Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Me ID this streaker please.

Posted by Kate1970 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 18:55

Wanted to get a closer up photo but the sky just opened up. Any ideas? Thanks!

photo 20140720_134318.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Me ID this streaker please.

Your best chance of id is Naylor where you received it from. Streaked are unstable so lots of variation.

Paul

o

Thanks Paul, I did ask and they aren't sure. They thought it was a repeat of the Rotini that I purchased. But it has a lot more white and its a lot lighter than my rotini. Its the busy season and accidents happen. Definitely not complaining since was free and its beautiful! :) Perhaps as it matures it will be easier to id.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 21:51

If they aren't sure, then I don't think you will ever get a good ID, as they know their inventory. Rotini is a streaky breeder. No two leaves will be the same. Most likely it will stabilize as it matures, and you can compare the leaf size and flowers, and overall form to your "for sure" Rotini. I've been ordering from Naylorcreek Nursery for many years. They normally send two divisions of whatever you order, but I've never had a "bonus" hosta from them. Did they change their way of doing business?

Simply enjoy it, and perhaps label it as "Rotini ??" Then just enjoy it, as I'm sure you are!

-Babka

o

Kate, my first thought was Rotini, as well. I have one and it looks a lot like that. (Sorry, too dark to take a pic now to post).

o

I just assumed it was a bonus, it was my first order with them. You know what they say about assuming. :) I'm going to take your advice and enjoy it as is.

o

Naylor has been known to give 2 divisions that are not connected by crown, but banded together.

Paul

edit - On reread, Babka already said this.

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 22:06

o

Rotini it is then. :) Thanks guys!

o

There you go! Great! It is a darling little streaker.

o

Let it bloom when more mature, then collect the seeds and sow them over winter under light. You will have then more streakers.

o

I did ask and they aren't sure. They thought it was a repeat of the Rotini that I purchased.

==>>> if they arent sure... i dont know how you go beyond their vast experience.. including seeing where they got it from in their garden .. and declare you know the name ...

if they were sure.. they would have labeled it as such ... but they werent.. so how can you be .. so sure ....????

i realize ... that you probably wont be reselling this thing.. but this is how nightmares happen in nomenclature ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here