Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blurb in My Community Newsletter

Posted by DonnaDelaware 7A (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 18:03

"Please check-out the beautiful flower bed on the path behind Grosvenor Ct and thank Donna Dorsey for her hard work, time and donation of this area. "Thanks, Donna.""

photo IMG_1810_zps130c1574.jpg

photo IMG_1774_zpscb2447b3.jpg

DD

This post was edited by DonnaDelaware on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 18:17

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blurb in My Community Newsletter

Way to go Donna...nice to receive recognition for all your hard work.

Paul

o

Your hard work is truly appredciated. Spreading the hosta joy!

o

Nice mention. It helps to be recognized occasionally for the community work you do.

I'm sure your community thanks you.

bk

o

Congrats! You did a beautiful job and I am sure many people enjoy it daily.

Linda

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 21:09

Beautiful! Sadly so often volunteers get overlooked. Most people passing by enjoy the view, but never stop to think about the work involved...unless they are gardeners themselves.

Recently while out for our morning "power walk" we came across a woman who we see often on our same route. We've never spoken except for short comments about the weather, without breaking stride.This time she stopped and handed me a beautiful rose. She said she volunteers to tend the rose bushes at a local school and while pruning this stem broke. She just couldn't toss it, so when she saw a friendly, sort of familiar face, she was happy to hand it off.

Even as a gardener, I always thought that the rose bushes at the elementary school down the street were maintained by the school custodian. Now I know they wouldn't have those roses w/o this woman.

HOORAY for people like you Donna!

-Babka

o

• Posted by mbug 6 NJ (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 21:17

Good for you!

o

Great work, Donna, and deservedly recognized.

Don B.

o

That's great! You've made a beautiful garden spot for all to enjoy. It must feel really good to know your efforts are appreciated.

o

Good deeds are rewarding to do and to be recognized make them even more rewarding. Congratulations and it is very beautiful.
Faye

o

Very beautiful, DD. That looks like Malaysian Monarch. The Munson's are unmistakable. Did you plant this area with divisions from your own yard?
Christine

o

Your bed is very beautiful, very nicely done!

o

Donna, great job! All the plants look happy to be there. It's always nice being appreciated.

o

I truly appreciate your kind words and support from this wonderful community of hosta lovers! "Hosta Island" was created years ago when walking paths were installed; and is approximately 40 ft from my front door. It became a dumping ground for my neighbor to plant, for instance, Rhododendron and a lilac bush in the shade and a lot of other carp - until he moved.

To say it has been a "labor" of love is an understatement - clay soil and tree roots to contend with. If I could did a hole, I planted a hosta. I'm still amazed that the three Fried Bananas that I originally planted have flourished.

Now days, I dig a hole as wide as I can, hack away the tree roots and mix the clay soil with miracle grow soil which works for me. The landscapers mulch the ground every year which is helping to amend the soil.

Yes Annie, the daylillies (my original love) are Malaysian Monarchs transplanted from my other gardens.

I was in my 60's when I started this project and I'm hoping to see Empress Wu grow into her full potential.

I have gained a wealth of knowledge from all of you, and it is a joy to view all of your beautiful photos.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!

DD

o

Congratulations! Love the Malaysian Monarch.

o

Awesome garden, Donna! So delighted you were given recognition for all your hard work. The garden is just beautiful and I can SO relate to what you go through for each hole. I thought I was the only one.

My primary Hosta bed is on a hillside of granite and hard red clay. The term "dig a $20 hole for a $5 plant" is an understatement, as I dig $200 holes for $20 plants. So worth it, though. :)

Babka, thanks for sharing that neat story about the older woman and the roses.

o

Donna, very pleased to see this public statement of WHO did the work, it was voluntary, and it is flourishing. Like I mentioned before, it is one of your credentials for taking on other similar projects. Keep the newsletter, and make it part of your presentation when you get ready to do another special garden spot for another neighborhood.

o

Donna, I haven't been here much in the last two years due to health problems, but I am still keeping up with my hostas.
I remember when you started the garden and posted pictures of the project and asked questions and opinions of the people here.I just happened to be lurking today and saw your post and picture. HOW BEAUTIFUL!!! You have done a wonderful job of creating a garden that anyone would be proud of! Pat yourself on the back for me!!

chris

o

Chris - How nice that you remembered me. I hope that your health is improving daily; and that your able to tend to your hostas. Yes, me speaks a new language, When they say that's a great "sport", I know it isn't football.

DD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here