Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnadelaware

Blurb in My Community Newsletter

DonnaDelaware
9 years ago

"Please check-out the beautiful flower bed on the path behind Grosvenor Ct and thank Donna Dorsey for her hard work, time and donation of this area. "Thanks, Donna.""

{{gwi:1062846}}

DD

This post was edited by DonnaDelaware on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 18:17

Comments (18)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Way to go Donna...nice to receive recognition for all your hard work.

Paul

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Your hard work is truly appredciated. Spreading the hosta joy!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Nice mention. It helps to be recognized occasionally for the community work you do.

I'm sure your community thanks you.

bk

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Congrats! You did a beautiful job and I am sure many people enjoy it daily.

Linda

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Sadly so often volunteers get overlooked. Most people passing by enjoy the view, but never stop to think about the work involved...unless they are gardeners themselves.

Recently while out for our morning "power walk" we came across a woman who we see often on our same route. We've never spoken except for short comments about the weather, without breaking stride.This time she stopped and handed me a beautiful rose. She said she volunteers to tend the rose bushes at a local school and while pruning this stem broke. She just couldn't toss it, so when she saw a friendly, sort of familiar face, she was happy to hand it off.

Even as a gardener, I always thought that the rose bushes at the elementary school down the street were maintained by the school custodian. Now I know they wouldn't have those roses w/o this woman.

HOORAY for people like you Donna!

-Babka

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Good for you!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Great work, Donna, and deservedly recognized.

Don B.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

That's great! You've made a beautiful garden spot for all to enjoy. It must feel really good to know your efforts are appreciated.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Good deeds are rewarding to do and to be recognized make them even more rewarding. Congratulations and it is very beautiful.
    Faye

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Very beautiful, DD. That looks like Malaysian Monarch. The Munson's are unmistakable. Did you plant this area with divisions from your own yard?
    Christine

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Your bed is very beautiful, very nicely done!

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

Donna, great job! All the plants look happy to be there. It's always nice being appreciated.

• DonnaDelaware
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I truly appreciate your kind words and support from this wonderful community of hosta lovers! "Hosta Island" was created years ago when walking paths were installed; and is approximately 40 ft from my front door. It became a dumping ground for my neighbor to plant, for instance, Rhododendron and a lilac bush in the shade and a lot of other carp - until he moved.

To say it has been a "labor" of love is an understatement - clay soil and tree roots to contend with. If I could did a hole, I planted a hosta. I'm still amazed that the three Fried Bananas that I originally planted have flourished.

Now days, I dig a hole as wide as I can, hack away the tree roots and mix the clay soil with miracle grow soil which works for me. The landscapers mulch the ground every year which is helping to amend the soil.

Yes Annie, the daylillies (my original love) are Malaysian Monarchs transplanted from my other gardens.

I was in my 60's when I started this project and I'm hoping to see Empress Wu grow into her full potential.

I have gained a wealth of knowledge from all of you, and it is a joy to view all of your beautiful photos.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!

DD

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Congratulations! Love the Malaysian Monarch.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Awesome garden, Donna! So delighted you were given recognition for all your hard work. The garden is just beautiful and I can SO relate to what you go through for each hole. I thought I was the only one.

My primary Hosta bed is on a hillside of granite and hard red clay. The term "dig a $20 hole for a $5 plant" is an understatement, as I dig $200 holes for $20 plants. So worth it, though. :)

Babka, thanks for sharing that neat story about the older woman and the roses.

• User
    9 years ago

Donna, very pleased to see this public statement of WHO did the work, it was voluntary, and it is flourishing. Like I mentioned before, it is one of your credentials for taking on other similar projects. Keep the newsletter, and make it part of your presentation when you get ready to do another special garden spot for another neighborhood.

• chris-e
    9 years ago

Donna, I haven't been here much in the last two years due to health problems, but I am still keeping up with my hostas.
    I remember when you started the garden and posted pictures of the project and asked questions and opinions of the people here.I just happened to be lurking today and saw your post and picture. HOW BEAUTIFUL!!! You have done a wonderful job of creating a garden that anyone would be proud of! Pat yourself on the back for me!!

chris

• DonnaDelaware
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris - How nice that you remembered me. I hope that your health is improving daily; and that your able to tend to your hostas. Yes, me speaks a new language, When they say that's a great "sport", I know it isn't football.

DD