Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buff24

Single-leaf photos

buff24
15 years ago

I'm not sure why, but I LOVE to take pictures of a single leaf on a hosta. I try and pick out the "perfect leaf" and snap a picture at just the right angle and lighting. Anyway, here are a couple of single-leaf pics I took today. Show me your leaf pics!

Buff

Frances Williams (one of the only leaves that isn't too burnt, don't you just love those bumples??)

Spring Fling

Ginsu Knife

LS Mom (or so I was told, when I bought it from the bay...)

Flamboyant (this pic is from last year, but I just think it's cool!)

Thunderbolt (this pic is also from last year, but I love it!)

Comments (48)

• bunnycat
    15 years ago

Blue Betty Lou leaf

• buff24
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! I really like Blue Betty Lou! This year I can't stop staring at the ones in my garden with wavy edges, and this one looks great! Thanks for sharing :-)

Buff

• val1
    15 years ago

I ran out an took these this evening. I am not sure on the name for the second picture. I believe it is 'Francee' but I never kept the tag. If you have any ideas please let me know.

'Loyalist'

'Francee'?

'Elegans'

• paphman
    15 years ago

How about a streaked Blue Angel...

• papou
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1064111}}

You can now look at over 300 pics on my Website under a new topic called Hosta Leaf Closeup . The leaf pics are in alphabetical order and for that purpose, I have inserted a table comprising 35 groupsÂthe first being Group A1 Âall the way down the alphabet to Group Z .

Papou

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

Papou, you are amazing!

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

I've posted this one earlier in the year but for this thread,it deserves repeating, This is Queen-of-the Seas.

{{gwi:968872}}

Northern Exposure

{{gwi:926428}}

• thisismelissa
    15 years ago

Hard to see the subtle variegation, but I LOVE Obsession:

• hostasformez4
    15 years ago

The pictures with the dew in droplets are so wonderful to look at.

You must get up at the crack of dawn to catch pictures like those.

Connie

• davemidohio
    15 years ago

Buff,
    You're talking to yourself!!! lol

Here is a September Sun

Great Expectations
    {{gwi:1064117}}

• bunnycat
    15 years ago

Arc de Triomphe

Deep Blue Sea unfurling May 20th. Gets to be a darker blue later.

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Earth Angel. A real beauty this year! Phil
    {{gwi:1064119}}

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

Wow, what a treat for this hosta newbie to be able to see closeup details of the leaves. Thanks ya'll!!

• bunnycat
    15 years ago

A few more....

Abiqua Drinking Gourd leaf and flower

Summer Breeze leaf

Revolution

Sun Power leaf

Capt. Kirk leaf

Pineapple Upside Down Cake leaf

• Janice
    15 years ago

I had fun today, Buff--taking your thread as a suggested project! Here are some I took:

A 'fancy' leaf of 'Francee' caught my eye:

Thank you, Buff for inspiring this fun for me, and the opportunity to see all the beautiful pics.
    posted, so far!!

• buff24
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OHHHHHHHHH MY! What fantastic eye candy!!! These pictures are EXACTLY what I was talking about... by the looks of these pictures, you would think our hostas never have a blemish on them!

val1--that Loyalist is just TOO cool!
    paphman--Streaked Blue Angel is making me drool! I LUUUUV the streakers!
    Papou--your pics are great! I always admire your uncanny ability to keep track of all the "stats" on your hostas. Warms my heart!
    Phil--your QOTS pics is absolutely fantastic! Have you considered entering any pics in to the AHS Journal photo contest?? And your Earth Angel pic is gorgeous, I just added that one to my collection this year, can't wait til mine looks like that!
    thisismelissa--again, I LUUUUUUV the streakers! Thanks for sharing that one.
    Dave--I'm confused, what do you mean I'm talking to myself?? Love your GE pic, by the way.
    bunnycat--Arc de Triomphe is not one we hear about too much, I really like the softness of the variegation.
    And Janice--your pictures are ALL spectacular! You should also consider entering some of your pictures in to the AHS Journal photo contest. I think my favorites of the ones you posted are Dick Ward, Earth Angel, Ice Age Trail, and Moonlight Sonata! I'm actually surprised at how much I like Moonlight Sonata, I'm not usually one for the solid green ones, but the shape of that one really caught my eye!

Everyone, thanks again for sharing your pics... keep 'em coming!!

Buff

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

My first posting in a while. Thank's again Phil for nudging me to open a new Photobucket account.

{{gwi:1064183}}

{{gwi:933913}}

{{gwi:933911}}

{{gwi:1064185}}

{{gwi:1064186}}

{{gwi:933915}}

{{gwi:1064187}}

{{gwi:933908}}

PS. This last one is the only one that has the "white line" and I'm not sure it's even suppose to have it?? Neither my Toy Soldier or Deja Blue has even a hint of one.

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Buff,believe it or not,but that Earth Angel has only been the garden since 2006! It was a standard 1 gallon pot. The first year it wasn't so great,but came back with huge leaves this year. Mct,glad you're back posting with us. Great single leaf pics! Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

Mctavish6-

Your leaf photos are beautiful. What is the name of the font you used to label them? Thanks.

-Babka

• loisflan
    15 years ago

The often-overlooked, but beautiful, undulata Albomarginata.

{{gwi:1024687}}

• mctavish6
    15 years ago

Babka, the font is Daly Hand. I'm glad you liked the pictures.

• Janice
    15 years ago

'McT'--awesome pics. as usual--I always expect yours to be just wonderful and very professional!

You're right 'loisf'--if you renamed some of those undulatas and reintroduced them, I bet some people
    would be desperate to acquire them! Very nice pic.!:o)

• buff24
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, all these pictures are so fantastic! Thank you all so much for posting them... and it's great to see you posting again, mctavish! Your pictures are wonderful, I think my favorite is Inniswood! Gorgeous!

