all around the area including the little balls that accompany the syndrome.

I wait about 2 mins. and then drench the areas with water. So far--it looks like---it may be working!

I've repeatedly gone back and spritzed those little balls only to realize--that I think they may be

Osmocote from last year!!! I'm thinking that because they are not orange and that some are even further

away from the petioles, under the pulled back leaf mulch!

Oh well--time will tell if I kill the hosta or if I actually cured them with my over-the-top remedy!!

Comments (22)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

its always an adventure .. reading your posts... rotflmbo ..

ken

• whirlwind_5bia
    15 years ago

I haven't posted in such a long time that I had to look up my ID & password. I do read the forum as often as I have time. But after reading your post Janice, I just had to reply. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time!!!!! Thanks for sharing. :)))) Kathy

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you think it's an adventure reading my posts, ken--you ought to try living my life! (sigh-from exhaustion)

Welcome back 'whirlwind'! I'm glad my little insanity brought you back onboard--and I hope you don't
    disappear on us again--keep posting!!! :o)

I can't tell you what an idiot I felt like when it dawned on me what effort I was putting into killing not only
    the real stuff but also-----fertilizer!! (blush)

• maryann_____chgo
    15 years ago

Janice, you are not alone. I admonished a major soil mix distributor after I found slug eggs in their product and sent them a sample along with an indignant letter. They patiently explained it was a timed-release fertilizer. ~double blush~

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh--thank you, Maryann! They need to make those things neon green or something, don't you think?
    It would save, *SOME OF US*, some humiliation and intense vigilance, not warranted! ;o/ (sigh)

• buff24
    15 years ago

Yes, Osmocote is often confused for slug eggs or crown rot. I remember a post I started a few years ago where I showed a hosta I divided... the photo showed Osmocote in the soil, and someone told me I better check for slug eggs! They were most definitely Osmocote :-)

Buff

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I'm back to report on what I have done and the results so far!

I did repeated treatments of the 10% bleach, that would SEEM to work for a couple of days but then, the tell-tale
    signs would appear again!

So, I took more drastic measures, again figuring what do I have to lose if they will die with this blight if left *as is* anyway--I poured 100% bleach on the crowns/petioles and surrounding soil. I'd leave it that way for about 2 mins. then go back and pour a pitcher of water over those areas.
    It did do damage to some tissue, but in the middle of the damage there was some regrowth. I did this several times, and the new growth would dry up. But, again, I hoped they would again re-grow.

Today--I observed that the blight shows no evidence, there is browned tissue (dry looking) but the remaining petioles that are mature seem okay so far. There's not much left, though, that is old! But, there is regrowth and so far, so good!

Okay--with one of the five exhibiting the blight (two in barresl--one in a raised bed--two in pots), one of those in a pot being 'Golden Sculpture' only one of the three eyes were showing these symptoms. I treated the whole plant the same as the others. But--(big BUT) I finally decided to remove the one eye problem. I loosened the ball, and reached in and wiggled the division out, without any damage to the other parts, more than some root disturbance and maybe some very minor detachments.

I removed all the soil and the leaves down to the crown, and even cut across the top of the crown. I sat what remained in a large glass mug filled with water and a tad of bleach. I left it that way several hours and emptied the glass and refilled it with water. I did this, refilling of the water, for almost a week. Lo--and behold--it began sprouting eyes all over the crown!!

I finally potted it up, and the leaves are sprouting all over, and so far (I know it may be too early to tell for sure) there seems to be no evidence of the blight!

Now, the next level of dealing with this is that I finally dug up the 'Alex Summers' in the raised bed (whaaaaa) which has gone from 1 eye, from 'Direct Source Hosta' in 2006 to 5 eyes this year, and I separated out the two eyes most affected. I shook off all the soil in an area far from the bed, under a Norway Maple and sat both divisions in the 10% bleach over-night! I woke with my heart in my throat fearing I had really done them in.

I have planted the two eyes in a large, large pot and also sprinkled cornmeal all over the surface and watered it in
    really well. I have read somewhere that there have been some experiments doing this that may have a measure of success.

I have yet to replant the other division but I have filled the hole from whence it came with cornmeal and watered in well.
    I plan to replant it in that hole.

Oh, the 'Golden Sculpture' that remained from the pulling out of the eye most affected has shown no symptoms to date!

Also, the other one in a pot, 'American Icon' (new this year and still in it's pot) seems to have responded to the bleach treatments,
    as well--didn't seem to need so many of the more drastic measures.

I'll keep working on this and will report how it is going! I sure hope I don't have to lose any of them, completely!!

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, I need to restate the bleach application---I sprayed it on the areas--I did not 'pour'
    it on as I stated above!

