Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate1970_gw

Help Me ID this streaker please.

Kate1970
9 years ago

Wanted to get a closer up photo but the sky just opened up. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Your best chance of id is Naylor where you received it from. Streaked are unstable so lots of variation.

Paul

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Paul, I did ask and they aren't sure. They thought it was a repeat of the Rotini that I purchased. But it has a lot more white and its a lot lighter than my rotini. Its the busy season and accidents happen. Definitely not complaining since was free and its beautiful! :) Perhaps as it matures it will be easier to id.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

If they aren't sure, then I don't think you will ever get a good ID, as they know their inventory. Rotini is a streaky breeder. No two leaves will be the same. Most likely it will stabilize as it matures, and you can compare the leaf size and flowers, and overall form to your "for sure" Rotini. I've been ordering from Naylorcreek Nursery for many years. They normally send two divisions of whatever you order, but I've never had a "bonus" hosta from them. Did they change their way of doing business?

Simply enjoy it, and perhaps label it as "Rotini ??" Then just enjoy it, as I'm sure you are!

-Babka

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Kate, my first thought was Rotini, as well. I have one and it looks a lot like that. (Sorry, too dark to take a pic now to post).

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just assumed it was a bonus, it was my first order with them. You know what they say about assuming. :) I'm going to take your advice and enjoy it as is.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Naylor has been known to give 2 divisions that are not connected by crown, but banded together.

Paul

edit - On reread, Babka already said this.

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 22:06

• Kate1970
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rotini it is then. :) Thanks guys!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

There you go! Great! It is a darling little streaker.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Let it bloom when more mature, then collect the seeds and sow them over winter under light. You will have then more streakers.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

I did ask and they aren't sure. They thought it was a repeat of the Rotini that I purchased.

==>>> if they arent sure... i dont know how you go beyond their vast experience.. including seeing where they got it from in their garden .. and declare you know the name ...

if they were sure.. they would have labeled it as such ... but they werent.. so how can you be .. so sure ....????

i realize ... that you probably wont be reselling this thing.. but this is how nightmares happen in nomenclature ...

ken