Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whew! Who Else is Roasting Today?

Posted by Don_in_Colorado 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 17:12

Backyard thermometer just hit 100*F. Who else has super-hot hostas? What's the temp in your neck of the woods today?

Don B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whew! Who Else is Roasting Today?

It is currently a humid 77* here. Where in Colorado are you?

o

That 100F seems to be far too much to survive for me. We had 86F or so and it felt very hot. How do hostas in afternoon sun survive at 100F in spite of watering? I watered yesterday and today, every plant got 1 hr overhead sprinkler.
Bernd

o

I'm in Westminster, Bungalowmonkeys. It's about 18 miles NW of Denver.

Don B.

o

I can just water a whole lot and hope they don't scorch too badly, Bernd. Like you, I watered heavily yesterday and today..

Don B.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 17:39

76.4 degrees F

-Babka

o

Ooooh, perfect, Babka!

Don B.

o

Figured with a temp like that you would be in the Grand Mesa area.

o

83 here right now, a little warmer than I like for working outside but not to bad.

I will be camping right at the foot of the Grand Mesa next week. Hope it cools down by then.

o

I know, right? But we're actually a few degrees hotter than Grand Mesa NP today. Gets pretty roasting here sometimes.

Don B.

o

Just a beautiful 82 here today, but the humidity's going up as the week progresses. I've got the air on because it gets hotter on the top floor, so I'm just cozy here inside. My Maine Coon cat is snoozing peacefully on the nice cool kitchen tiles, while the little cat, as usual, eschews the air conditioning and is stretched out dreaming her little kitty dreams in the hall. Go figure.

o

So lucky you are. Havent been to the Grand Mesa area in two years and having massive withdrawals. Used to go twice a year for mountain biking/snowboarding. It is such a beautiful place.

o

Mid 90's here.. and the humidity is OFF the charts ! heat index of 104 was the prediction I think....

o

It's 6:15 and I just got back from walking the dogs. My thermometer says 100.

bk

o

Got up to 87 today--plenty warm. I was out harvesting garlic today and it was just about too hot for that.

o

It is 91 degrees here right now. Today was not too bad but it is going to get worse. Tomorrow 98 and Wed 100. UGH! It is too hot for me! But I will take 100 degrees of dry heat rather than 90 degrees in the south anyday. A few years ago we went to Myrtle Beach SC and it was 90 and very humid. It felt much worse than it does here.

Linda

o

90's today in Missouri. One of the hottest days of the year, so far, but they say tomorrow will be worse.

Last week was really really nice, but now it's not.

And I planted two ornamental grasses and an astilbe today.

o

Getting hotter and more humid here, too. After a week with the ac off, I closed the windows and turned it back on tonight. Hate doing that, but DC summers can be miserable. Will return to watering in the morning. Poor babies are not going to be happy, especially those that lost most of their shade this year. Sigh. I am envious of those temps in the 70s!

Cynthia

o

We hit the dizzy height of 20.3 C (68.5 F) today! but the humidity is at 83% though and was quite a sweaty day trying to do anything vigorous in the garden so I sprayed my sisters lawn for creeping buttercups and rushes and other horrible interlopers.

I prefer dry heat otherwise I tend to drip and the salt is not good for the hostas lol.

Denis

o

It was a perfect temperature today after a week or so of 90 to 100 F in our neck of the woods. Fires all over BC but some under control now with a couple rains and a bit cooler temperatures. Today it was 76*F( 26 C) so great to be outdoors most of the day. I thought with the rains last night that I wouldn't need to water but that changes very quickly, especially under the larger hosta where it makes an umbrella area.

o

It's been hanging in the mid-80s for us all week, looks to continue for a bit. That's unseasonably cool for us, especially overcast. This is awesome summer weather! Such a relief from the last June and most of July, which was bouncing between mid-high 90s and hovering at 100. The hottest June I can remember in a while. Did some of that in May, too (80s, at least). I remember thinking, where the heck was Spring? I'm really glad to see it come down a bit now.

