Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idiothe

WARNING!!! Be on the lookout!

idiothe
10 years ago

A few warning shots was enough to scare them off... but who knows where they might show up next?!

Comments (15)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hosta poachers!!! (For some forum members, that's actually not a joke)!

Don B.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

very suspicious ! hahahha

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Never tell anyone, especially in this forum, that you now have this very pretty cultivar in your garden, actually show a picture here. I read here that there was a guy once who visited at night and then registered them in his name. Watch out!
    Bernd

• idiothe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I lost a Liberty once... second year after it hit the market. Funny, because there was a very valuable Embroidery right next to it that was untouched.

I was intrigued because it was removed so neatly... and the hole was refilled and tamped down.

These two were considerably less frightening...

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Idiothe, I'd like to see that planter arrangement where your poachers are getting ready to dig. Raised beds are used here a lot, as we have really alkaline, heavy clay (aka black gumbo) soils.

bk

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Now I see why you're suffering from Nabahostaphobia!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Who are those ladies, anyway...Thelma and Louise? : )

Don B.

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Have shovel...will travel!!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Looks like a couple of shady characters. I suppose that's fitting, hosta are shady characters as well. ;-)

tj

• idiothe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Janann and Sheila - had a great visit in the garden today! Nice folks from Iowa... enjoyed a good long chat!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

BTW Jim.....Wow, nice garden!

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

We don't poach here in Iowa. We preserve, especially when it looks like we have to 'save' a hosta from neglect and disrespect.

Oh no! That's at Lowe's, and Home Depot and other giganto rhombus stores ....

My bad.

Too many to save, so little time.

^_^ --~

Dave

• janann
    10 years ago

LOL!!!! I am sorry everyone had to see such a scary photo of us! But it was very funny. We had so much fun at Jim's, beautiful gardens and a wonderful visit!

• User
    10 years ago

...and he turned you loose with a shovel.....what a friendly gesture of trust.....now I know I must find my way to Jim's gardens.

And, like BKay, I am studying your raised bed structure. Are all of the timbers 2 inch x 12 inch by however long? Is it treated wood? (Nothing here lasts a year unless it is treated anyway.)
    Do you use the long pins to secure succeeding levels of the terracing? Or rebar? What, for instance, would be the dimensions of that top square layer?

I can see building such a pyramid over an old compost pile. Like the one we just erased which was over a stump.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Iddi - what a great sense of humor. I can now go out and approach my day with a big smile on my face. I might even be able to face my local 'tree rats' if they smiled like that instead of flicking their tails at me as they depart with a dug up hosta.

Theresa