Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Cathedral Windows

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Lovely early season colors-

Giving way to mid-summer tri-colors-

Not bad for a fragrant hosta.

Please add your Cathedral Windows and Fragrant Bouquet Family pics. Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (21)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Here's my 1st year 'Cathedral Windows'.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Stained Glass'

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Guacamole'

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Fragrant Dream.

bk

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

This is one of my 'driveway' hostas. If I had know it would get this big,I would have planted it farther from the edge of the driveway! My Cathedral Windows,from this month. Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Here's mine.

Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I am really loving 'Cathedral Windows'. It's rapidly becoming one of my top 5. Funny, because I didn't buy it for its looks. I just needed a hosta that would tolerate some afternoon sun. It's nice to see the "grown ups" looking so lovely, as mine's just a baby. Looks like I have a lot to look forward to!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Fried Bananas' on May 23rd.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Fried Bananas' on June 9th.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

And in the rain on July 13th.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Holy 'Guacamole'! I literally have something like 16 of these now! This is my largest one.

Don B.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I do like Fried Bananas, but my first love (and only hosta pic I've taken this year) is Cathedral Windows. Here is a pic I took about a week ago.

Cathedral Windows. No one told me the blooms would be so large--love it!

Kate

• dg
    10 years ago

Stained Glass getting ready to bloom.

Deb

• User
    10 years ago

Awww, the family with Cathedral Windows in it is like potato chips...you cannot stop with ONE. Honest, I'll try to control myself here. This subject is near and dear to my heart.

Cathedral Windows most recent photo...

Guacamole, Fried Green Tomatos, and Fried Bananas are all new this year, since I had to destroy my originals due to a mosaic kind of virus. I won't show the new babies.

Stained Glass in May....cannot believe I do not have a more recent shot than this....

Amber Glass is another sport of Stained Glass, all gold

Tortilla Chip, another sport of Stained Glass

Emerald Charger, the 4th sport of Stained Glass. That big guy beside it, NOT on a raised pedestal, is Fragrant King.

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Stained Glass

Cathedral Windows

Emerald Charger

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Must get 'Emerald Charger'!

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

HEHEHEHEE. I knew you'd say that, Don. :) Emerald Charger has some curled up leaves alright, and it can get very dark.
    If you look in the picture I posted last above, behind the Fragrant King in the dim light, you see Holy Mole. No twisted leaves on it, but the color pattern is similar to Emerald Charger.
    Or so it seems to me. They're cousins as it were.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Guacamole picture taken after the rain on a gloomy day. But Guacamole has done very well for me, so it made me feel better just looking at it that day.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Guacamole has done very well for me. From my photos, I must have acquired it in fall 2010 or spring 2011. It's very large, healthy and holding it's color much better than it did when it was young. The flowers are huge. All in All, a beautiful plant.

Cathedral Windows has been a bust for me. I got it in 2011. It has 10 leaves on it.

My Stained Glass is going great guns. Don sent me a start this spring and it has taken off. It looks like it's going to do well for me. The photo was taken a couple of weeks ago, and it has added lots more leaves.

Thanks again, Don.

bk

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Cathedral Windows is a favorite of mine, but mine got really messed up this year, emerging with many eyes but small and distorted leaves. I will do a much better job this fall protecting it for the winter

I have stained Glass too, but prefer CW, if I could only have one of them. Here is Stained Glass a few weeks ago before the slugs won.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Guacamole

Holy Mole

Paul