Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknown hosta

Posted by hostacats zone 3b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 17:22

This is a big green hosta....don't know what it is...small right hand lower left is halcyon. Top left corner don't know either. The other two have names but can't remember unless I look at tags.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknown hosta

Do you know for certain that it's a named variety?

It could just be a seedling, which would have no name.

o

I've never had any seedlings.....so can probably rule that one out. It could be a hosta that came in a cheap grab bag at a mail order nursery a few years back. I needed lots of hosta to fill an area and ordered these. They were the tiniest things ever, I was wondering how they would survive, but most did. The little white eyes that were shipped to me were single eyes and the largest probably the size of thumb nail otherwise all smaller then that. They grew VERY slow. In the area I know that they are in under the pines, the color is just repeated to green or small white margin.
So back to this one, if walmart doesn't sell any that are just green then I still have no clue. This would have been at least 4-5 years ago.

Michelle

o

Fortunei Hyacinthia maybe?

o

Fortunei Hyacinthia maybe?

o

Actually old dirt that might be it. I also checked images of Fortunei Hyacinthina and that's what I think it is too now. I have two of them and one is smaller.

Thanks Michelle

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 8:58

Are the backs grey? They would be for Hyacinthina.

2013 Hyacinthina in mid July photo HostaHyacinthina2013-0714.jpg

o

Eleven I checked the backs of this hosta and they are a greyish color.....a color I can wipe off with my fingers. So this would be fortune Hyacintia??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here