On the flipside, 4th of July weekend is usually steaming hot, but this year, we got a weekend of break and it was amazingly beautiful that weekend. Like perfect Spring weather. Seems to be all over the place this year. As for me, I'm fine with overcast for a while :)

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 21:40

We hit 90 here today and will be the same tomorrow. I gave up weeding and spreading extra topsoil after 30 minutes. Switched to watering the beds, and got the back half done! Glad I did too because our 80% of storms on Wednesday just disappeared. So tomorrow I will water the front yards.

o

Upper 80s today but mid 90s tomorrow with major humidity. Yuk. I was actually getting used to that awesome cool spell we had for a week.

Hey Esther, I've got two Maine Coons. They're a trill a minute, aren't they?

o

It's RAINING!!!!!! YAY!!!!!! Cooled us down soooo nicely...Ahhhhhh....

Don B.

o

Lucky You! We were supposed to get some rain yesterday but we got about 5 drops and then it blew over. So disappointing! I love it when it rains in the summer but it seldom happens here.

Linda

o

Hi Linda, lucky is right.

We've been pretty lucky this year as far as the afternoon thunderstorms go. Sometimes it's just high wind and lightning, no rain, without a significant temp drop, but this year it's been wetter in the afternoons, I'm happy to say. Certainly gives the plants, and us, a nice break in the heat when the showers hit. I hope your afternoons get wetter as the season goes on.

Cheers,
Don B.

o

• Posted by bragu 5a DSM (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 23:32

yeah don-san

next thing you know, you will be questioning the pronunciation of a hosta that is phonetically spelled out on the hosta library…

hai

dave (rotflmbo-lk [like ken])

o

And you're saying you pronounce it incorrectly, despite the phonetically spelled example in the hosta library.

Dave and Ken, two morons who can't find the shift key.

Don B.

o

This was such a nice thread, visiting with you all, and I was about to join in. I'm afraid the second last post was a bit off-putting. What's that all about, Dave????

o

What was off putting? Don, Ken and I have always had running jabs/fun with each other … or at least I thought we did. Perhaps it is only in my mind.

o

San Antonio weather

o

Is it true that rain barrels are verboten in Colorado?

o

Only 77 here,and since we have been getting so much rain,it'not going to change until later in the week,and then only low 80's. It's funny, earlier in the year,people were telling me about how I will be sweltering later in the year,with temps in the 90's and high humidity! What I have to tell those folks is NYAHH,NYAHH!! Phil

o

Like my DH says, "with my head in the freezer and my feet in the oven, on average I'm pretty comfortable." He is learning how to live in 100% humidity and the midsummer afternoon showers, not always thunder storms.
...................................................................... ....................

I'm sitting inside today, while the fence guys are setting the 10 foot posts for my lattice screen. Sometimes your ideas look horrible when realized, but I do believe this one is going to be a winner. By Wednesday, I'll have pictures to show completed. I watered the area where the posts go in, and I think it helped soften the ground--except for the half rotten tree roots they encounter. They have a nice funny shaped tool, like some medieval weapon with a heavy curved head on it, they drop into the hole without much effort, and it works its way through the roots. I gotta get one of those...when I learn what it is named. I love good tools.

Oh. I'm doing fine today. It is only 84 right now, clouded over, so by mid afternoon probably some more rain. The fence guys are almost done setting the 48 feet of posts, will come back tomorrow to install the squared lattice panels and the T-bars across the top. THEN, I'll have some SHADE from afternoon sun. Or, the hosta will.

Then, I'll have a walled garden.
Lattice Screen for Shade

Here is a link that might be useful: Epic music

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 16:43

o

Sure, Mocc - some play, some don't...some laugh, some hurt...I guess it's all in our own interpretations. Enough said.

It is 30C outside right now and the air is thick and hot. Watered hostas well yesterday and planted a good dozen or so potted hostas. I think I'll stay indoors and enjoy the A/C! Keep cool, Everyone. :-)

o

I apologize, Jo. And Don too.

I was judging by observing interaction of men in the offshore oil field. Pretty rough bunch actually. Nothing like a great friendly forum in polite society, where manners and respect count.

o

No worries, Mocc! Things are progressing quickly with your shade structure - can't wait to see pics! Happy hosta = happy Mocc!

Laughed when I read " I love good tools" ... that sounds too much like me! Lol
I really enjoyed cordoning off the bottom of the fence last week. One cute but growing bunny gone to bug the other neighbours, lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here