Thanks again,
    Buff

• arleneb
    15 years ago

I'm loving this thread . . . Here's my contribution . . . Kiwi Full Monty.

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Here's Sundancer,another of those green and white ones everyone knows! Phil
    {{gwi:942685}}

• regattagirl
    15 years ago

So 'Kiwi Full Monty' looks like 'Striptease'? Does anyone know about the hostas with the 'Kiwi' name and if 'KFM' has similar HVX problems as 'ST'?

Thanks!
    Regattagirl

• papou
    15 years ago

Kiwi Skyscraper.
    Kiwi Full Monty has more blueish leaves than Striptease...I never saw any signs of HVX on any of those so far....

Papou

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Papou's right -- in addition, I find that KFM has a more subtle coloration than Striptease. I think it's absolutely gorgeous!

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

I have 2 KFM's and for me at least,they grow a lot faster than Striptease. My Striptease looks like a mini,when compared to the KFM's,which are a lot younger. Phil

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Frances Williams. Phil
    {{gwi:1042503}}

• creatingadream
    15 years ago

Here's a mystery single leaf. It's 12" long by 6.5" wide. If anyone has any guesses, please feel free to share.
    {{gwi:1064191}}

Diane

• buff24
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Phil, nice FW! Gorgeous!

Hey Diane... nice picture, but I have no idea what that one could be... I'll take a stab, though, and say Alligator Shoes???

Buff

• Janice
    15 years ago

Don't think it's 'Alligator Shoes'--too yellowy green!! :o) Could it be 'Gold Standard' in the shade?

Do you have any leaf measurements, Diane? Did it start out all green or bluish green and then settle into a margin,
    or was it defined as it is, right now--from the 'get go'?

• buff24
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I kinda thought Gold Standard too, until I saw she said the leaf is 12" by 6.5". I didn't think GS leaves could get that big?? Anyway, yes it does seem to have the coloring of GS, I'm just not sure about the leaf size?? Hmmm....

Buff

• Janice
    15 years ago

Duhhhh! That's what I get for trying to sneak a bit of the 'forum' in before getting ready for church--obviously
    not taking in all the 'read'!!

I was wondering if it might be 'Beckoning' if it starts out all blue-green!

• creatingadream
    15 years ago

Oh, I want it to be 'Beckoning' so bad! How long has 'Beckoning' been around? There were a few of these hostas in the garden so I'm sure she's had it for a few years. I got this hosta and couple others, one that I suspect to be 'Ice Age Trail', at least that's what I'm hoping it is and the other is definitely 'Pandora's Box', from a friend's mother's garden. Her mother, an artist, only has unusual or interesting plants in her garden. They are selling the house and I am hoping to get more from the garden before the house sells.

No, definitely not GS. I have that and this leaf is too large. Thanks for guessing!

Diane/OH

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

Regattagirl-

I believe the Kiwi hostas come from a grower in Australia. There are a whole bunch of "Kiwi" hostas. Just like Mary Chastain names her hostas "Lakeside xxx", the grower in Australia calls his "Kiwi xxx". When it was first introduced, Kiwi Full Monty was called the blue version of Striptease.

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Buff,here is a pic of my Golden Sunburst,which "morphed" from a Frances Williams. Notice,it still has a small vestige of FW,right in the center of the leaf! Phil
    {{gwi:1064193}}
    ...and here is Leola Fraim. Glad I'm heading north in a couple days. It is 95 today,and not a hint of rain! Phil
    {{gwi:1064195}}

• Janice
    15 years ago

So really neat, Phil!!! I have a 'Golden Sunburst' as well!!!

Are you still headed our way on Wednesday?

Janice

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Yowza,Janice!! Unless we have hell,or high water,but we know that won't happen around here! We did get 1/2 inch of rain last night from a thunderstorm,and more is expected today. It looks we will be traveling through rain on the way up there,but travel,we will! See ya soon!! Phil

• dbowemd
    15 years ago

Diane/creatingadream, that unknown leaf makes me think of Inniswood.

Dave

• inlimbo
    15 years ago

Ooooh - a favorite part... mixing hostas and photography!

Have posted these before, but kinda like 'em... and given the post-vacation, heat-afflicted state of my hostas, older's better!

Sagae

Sagae, again

though not a single leaf, sneaking in a closeup of Love Pat...

and really cheating....

Heresy that it may be, there are a few other, non-hosta, gorgeous leaves... but only a few ---

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

Just got this one from QandZ
    Starship

• Janice
    15 years ago

Oh wow, 'inlimbo' and 'woodthrush' that is an awesome leaf!!! I must look into that one!!!

Phil---hurry up and get here. I've got a good dessert waiting for you! Hope you like strawberries
    and raspberries---and cream cheese and calories and whipped cream--and lemonade or coffee!!!!! :o)

Buff--you too!!!

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Janice,still have to sleep tonight!,Everything sounds good!
    Woodthrush,that Starship,looks a lot like one of my Gold Standard sports which has very similar coloring. It is related to Gold Standard? Check out this pic of one I separated last year. Phil

{{gwi:924986}}

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

Phil,
    QandZ site says Starship is a sport of Capt Kirk. Capt Kirk is a sport of Gold Standard. Good eye!
    Pam

• buff24
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooh! Oooh! I like strawberries and raspberries and cream cheese and whipped cream and calories!!! YAY! Can't wait to come over tonight Janice... see you and Phil then!

Buff

• Janice
    15 years ago

And, I can't wait till you and Maekenna and hubby come, too!

Hubby will come, too, won't he?