Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

'Whirlwind'

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

This is mine from yesterday.....How is your 'Whirlwind' doing? Please post pics if you have 'em.

Don B.

Comments (34)

• coll_123
    10 years ago

That's a very pretty color, Don. I think I remember reading last year that if yours doesnt green up like that it might not be a true Whirlwind. So I'm wondering about mine, because it's very pretty this year but still has a lot of white in the center.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, if yours isn't a 'Whirlwind', I like it anyway!

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Both Don and Coil.. Very nice Whirlwinds. Mine holds the color through most of the season. but mostly morning sun

• User
    10 years ago

Don't think mine held the color very long. It was in shade a lot, I suppose. There was one from last year, very small, so I saw one at Lowes, it made me take it home I tell you! And now I keep both side by side. Really dark middle now. Love the shape of the leaves. Very tidy plant. Here it is in June. The little one is the older one. Almost died because of squirrels digging it up.

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Don
    Here's mine from tonight. Pretty much keeps this color.

• keanaz5a
    10 years ago

Here is mine a couple weeks ago.. It is much greener now.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

My Whirlwind, I think about 5 years old. Gets very little sun and stays about the same coloration through the year. Very little slug damage. One of my favorites.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I don't have a Whirlwind but I have a Whirling Dervish that I bought this year - does that count?

{{gwi:1063400}}

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One moment please, let me consult with the judges, Paula...(mumble-mumble-mumble)...'Whirling Dervish' is accepted!!

Nice plant, Paula : )

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Thanks Don! lol

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my 'Dust Devil', another cool sport out of 'Whirlwind', and the sibling of 'Whirling Dervish'. It's none too showy yet, but I'm looking forward to it maturing.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

That is nice, I can definitely see the potential, love the subtle colours.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

My W is holding it's light center better this year. It is two years old. I like it's shape. Not vase shaped, but holds it's leaves upright.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

My h.'Whirlwind' is here in morning sun. It keeps it color by avoiding noon and afternoon sun. Bernd

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Mine too is only 2 or is it 3 yrs old but is still small. Will leave it where it is because it's growing better than before...just took pic and checked for flower buds...none yet, but sport is blooming, lol

With more sun exposure (till 1:30) it's keeping its colour longer...after reading your posts, I hope mine stays light longer...we'll see.

All these whirlwinds are B & Bs .. Biggies and beauties! :)

{{!gwi}}

10 years ago

Went back out, removed sport so I could take better pic of Whirlwind...raining now so pic will have to wait...but, look what I found!!!! Babies that inadvertently popped up with sport when soil got loosened...they are so tiny..how tiny are they, you ask? Well, let me tell you, heeheheheee

On left, in a 'cup' that measures 2 3/4 inches tall is a 3 inch baby - --and that's three inches from its head to its toes, toes being the bottom of its root.

On the right in the white 3/4 inch tall little ceramic is a 1 1/2 inch baby. This baby may not make it as it barely has a root.

HA, never thought you'd see these kind of pics when you asked, did you Don? Hehehehe. Well, it's on Whirlwind, isn't it? Lol

10 years ago

Here is my Whirlwind, the mother to previous post babies. Pretty with raindrops...still raining gently but I had to post ASAP while I still could. It only came up with three eyes, seems an eye per year...here's hoping it'll take off since I intend to let it grow where it is. :)

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 15:26

10 years ago

Getting tiresome trying to post pic...last attempt. :(

• muktowngal
    10 years ago

Photo of whirlwind

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL That's totally OK with me, OK, Jo...I don't care if someone even posts 'Fortunei Hyacinthina'! Those are nice little plants, Jo...Are you gonna try and grow 'em?

Regards,
    Don B.

• Lee
    10 years ago

Whirlwind

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

My Whirlwind. Bought last year. Keeps it white centers also.

10 years ago

LOL. Of course I'm gonna try and grow them...they did all the work arriving, so I owe it to them to try. I think I have a 50/50 chance on bigger one, but small one iffy, at best.....love a challenge! I'll do my best & let you know, ok?

