Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostamanphil

Pics submitted to the HL Contest

hostamanphil
10 years ago

The Hosta Library is having a contest. A lot of submissions so far but no pics being shown of entries. If you have or are submitting pics please post here or start your own thread. It will be interesting to see the pics. Here is what I posted. Phil
Devil's Advocate- I really like this plant and it grew fast

Chinese Dragon- not to be confused with Chinese Dragon Supreme
{{gwi:1062089}}

Bogie and Bacall

Hawkeye's Gold{{gwi:1062091}}

Borocay

Little Patriot

Lionheart

Woop Woop

Eldridge Gerry

Comments (25)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Nice photos and nice hostas! I'd love to enter, but don't have anything unusual like yours, just youngsters and common plants. Now you have me wanting Devil's Advocate, Lionheart, and Chinese Dragon.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Nice pictures Phil. I might get around to posting the ones I entered, but first I'd have to put them into photo bucket - I entered 9. I love your Lion Heart, so I'll add my picture of it here. Here's my sister's Lion Heart, I took the picture and entered it. - Beverly

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Grape Fizz

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Lovely pictures. Chinese Dragon just went on my fall list. I think I need that one.

Sandy

• chris-e
    10 years ago

I only have this one that fits into one of the categories they are looking for. (new plants that they don't have yet or mature plants that they only have baby pics of) They did accept it. I am glad they did because this plant speaks to me, if you know what I mean.

chris

RED HOT FLASH

• hostamanphil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments and pics everyone. Red Hot Flash and Grape Fizz look like winners.
    Beverly-Lionheart looks really nice.It is an interesting plant.
    - I received an e-mail from the HL stating that the Chinese Dragon pic is not a listed plant and does not qualify. There is confusion (mainly on my part) as to Chinese Dragon and Chinese Dragon Supreme. Chinese Dragon is not a recognized name .Jim's Hostas has it though at $20 and I still like it. Phil

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

I thought I was "cured" of buying new varieties but after seeing Devils Advocate I just had to order it.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I've submitted a few. Here's one I sent yesterday. It's Lime Custard.

Steve

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Chris - I may have to buy that one:)

Steve - Nice color on Lime Custard.

I'll add one more. Red Alert - the one I claimed I lost this spring but it showed up later in my vegetable patch. (Silly squirrels, dug it out of the pot I thought I left it in and planted it in my vegetable patch.)

Beverly

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Submitted as an updated photo of Ventricosa in full display.

• chris-e
    10 years ago

Beverly, I figured that name would resonate with most of the women. As soon as I a saw it, it was a sale. ; )

chris

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Red Alert'...Variegated leaves with red petioles; Looks awesome!

Don B.

• hostamanphil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I purchased a plant from Jim's Hosta that he calls Chinese Dragon. I received two e-mails from Bill Meyer clarifying the name. Chinese Dragon that I have shown is actually Summer Serenade. Sorry for ant confusion. Phil

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Beverly, that's a beautiful Red Alert. I'm glad the squirrels only relocated it for you!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I finally found something in my garden I can enter! Little Ralph was discovered at the Nebraska Arboretum by Ralph Stever and registered in 2002. It must be tough as nails, because it planted itself and then lived through a dry summer without being watered. LR is a tiny plain green guy, but he does have flashy striped flowers.

Thanks for the update. I'll be hunting for Summer Serenade.

• ademink
    10 years ago

Hill's Sporty - Going to take a better pic tomorrow but I'm submitting it as a mature plant!

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I take it Phil you mean the ones they excepted as enteries to the contest? This was excepted and is my George M Dallas as a Mature but is only second season planted

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

This was another they excepted as new called Justine. I guess they take the first entry of a newly submitted plant even if it is small .I am sure there are way nicer ones then this

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

The last one excepted is first season in my garden but was bought as a mature division and she made it into the contest too This would be Blue Haired Lady

• ademink
    10 years ago

Sorry - didn't realize we were only posting accepted entries

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Ademink, I doubt it would matter if it is accepted or not. Sometimes the ones posted later then the ones excepted are way nicer. Your Hills Sporty is beautiful and if it doesn't make it in the contest , it sure should be in the library for sure! I guess who ever posts it first is entered . My Bulletproof was just a few hours after someone else's so was not excepted... snooze you lose so get them in fast!

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Hostaman Phil, I was searching the net for a picture of Chinese Dragon and all that comes up are pictures of Chinese Dragon Supreme, which some even intermingle the two names as if they're one and the same plant.

However, I have Chinese Dragon (a gift) and it's definitely not Chinese Dragon Supreme. Then I found this thread and was finally about to see a picture of Chinese Dragon, but the ONE picture of it appears to have been removed.

Can you post a picture of Chinese Dragon AND please clarify the difference between the two? Parentage and all that?

Thank you, and if anyone else here can do the same here please do.

• hostamanphil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi HostaTakeover.Sorry for the confusion. Here is the pic of the hosta that was sold to me from Jim's Hosta's as Chinese Dragon but have been informed that it is Summer Serenade. It is a beautiful hosta. It is a sport of Piedmont Gold.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Hostalibrary.org has a photo.

bk

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Hostamanphil, thank you! That looks much more like what was given to me than the Hosta shown on the Hosta Library called Chinese Dragon. The one I have is very tall right and vase-like right now but will likely "shorten up" when it emerges next year. Most tall ones from the north come up considerably shorter here the next year. :(

bkay, I'd heard there was some confusion over Chinese Dragon and Chinese Dragon Supreme, and the picture on the HL under Chinese Dragon is displayed as Chinese Dragon Supreme elsewhere around the web. I really needed to know what I had and I think I do now....Summer Serenade.