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

• regattagirl
    15 years ago

Lo--and behold--it began sprouting eyes all over the crown!!

hey_j,

I wonder if you sort of zumberized it?

Very interesting....

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa--that's exactly what I thought--if so--it definitely works!!! :o)

• hostamanfred
    15 years ago

hey_j, that reminds me of the time when I found myself lecturing to the staff of one of our larger garden centers in our area, pointing out that a larger percentage of their hosta stock was hit by the blight (after sucessfully fighting it in one of my beds). They patiently informed me, that what I was seeing happened to be Osmocote and I did not need to worry.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Manfred--so how did you successfully fight the 'osmocote' er, 'blight' in your bed?
    I take it--that it was really the 'blight' you conquered, correct?

BTW--that was funny--your lecture about 'blight' in their beds, er, the 'Osmocote'!
    That stuff really is hard to eradicate--don't you think? (wink)

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay--reporting back the results, so far, of my extreme measures taken in eradicating 'Southern Blight' on several
    of my hosta!

The one-eyed crown I removed from the 'Golden Sculpture', unearthed and removed all leaves, cutting the crown back severely,
    and soaked in a bleach solution for an hour and then changed off the water every two days--is doing great! The remaining eyes,
    in the original pot show no evidence of the 'blight', with that eye removed! I did spritz full-strength bleach on the soil
    surface of those left in the pot, as well.

So far, the one-eyed crown is producing 5 additional eyes and three of them are already sending up leaves. So far there
    is no sign of the 'blight' on this one, (these eyes) either!

Now--the 'American Icon' that I also dealt with severely, and did not unpot, but in this case I just sprayed straight
    bleach on the base of the petioles, and surrounding soil, and left it on for a couple of mins. before pouring on a good
    amount of water--so far, so good! I've also sprinkled corn meal on the soil surface and watered it in well!

The 'S&S' and 'Titanic' I treated in the same way and also have added corn-meal fairly heavily and watered in--so far,
    so good! Lost almost all the petioles and eyes on those, but one eye (that was decimated) is sending up a small leaf!
    They did get repeated straight bleach sprayings after pouring on the 10% solution seemed to not be working!

The 'Alex Summers' planted in a raised bed--I removed on Thursday and also removed all the soil and soaked over-night in
    a 10% bleach solution--I have rinsed and soaked a couple of hours in plain water and potted them up, divided with cornmeal
    also heavily applied. Every leaf is turning a bright orange! On the one pot of 3 eyes I have just, today, cut the petioles
    back severely. I've left them planted to see what comes of it!

The other two eyes are potted and I'm letting them play out the dying off of the leaves, in hopes they will also reflush!
    I started out with one eye of this one, from Hosta Direct, and had 5 eyes this year--3 summers later!!!

I really am not very hopeful about those two! The roots looked so fragile when I removed them from the bleach water!!

I've also done the same thing with another hosta that has shown the nematodes--my 'Maui Buttercups'!!!! I'm just sick
    about that one, especially! I started out with one eye two summers ago, and now I had three this year! It was looking
    so good!

I also dug it up yesterday--removed all the soil, all leaves (cut them to the crown) and separated all three eyes and
    soaked them overnight in bleach water! They, too, looked fragile this morning! I've potted them up--set them apart from all
    other planting areas and will keep a close eye on them for a couple of years.

I did test a leaf in the water, (that was also soaked in bleach last night) as I do with any nematode infestation and there
    seemed to be no 'nematode' life evident, today!

How far reaching was the bleach in effectiveness on the nematodes, remains to be seen. And, will the hosta in both situations,
    having been soaked overnight in bleach 8-10%, survive and thrive--will also remain to be seen!

Oh, I got the idea to bleach for nematodes from 'Pietre'! :o)

I'll keep you posted--whether you want to know or not! ;o/

• highjack
    15 years ago

You've certainly been busy and my stock in the bleach company will pay big dividends this year :>)

Why wouldn't you use a fungicide on the plants and soil without disturbing the plant? The plants struggle with the bleach solution and have to use dormant eyes to stay alive. It will be about three years before the plants attain a decent size again. The organisms in the soil are also all eliminated.

I did the dig/soak in bleach/destroy the dirt etc. and am much happier, as are the plants, by applying the fungicide a couple of times and saving the plant. I've never lost a plant with fungicide application but it is a 50/50 proposition with the bleach solution.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess, I'm doing what I've been told to try, by others! So, which fungicide do you (highjack and anyone else) use--how safe is it--environmentally, as compared to the short-term effectiveness of the bleach?

