Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Massive aquarium water change.. I am worn out !

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 17:11

Well it was time,
I pumped half of the water out of my 240 and filtration system up to a garbage can and carried water all over the yard in buckets...

Everything got a good taste of fish today !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Massive aquarium water change.. I am worn out !

Geeezz, you must have a strong back. Now that's love! Hopefully your plants will thank you by sprouting a new flush.

o

Leafwatcher :
I have 4 tanks (150, 90, 2X25)

You NEED a Python water changing system.

I clean all 4 tanks once a week (30% water change) in about an hour and a bit....No buckets ever.....

It is well worth the 50 dollar investment

o

I understand your efforts were monumental. I had our 7 goldfish in my only 55 gal aquarium in the basement over winter. In summer fish were outside. I gave up on that lugging of buckets upstairs, left fish outside over winter. Bernd

o

I have 6 goldfish I have had for 4 yrs now and use the shop vac to suck out the water from the pond they are in ouside. I use it to water some of my hosta because of the fishy doo is good for them. Have to be careful not to suck them up but they are considerably bigger now then the feeder fish they were at first. I leave them out in the winter too with a stock heater to keep the water from freezing over. Only froze over once when the other heater died but fish were okay. Sometimes think I should turn them loose in our neighbor's koi pond the size of an Olympic pool . They would probably be much happier there although they never complained yet

o

Hostas and your other plants are going to enjoy the added benefit of the fish water. Nice mid summer snack!

o

I think my system is a LITTLE better than some of you think ;)
I pump the water from the basement up to a big garbage can outside.. then the work begins. I dip a big bucket in to that and carry it all around the yard and water. I do think the plants like it ;)

o

I was going to suggest the Python vacuum system, but I see someone here beat me to it. Sure beats the heck out of schlepping buckets of water!

o

Schlepping is the right word. As we get older, all schlepping is verboten!
Bernd

o

schlepping is to carrying , what slogging is to slow forward movement ;)

o

It would be great to see a pic of your tank!

o

I 2nd that. :)

o

The fish always hide when you try to get a picture and adjust the lights.. I have a bunch of Clown loaches in there, and some nice plecostumus. There are a few big silver dollars around as well. It used to be a Malawi Cichlid colony with about 200 fish in there breeding and chasing each other all the time.

photo IMG_4358_zps0f948701.jpg

o

I do a 100 gallon water change on my planted tank every other week. I have less than 20 hostas, all potted, so I just siphon into a 5 gallon bucket and make a few trips to water them and a few other plants. Most of my water I get rid of using a Maxi-Jet 1200 hooked to a garden hose that runs straight from the tank out to under a big live oak. Since you use all of your water and if the distance is within reason for a hose you might give that a thought as an easier way to water your plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here