Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
amended some soil today

Posted by steeltowninwv none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 17:05

its just a portion of the bed...I did another portion the other day a little bigger than this section pictured..i went to rent a tiller today and they wanted 75 bucks a day for rental feei think that is about ridiculous..and figured I would do it by hand....its very hard work and I hope it pays off..i basically dug this hole u see and mixed in compost and manure..and some grass clippings..then top dressed with composted manure

photo 20140708_154459_zpsux9vkjq7.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: amended some soil today

Hope anyone going into the outhouse doesn't tramp down any hostas!

o

Steel, I've done a few flowerbeds like that. What I finally figured out was doing some "double digging". You've got your first hole dug. Now, you add the amendments to the hole you dug and add the soil from a similar size hole you dig to the left. Mix it all up with your amendments and you have that section completed. You have your next hole, dug, too. Add your amendments and start the next hole. You just keep moving to the left. When you get to the end of the bed, use the dirt from the first pile to finish up the last hole.

I looked up a couple of sites on double digging, but they way over complicate it. It saves handling the dirt over and over.

I re-read this and it doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe looking it up is a good idea. A picture is worth a thousand words.

bk

o

bkay that makes sense..but too late..but I will use that method next time

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here