I'm open to anything--relating to the Southern Blight and nematode treatments--within reason! I'm not going to pay upwards to $200 to save a hosta or even a couple of them unless it is a guaranteed fix--and even then--I'd have to really do battle with hubby to understand the need to spend that kinda money on 'hosta' as far as he is concerned!!!

I guess it was lose them to the Southern Blight by doing NOTHING or take a 50/50 chance to cure them, and learn something in the process! :o)

I'd really be interested in what you use, 'highjack'! :o) I'm open to any suggestion and welcome the help!!

• highjack
    15 years ago

I've mentioned it before and provided a link or two but have misplaced the university link. Try Iowa or Iowa State and Southern Blight or the real name of the fungus.

Go to the Bayer Rose products website and type in Southern Blight. You can find which product/fungicide they make that will kill it. My chemicals are in the g/h and it is too hot to walk out there and read the bottle. The price is very reasonable and available at big box stores and the EPA warning is one of the mild ones, probably no worse than the bleach warning.

After fighting SoB a couple of different times with the bleach method, it was either give up hosta or find something else when it hit me again three years ago. The hostas were treated in the ground about a week apart and they recovered that year.

The hosta with the SoB that year were in five different locations so it wasn't as if they were next to each other. One was even planted in a container. I keep my hosta drier now since hot, damp is the perfect breeding ground for it. I would rather have a burnt, crisp edge than SoB.

Thankfully, I know nothing about nematodes. Since Bayer makes a systemic insecticide, you might check to see if their Merit works on nems.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Highjack--I will be definitely looking into what you have suggested! ;o)

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Janice,I'm back! I sent you a couple E-mails. Also check your post on the lovely evening with hosta friends! Phil

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

Janice, I'll be posting an update on my nematode page by early to mid September with some pictures to show how my 'bleach babies' have pulled through and whether or not there are any signs whatsoever of them nasties again. While I'm greatly encouraged, I do recognize that their environment this year is very different from what they had last year -they came from back East- and they likely will show nematode manifestation earlier out there then in the milder, cooler climate we have here on the Left Coast. So, while the first signs occurred mid-August last year, I would expect them to be later this year. I don't want to jump the gun and end up having to eat crow later. As I said though, I do like what I'm seeing. And quite frankly I'll go through the same nail-biting experience again next year, I'm not prepared to deem it an unqualified success after only just one year.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pietertje--all we can do is try--and experimenting is the way of science and discovery!
    Go forth, conquer and share what you discover! We're all waiting in anticipation
    of a treatment for something that can get out-of-hand in our gardens.

I've tried to adapt to the inevitable--it is, afterall, not our design--the way
    things go in nature--if left to itself!!!

But--if I can with reasonable measures help maintain the quality appearance and health
    of my garden, I do want to try! I may ultimately lose the battle--but it's worth the try, IMO,
    at least at this end of the battle, not knowing if I will win or lose in it!

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay--I am very stumped now!! Remember, I dug up a much beloved 'Alex Summers' did the EXTREME
    over-night soaking in maybe 8% bleach solution, all soil having been first removed!!

I potted the two divisions up, separately, cut all leaves off one of the divisions that was showing the leaves
    going 'orange' and waited to see what would happen. Both divisions are producing new eyes--but, the one division,
    especially has displayed a POT-FUL of the white mycellium,(sp) covering the entire surface of the pot, and the
    tiny balls are beginning to appear, as well. It has not lessened but horrifically exploded in abundance!!!

Both pots are now doing it but the one is the worst looking MESS of white furry stuff I've ever seen!!!

Let's see--it is soil borne, right--yet, having all soil removed, the very life of the plants threatened, intensely,
    YET--(Big 'YET') it is back with a VENGEANCE in a new pot of a new soil combo and pine bark!!

My only conclusion is--that it may be possible the SB is in the composted horse manure or the pine bark---BUT
    (big 'BUT') I have the same combination in several other pots with no such results!!!!

I purchased the only treatment I could find at Lowes, for SB, Bayer Advanced (All in One) for Roses, etc.
    and the main ingredients are Tebuconazole, and Imidacloprid , (whatever)--not what has been recommended
    normally, (but it did say for treatment of S.B. on the front label) I guess, and I treated all areas with it last night.
    The pots with the strong symptoms seemed unfazed this a.m.!!

Sigh--big sigh of frustration!! The saga goes on!!!

Amazingly--the hosta have survived my extreme measures, but they are not clear of the SB, except one, so far
    and now I am wondering if it may have been more likely, to be 'crown rot' in that situation, instead!!!

Here, you see the one section of the LARGE pot the hosta is planted in:

Here are the other rampant symptoms:

GRRRRR--and I thought 'nematodes' was the worst to contend with!!

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very interesting read on the subject, for anyone interested or dealing with this 'stuff'!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Management of Southern Blight