Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janann_gw

WARNING! Do not buy hostas from this guy!

janann
10 years ago

Unless you want giant gorgeous plants that make you return home and create a new hosta bed because his plants are so beautiful that you end up with twice the amount you had planned on getting. Then this will keep you so busy planting that your family has to tell you they are hungry before you realize it is meal time. And also when you visit his garden you will learn so much new information that you can't remember it all and wish you had taken notes. Please note that it causes a horrible case of hosta envy in your friends when they see the giant plants you brought home and then they want to know when you will take them. So please, whatever you do, make sure you avoid this guy!

J

Comments (16)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

It's too bad we can't all visit. It's a long way from Texas. I'm so glad you got beautiful plants. I'm a tad jealous, though.

We love pictures, so we're waiting......

bk

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I, too, made the mistake of buying from this guy. Now I have a garden full of beautiful, mature plants. It's caused such a problem that all of my neighbors are insanely jealous! I have to sleep with one eye open in fear of one of them scaling the fence and making off with my plants in the middle of the night.

To add insult to injury, the hostas were so reasonably priced that I now have extra money left in my bank account. Woe is me.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Hmmmmm, he looks a a bit devious to me. He must have lured you into his domain with candy...eye candy, with luscious leaves and strong roots. OBTW, that is a fine photo.

-Babka

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Yes...nice hostas, beautiful garden and a super guy!

Don

• janann
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BK-where at in TX? I used to live in Dallas and in Allen.

I will try to post photos tomorrow. I promised a boy that I would quit in the yard today and play whatever game he chose. :)

I just had to torment Jim and post his photo. LOL

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

Yeah, that one ... can't be trusted.

Tells ya you're getting a good plant, then sends you home with a GREAT plant.

I too have lovely large mature hosta due to this guy's shenanigans.

Weird seeing him without his overalls.

ps, Jim.... love ya!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Janann, I'm in Dallas. The heat capital of the world this week.

bk

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    10 years ago

Someone wanna name this 'horrible' guy?

• janann
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Read this article from a couple a years ago that I found online, it will give you his name. On our forum, he is Idiothe. He and his wife are wonderful people and their garden is worth a visit. And here is another photo I took in their garden, of a different Victory.

http://plymouthmag.com/article/homes/hartmann%E2%80%99s-hosta-garden

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

We have a neighbor that looks like he could be a brother but just rides morotcycles and sad to say doesn't grow hosta... darn!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i didnt know... solberg gave out beauty tips...

rotflmbo ...

ken

ps: ..now that i see his face.. i am going to have to remember where the heck i bumped into him ... never associated that face with this name ....

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Don't want to violate any GW rules. We sell a few hostas, but we're not a nursery. We have usually a couple of hundred garden visitors a year and visitors are always welcome... it's all about sharing our hosta obsession with other like minds. So along that line, I'll respond as a gardener and someone who welcomes visitors...

Unlike Solberg, I still know what a pair of scissors looks like

I've worked hard to develop and maintain my status as RHOC (Relatively Harmless Old Curmudgeon) and here come folks poking holes in it!

Used to do the motorcycle thing... if I do get back to it, I don't think I'd qualify for Sons of Anarchy... maybe the spinoff series - "Grandpas of Where-did-I-put-my-helmet?!"

Thanks for all the kind words... I read the article and found myself wishing we could go visit those nice folks at their garden... they sound a lot nicer than I am!

Thanks, Don! Was honored this spring when Don Rawson visited... long way from Michigan... I sure enjoyed learning from him! (Not to mention great "garden gifts"... won't mention the hosta as I don't see it in the Hosta Library yet... not sure what Don has told the world about it yet...)

Ken... we visited you during the 2009 AHS Convention tour. I may have complicated things a few years back when I forgot my GW name and password and finally just created new ones... but we've been comparing notes for a long time!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

did any of you notice his chameleon like outfit...

his outfit.. hair.. shoes.. all blend in the the aged wood....

whats that all about.. lol

i might not have even noticed that he was sitting there... had you not told me someone was in the pic ...

yeah.. i figured.. but visiting in the garden is impossible ... 6 hours 500 faces .... i think i may have mowed you down either at the convention hotel .... or maybe?? ... a hosta college meeting.... somewhere much more personal... or i am mixing you up with some dude who sold JMaples.... with the same 'look' ....

ken

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link to the very nice article. Your grounds truly look like a labor of love. (Blushing) At first I did think you were Bob Solberg. Well you do both have a beard and a .......head dontcha? and great hostas to boot!

DD

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

What a great picture and a marvelous spot for a bit of respite. The article was fun, too. I love having faces to put to all the names here, so thanks for posting, janann.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Yep, He and Solberg share the same hair stylist.

bk