Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Introducing: Harry Hippo

Posted by blacksheep998 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 18:43

I'm very excited to announce my very first new hosta sport discovery. I was at a garden center today, browsing the hostas of course, and spotted a single gold leaf peaking out of a mass of green. On closer inspection I found it to be a gold sport from a hosta labeled "Happy Hippo Giant Hosta" and underneath that it read Hosta x "Tokudama Flavocircinalis"

Of course I had to have it, and with a little work was able to extract the mutant eye. The Happy Hippo leaves had a very strange texture to them, very thick and with an almost papery feel. This gold sport has the same texture.

I named it Harry Hippo because that's the name of the yellow hippo from the game Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Introducing: Harry Hippo

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 19:46

Love the name for your new acquisition. What you have is a sport of tok. flavocircinalis. There is an all gold sport already named "Golden Bullion", but short of a DNA test, it would be tough to prove.

Aside from that, however, your post rang a bell in my head. The "HAPPY HIPPO" name was discussed in a thread from a few years agol See link below. The whole fiasco of the trademarked renaming of Tokudama Flavocircinalis, is a marketing ploy to sell the same hosta under a different name. The proper, registered name of the plant is Tokudama Flavocircinalis.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: The ref. is toward the bottom of the thread

o

Aww poo. And here I thought I had something totally new and unique. So does that mean my hosta is a Golden Bullion or since it arose independently is it a new variety?

I'm not totally clear on how naming of varieties works.

And thanks for the info about the trademark name. I thought something like that might be the case since it said Hosta x "Tokudama Flavocircinalis" under the Happy Hippo name.

Kind of a sucky thing to do renaming it like that, though with a name like Tokudama Flavocircinalis I see why they'd want to do so in the american market.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:47

I'd keep the name Harry Hippo (with an asterisk) and watch it over the next 3-5 years. Toks are s-l-o-w. When you get some maturity, you can compare the overall form of the whole plant, leaves (size and veins) and the flowers (time of bloom, color form, etc) to the description given for Golden Bullion and see what you have. Patience. You might indeed have something different, so keep that cute name until you can confirm that it is something else.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here