Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

montana Aureomarginata

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

One of the first hosta to catch my eye - a beauty deserving of a special spot in the garden. First one I planted in too much shade and root competition.....Second (pics) was planted in 2011 as I expanded my gardens into the sunnier spots. I'm surprised how quickly it is maturing.

Early season colors-

Changing of the margins with summer-

Leaf is still not quite mature in size, shape and margins - but what's not to love.

Please add your pics. Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (19)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Someone suggested getting on a ladder and taking pics. I tried that with my montana Aureomarginata. Not sure I like the look. Kind of a bit of vertigo.

I think I like a more terrestrial view...

tj

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Mine was new last year...a mature division, and I've been pleased with how much it has grown. If I could grow only one hosta, montana Aureomarginata would be my choice.

Nice as these photos are, pix never do mA justice. It's one of those hostas that just glow.

If you don't have one, get it. If you don't have room for another hosta, get it anyway and make room.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

When I was amassing my collection last season Steve_Mass and a few others strongly suggested I add this to my list. Very glad I did - every time I see a pic of a fully mature specimen I catch my breath. It's a stunning hosta. My baby only has 4 leaves but I have big hopes for it in 2014.

• jamie81
    10 years ago

Paul, how much sun does yours get? I have had one for a couple of weeks, but I can't decide where to place it. I don't think I want to move it in a couple of years.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jamie, it gets morning sun and some early afternoon I suspect as well, especially as high as the sun is right now.

Paul

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Mine gets mid day sun for about 3-4 hours. I think this Hosta does well in a variety of conditions. Truly a great Hosta.

Here it is in May

In June

Last week with a Hydrangea

Steve

• esox48
    10 years ago

One of the all-time greats. And a volunteer is blooming.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Mine looks terrible this year. Its main problem is,it always tries to come up too early,and get frozen for its effort. I can't discourage it. One year,it tried coming up in January,but even down here,it is too cold to come up then. This year,it is very small,and I think it may be disappearing in the future. If I get another,I will plant it in another spot. A beautiful hosta to be sure,but I have plenty of others that don't give me any problems. It may just be a 'northern'hosta,because it doesn't grow well here. Phil

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I saw a standout MA in a picture posted by someone here two years ago. I bought one last year, so it is still a baby.

Here are the two pics (mine and the 'inspiration pic').
    {{gwi:1063595}}

Inspiration :)
    I can't find it!

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I think mA is best appreciated (by camera) at about waist height. It's truly a gorgeous hosta and must of that beauty is in its architecture... which is not seen from above.

Like many of you, it was one of the first to bite me with the hosta bug!

I told my mother-in-law that she needs to will me hers.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

It's a "standout"!

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Here's another photo of a "monsta" taken at von Trapp Greenhouse a few weeks ago.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

mA has been on the top of my purchase list for about 6 years.but I have yet to get one. Was planning on placing a fall order this year but a clogged sewer line blew my budget. I'd called a local guy and he wanted upwards of $300 to rotor root it. My GF Melissa and I rented one with a root cutter for $75 and we've gotten the job done in 95F temperatures. You would all be interested in the looks of the rental guys faces when 42 year old and 70 year old women picked up a 100 foot rooter.

Last summer I laid down on my tummy and took pictures of Krossa Regal, Regal Splendor and Blue Angel. The KR and RS were the best photo views I have ever taken so I went back out and shot Sagae from my tummy. Paul, if you can, try it with mA. It seems to work best with the more upright hostas, which mA is in my opinion.

I'm curious how long the spongy root mess from a maple tree lasts in the ground. The roots we cut out of the sewer had to be from a maple that had been cut down over 10 years ago.

Theresa

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

squirejohn - it was yours that was the inspiration for me to buy mA! I recognize the field and the tree in the first pic, but I think in the pic that I saw, the surrounding vegetation was lower so you could see more of the hosta.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

paula-b-gardner - My photo file is all messed up and I don't not remember the one you saw. Was it this one?

{{!gwi}}

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

No pic, It says 'can't be found'.

• old_lady
    10 years ago

I was going to put this on the single leaf thread but changed my mind when I read this one...

• User
    10 years ago

Old Lady, you have quite a few lovely mature hosta! How about giving us a larger view of the garden some time? Always like to visit a new place. :)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I agree, Moccasin. I love to see new pics.