Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with ID

Posted by kiendu WIS z4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 17:54

I'm not sure what this is!! I know it's one I purchased in the past couple of years... I was thinking BobbiSue, because I know I bought one, but don't know what happened to it. But it doesn't look the library pics of BobbiSue... WISH IT DID!! It's probably a little over 2 ft tall by 3 ft in diameter.

Any ideas?

I'd really appreciate your help.. been looking thru the library, but when you don't know what letter to start with...

Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with ID

Why do you think it's not Bobby Sue? Do you have pictures of the flowers? Remember that it takes 5 or 6 years for a Hosta to become fully mature and a young plant doesn't look exactly like a mature plant. However, you can probably rule Bobbie Sue either in or out by looking at the flowers. The picture of those flowers on the Library page are pretty distinctive.

Steve

o

maybe it's Antioch if it start out with yellow edge.

o

i thought antioch also.. or one of the dozen other versions with names ..

bobby sue is tom schmids wife.. a clarence owens plant.. and if i am not mistaken ... fragrant.. and not that steel gray-green ... and i dont think it was ever widely in the trade .. meaning no bigboxstore type thing ...

it sure makes me think a montana/fortunei heritage.. with those long leaves ....

ken

o

Could it be Alligator Shoes...is very much like mine?

o

It's not Alligator Shoes. But the leaf shape is similar so it probably does have some montana in its background.
Photobucket

Steve

o

Neat Flowers on Bobbie Sue.

bkay

o

Thanks for your help... I'm going to check the flowers tonight when I get home from work! And, it could be Antioch... that name sounds familiar to me too.

I'd purchased Bobby Sue from a hosta collector in Eau Claire WI. He had a garden walk, hosta sale, 3-4 years ago, and I know I'd purchased Bobby Sue from him. He kinda talked me into it, telling me it was one of his favs.

I'd purchased many from Bentley Gardens on the internet quite a few years ago... probably 30-35... and Antioch could of been on that list too.

I'll check the flowers tonight!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here