Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front yard photos to share.

Posted by maow 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 17:12

More soft colored hosta to compliment my Beautiful edgings day lilies.
In the half circle bed currently are- 7 Annabelle hydrangeas, 2 fragrant bouquet and a sunpower hosta.

This post was edited by maow on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 23:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front yard photos to share.

• Posted by maow 6a (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 17:20

Semi circle bed

o

Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 17:34

Any suggestions of what hostas to keep sunpower and fragrant bouquet company? Looking to add a FEW more, no blues and no huge ones though - do not want to overwhelm the existing hydrangeas and hostas, this bed gets midday to all afternoon sun.

o

Beautiful front yard! I'd share mine but it is embarrasing at this point. Tore everything out and starting from scratch. Have a hedge working of tiny annabelles with some hostas in front and thats it until I figure out what else to do.

o

Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 18:13

Thank you bungalowmonkey, it was a lot of back breaking work. Have faith, it will all be gorgeous very soon. The original front and back garden was so neglected, that it only had moss everywhere, weeds, a gazillion goutweeds, pachysandra, many dead creeping juniper and the non descript plain green hostas randomly planted allover. It was so bad, we never came out to the garden for 4 years. Then one day... I've had it and started attacking the hostas and goutweed with buckets of salt and industrial size pots of boiling hot water. We amalgamated the clay soil in one summer working night and day while keeping my fulltime 65 hour a week job, I almost died from exhaustion! I must have thrown out over 300 hostas on the curb! Hated those things. And now... I am obsessed. Only the 3 bigger boxwood by the entrance, the 2 gigantic spruce trees and the devil looking juniper tree near the driveway is original, most everything is just 3 years old.

o

Maow, you could divide those FBs and get something circular going around Sun Power. I read a book about bonsai, once. I remember a description as "This will be a quick project. It should only take five years." Seems to apply to hosta gardening, too.
Kathy

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 1:55

I think Kathy nailed it with the five year project description! Most of my garden beds seem to be on that time plan.

The first year I lay out my design and plant everything I have for it.

The second year, I'm impatient for all the small stuff to grow and already noting some unappealing plantings and unhappy plants.

Then the third year, I move some plants elsewhere, shift some to make room for the new modified design, add new plants, and leave the rest where they were.

The fourth year, I watch the new growth, pat myself on the back for it almost working, and make a list of what needs to be moved in the bed. I'm doing this right now with a lilac bed; the bloom colors and times are all great but plant height is a little wonky.

I now have a couple beds ready for year five, which is to swap plants around based on actual growth and replace a consistent underperformer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here