Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Sum More Hosta Pictures

Gesila
10 years ago

Here's a few more of my Sum & Substance family:

Parhelion sending up scapes:

Winter Snow, just a baby, sitting in the hottest part of the garden:

Titanic, developed a border sometimes in the past two weeks while I was on vacation:

Final Summation, keeps its dark green edge in full sun:

Vim and Vigor, an all green sport of S&S, it finally got some vigor this year, it's really slow growing!

Grand Canyon, who could ask for more? An Olga hosta in my S&S collection! This is a cross of S&S & montana f. macrophylla:

Beauty Substance, new last year, growing in evening sun in a container:

Domaine de Courson, new last year, growing in evening sun in a container:

Jaz, a cross of 'Sum and Substance' x Hosta yingeri, this one is my slowest growing S&S member.

Sum and Subtle, third year, color intensifies in full sun!

Gesila

Comments (6)

• User
    10 years ago

Well, maybe this is the time to move my Winter Snow if yours is doing so well in a lot of sun. Mine is in the ground already, since May 2011. It is blooming now. Maybe when it goes dormant, I'll dig her up and put her out in the front bed with S&S from 2010 and Empress Wu 2013. And Satisfaction NOID from 2010. Possibly a couple in large pots up on sticks like Babkas, with a poker down the middle of the pot like Esther has to deter plant thieves.

Supper time. Gotta go.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Lovely! Boy they must have had a good babysitter while you were away. I have Jaz and didn't realize that was in this family.

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

I really like Sum & Subtle and Final Summation. I guess I need to start a "list".

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Gisele, those are all LARGE hosta...are you one of those lucky ones with land, with a capital on the L??

Prime hosta, very beautiful..can't single any out, they are all outstanding ... and I am curious too...we're they looked after in your absence or do they just behave while you're gone?

Have you previously posted pics of your hosta beds? If so, could you remember the post subject? I'd love to do a virtual stroll through your gardens.

Speaking of virtual strolling... You probably know this already... I also happened onto Moccasin Landing's conversation of last year where she received her Wilderness Habitat. certification! Im sorry if i got the title wrong...if i go back to check i will have to start this all over again...likely Wildlife Habitat Certificate...I was looking at her story about the bluebirds that took residence on her property...

Slowly I am learning a bit about my " hosta friends " and it's so interesting...like when you explained your name. :)

Great hosta, Gisela and I mean that literally!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Apologies on the misspelling of your screen name..I just noticed it and have been repeatedly misspelling...I know a woman named Gisela and everytime i see your name, my brain automatically says Gisela like it is pronounced in German. Yours is Gesila. So sorry.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

That's quite a collection,Gesila! I lost my Winter Snow hosta this year. It just never came back up this spring. I just planted a small Titanic yesterday. Here is a pic of my Final Summation,from yesterday. As you can see,mine grows very differently than yours. Just two eyes,but the leaves are huge. The leaves coming into the pic on right are from a Gold Standard,that has decided to go ape this year! Phil