Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hostas getting smaller

Posted by phyllis__mn 3/4 MN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 17:17

I have a number of medium size type of hostas that have become much, much smaller this year, and Many, many eyes. This also happened to my Sum and Sustance, in a minor way. This year it is actually smaller than my Blue Angel. What causes them to become so small? I also have one that I just purchased last year, as a lovely plant, and it is very small this year. At first I blamed our mild winter....well, I had to blame something,you know!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hostas getting smaller

HI Phyllis,

I've not had the experience, so I'm repeating what I've been told. It's either root competition or something is eating the roots. The most often thing cited for this is competition from Maple roots. I think you have to dig one up to see what the problem might be.

bkay

Here is a link that might be useful: tree root strangulation

o

I had the tree root strangulation, with a maple tree, about five years ago, but moved, with success, all of the afflicted plants, and they have been great since their move. These were growing in the hosta bed, but perhaps too many. I have dug them up and extended the bed. The ones really suffering are Gold Edger, Gold Drop, Ghinko Craig, Lemon-Lime and Golden Scepter. I would say it's all the golds, but Ghinko Craig is not a gold. They all have scads of new eyes.

o

Gonna have to dig one up and see whats going on... post pictures of the hostas with root system..
John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here