Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

R.I.P Radiant Star :(

Ludicious Acres
10 years ago

Almost three weeks of non stop rain has claimed its first victim . . . my dearest Radiant Star.

I am seriously heart broken . . . I have no human children so my hostas fill that capacity in my life.

I know this will not be the first hosta to leave me for the Great Green Beyond . . . but it doesnâÂÂt make it any easier. I wish it would have died under circumstances that were of my contribution and not simply too much rain. I feel like I was cheated.

It was THRIVING and soooooo happy when I first got it barely two months ago. And then within a week it went to mush.

It had to of been some kind of rot. Not Southern Blight. I watched it daily checking for the telltale mustard balls, but never saw anything. The only indication that it was sick was the slowly browning edges. IâÂÂm kicking myself for not taking pictures for future reference or education.

I moved it onto the covered front porch Monday to prevent it from getting any more rain, but I imagine whatever killed it was already settled in by that point since I came home today and saw it was pretty much a pile of mush in the pot. What further perplexes me is that Bridal Falls, June and Electrocution are all within a foot of where I had Radiant Star sited, and NONE of them look any worse for the wear . . . Lord knows I've been checking obsessively.

IâÂÂll be wearing my black silk pajamas tonight in mourning. :(

Thank you all for listening to my sob story. I know there are others out there that have lost hostas. I take comfort in knowing IâÂÂm among friends who understand my addiction and subsequent passion.

Seriously Bummed,
Ludi

HereâÂÂs my little stud on 5/30/2013 looking so handsome.

Edited for grammar

This post was edited by Ludisia on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 20:28

Comments (13)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Oh, Wow, Ludi, I'm sorry.

It was a beautiful plant.

bk

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Oh, Ludi, how sad! I'm sorry for your loss...he was such a handsome little fellow cut down in his prime!

You must just be sick about it. :(

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Sorry for your loss. It was a beautiful little hosta.

Karen

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Wow Ludi - Radiant Star is a stunner. I see another one in your future and YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL in growing it.

DD

• irawon
    10 years ago

What a damn shame ... seems we can't win... either too much or not enough rain. Just remember Ludi, it's just one. I have a friend who lost 10 mature ones this spring. I lost three. The rest of your wonderful collection should console you.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

bummer... sorry...

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Everyone. :)

I know I am severely overreacting. I have killed hundreds of orchids and while upset I would never say I was devastated.

But this little guy just kicked me in the heart.

I will definitely be getting a replacement next year though.

I am a strong proponent of the saying:

"You don't know how to grow a plant until you've killed it a few times".

Ludi

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I always give them three tries...well, maybe except for Great Expectations. I'm on #4 there. Never give up after one dies if you really like the hosta. There are so darned many variables involved. Climate being one, critters being two, but out of the hundreds of tcs, it seems to me that some are just weaker than others.

-Babka

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Aw, I am sorry. I feel like I pour my heart and soul into my garden sometimes so I understand your disappointment. I have lost several, but none of the ones I was very attached to....I'm sure it's a matter of time for that.

But yes, the good news is that they CAN be replaced....remember that!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Got roots still? I had a few pack it in early only to come back next year and Radiant Star was one of them. I have thought this guy was a goner before only to have it pop back up. Put it on the back burner all may not be lost yet. Guacamole and a Praying Hands did it to me also. Would have sworn nothing there just a pot of roots. Wait and see what happens.

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

A lot of places have 1 year guarantees so they would probably replace him for free for you right now if you wanted. I am seriously considering Radiant Star as part of my next Hallson order... After seeing your pic, I am pretty sure he will be in that order now!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I understand the overreaction. I remember what a mess I was when my hosta weren't coming up this spring. Luckily I only lost one. That feeling, wish, that there was something you could do, but there wasn't. Frustrating, but this too will pass and you will have fun with your hosta again.

Beverly

• User
    10 years ago

Ludi, in lieu of flowers, should we send donations in honor of Radiant Star to the Ludi Adopt-A-Hosta Foundation?

The blight is a stem rot, right at the ground. I discovered that the little orange balls can be hidden below the soil surface, at first, only later do they show among the fallen petioles. I am fortunate that I have in residence a very good chemist who helps with the confusing terminology of chemical products or diseases.

He has a revelation about treating some things with the basic cheap ingredient of a very expensive OTC chemical to treat multiple garden disasters. When I understand what I'm writing or saying, I'll try to share that with you. Besides saving some money on chemicals, you'll be saving some plants--including hosta, but also others too.

There is something you can do about the blight and other fungal problems with your garden. We will begin spraying the hosta pots (and shrubs, veggies, flower beds, etc) on a monthly basis for our area. But only my DH currently knows what the simple "solution" is. I sure don't. He is saving our Italian cypress using this method right now. He sprays the soil, not the plant.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio