Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Midsummer's Days Dream

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

Weather this year has been remarkably nice here so far.....time to get a few more pics in before the heat takes its toll.

Lakeside Cindy Cee, growing in a lot of shade and been slow to increase...maybe time to get it some sun. Nice edges and margin.

Jimmy Crack Corn, had this one almost 10 year....almost same size as after 5 years...but dependably so. Ground cover is out of control, but JCC perseveres.

Final Summation, in quite a bit of sun, planted in 2011 and starting to show signs of increase. Edges slow to appear. Seedling in front that can be moved, so hopefully FS keeps increasing. Thunder Boomer with the ripples behind and Independence Day to the left....faint lighter margin, a reverse of Rascal, both Independence Day and Rascal are sports of Gold Regal.

2011 Seedling of Love Pat - Nice color, rugosity, and cupping....and smaller so far. Small dusty yellow to left is a 2011 seedling from Tokudama Aureonebulosa. Would love to see this one find another gear....but so far very slow.

Sugar and Spice, makes me happy when I see it...shine, ripple and nice margin.

Roy Klehm, nice center pattern and out-stretched habit. Planted in 2009 and thought it was taking off a couple of years ago, but seems like it is settling instead. Sport out of Summer Serenade.

Peter Ruh, gets a bit of sun, but taller hostas all around....nice form...a Paul's Glory Sport.

Paradigm, a sentimental favorite....lots of divided plants filled out my gardens when starting out. This was last divided in 2005 and probably 5-6' wide. No fuss, always looks good, grows well, if you have the room get one of these.

Night Before Christmas - had declined so I moved it a couple of years back...best it has looked in quite a few years.

Katie Q (2009), sport of Marilyn. I've seen some nice specimens, expected it to be bigger with wider margins by now. Growing in shade of oaks.

Journey's End, nice jump from 12 to 20 divisions this year and then the critters ate the pips....grrrr. Give this one plenty of room. Beautiful hosta, another you need to get.

Garden Treasure (2011), hasn't leapt yet, just continues to improve. Should continued getting rugose and even wider margins.

Thank you for taking time to look. Please share your beauties.

Paul

Comments (10)

• hostahosta
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Paul, Always love looking at your hosta. They all look great.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Paul all of your hostas are nice. I'm supposed to be getting paradigm, but maybe I won't!! I have too many huge hostas that haven't reached their potential yet. I especially like Roy Klehm.

michelle

• maow
    9 years ago

Lovely hostas as usual, thanks for sharing Paul. Your Paradigm is so tempting, love the seersucker texture on the leaves, but I already have Brother Stephan and Paul's glory, too similar and very limited space. Sigh... HOSTA newbies like me have much to learn and much to look forward too.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

I really enjoy your pictures always, Paul. It's especially nice seeing pictures from gardens in cooler climates because the heat has already taken it's toll on my hostas and they aren't looking so great by now. Thanks for sharing! I agree that everyone should have Paradigm. Here's a picture of mine a few weeks back.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Ohhhhh Paradigm is nice though isn't it???
    I had a Pauls Glory and it died, I'm trying another one this year from a mailorder and it looks nice. BUT I noticed its a zone 4 plant....so maybe that's why this one did not survive for me last time??? I guess time will tell. I thought all hostas ranged from zones 2-3 all the way to 9???? Am I wrong???

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

I really enjoy your pictures always, Paul. It's especially nice seeing pictures from gardens in cooler climates because the heat has already taken it's toll on my hostas and they aren't looking so great by now. Thanks for sharing! I agree that everyone should have Paradigm. Here's a picture of mine a few weeks back.

{{gwi:1062389}}

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Like!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

I love your pictures Paul, you have a wonderful eye for color combinations. I'm in the midst of putting together an order based on one of your photo's. Some yellows, blue berry muffin, mango tango and now if I can just find a blue arrow! :)

Love looking at your photos, keep enabling, I mean posting them! :)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Garden Treasure just made it to the list and I'm still wondering why I don't have a Roy Klehm. Almost pulled the trigger on that one so many times, but never have.

Thanks, Paul. Real beauties.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

OH! I do have Roy Klehm, LOL, I just looked back at my Have list. Apparently, I pulled the trigger this year via Naylor. Go figure. Must not be garnering too much attention from me yet. If I can get done with my backyard project, I can spread all my potted ones out again and actually find/enjoy them!