I'm drooling over your hostas, keep them coming! The response posts are also producing amazing hosta! It's a thrill for me to see so many varieties in their prime...these pictures far surpass any books out there that I've seen. Many of you have had hostas for years and the older established ones are unbelievably beautiful. I'm hooked on this forum...eye candy is boundless.
    Thank you.
    Jo

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

All of your Whirlwind are such beautiful plants regardless of how light or dark they become. WW is one of my faves and for good reason. It is under the Black Walnut in Theresa's Angel Garden so it gets dappled shade from dawn to dusk,, and responds as WW should.

How it is colored is all about sun (and temperature?). If yours is in a lot of sun it will stay lighter and you might see little darkening as the season progresses. In my dappled sunlight mine holds it's light color well, but by late summer darkens to where I can barely see the variegation. I think it is just as attractive dark as it is light. But then I favor light green/dark green, or vise-versa variegated hostas.

Theresa

• jennaj_z4mn
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of a Whirlwind sport that I discovered a couple weeks ago. Last year I separated a mature plant and grew them in a row with the intention to sell some in the spring. I'm excited to see what will grow up to be!

• LRB3
    10 years ago

Whirlwind is one of my favorite hostas, and was one of my very first purchases. I was intrigued by the color variation in the leaf middle and by the twisting of the leaves.

I've since gone out of my way to also procure Whirlwind sports. I'm up to 3 sports, and looking to get (at some point) Twister, Victor, Eternal Flame, and Cyclone.

Which brings up a question I have about naming sports. Victor? Foxfire Snake Eyes? Jesse James? I got that there are probably few, if any, rules about keeping with the theme of the original name for sports, but these just seem *way* out there. JMO.

T.

Whirlwind

Dust Devil

Whirling Dervish (new this year)

Whirlwind Tour (New this year, and a replacement for another WT that didn't make it. This one arrived with some broken leaves, but seems none the worse for wear and tear. I do hope it survives to next year.)

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I have no pic to show right now,but mine always turns more green by this time of year,but it looks more white in the center earlier in the year. Mine is in a woodland garden,under Dogwood trees. Phil

10 years ago

Jennaj...wow and by far, in my opinion, the most interesting sport of Whirlwind...lucky you. Certainly worth following up on the growth of this one...bookmarking...

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Mine is 48" wide now, has grown well, takes tons of sun and has been a very durable plant. Pic from today shows it starting to green up.

Dan

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 14:50

10 years ago

Don, you wanted to know if I would try and grow the little goobers ... Well, the smallest one didn't make it (no surprise).

But the 50/50 odds I gave the bigger of the two have just improved! It is producing a new leaf wouldn't you know! I placed paper towelling around it so you could see better. The other small leaf is so thick that the slugs gave up trying to make holes in it...lol

Definitely gonna be fun watching this one grow!!!!! :-)
    Too excited.

It's insane comparing, but I just laugh when I look at Dan's humongously gorgeous Whirlwind then look at mine and say, "you what? You think you'll grow like that?" Lol

• kburg25
    10 years ago

My one year old. Planted in sun from 1 till about 7. One of my favorites! Everyone's looked so beautiful!

10 years ago

Kburg25...that's a big one-year-old! Lovely.

I can't help but notice your lungwort..it's so perky and growing in sun to boot. If I did that here, it would just go limp! Do you have the name of that one? I notice the leaves are not as long as mine (i have a few of them)

Dave, your comments are entertaining but they make me hungry! Lol

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Mine gets about an hour of morning sun and holds its color through the year.
    This photo was taken a few days ago.

• kburg25
    10 years ago

Josephines67 I'm not sure about the lungwort. It's a division from the origanal plant that was there when I bought the house. It gets pretty pink and blue flowers. But for clarification the lungwort doesn't get as much sun, there's a pine tree over head that keeps it shaded longer. My Whirlwind was pretty large when I got it last year. I did notice how distinct the others look w/ the light color variations. Maybe too much sun.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County