Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Hostas, like a Drug!

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

I'm pacing back and forth, awaiting my final order for the season of 20 hosta. Just got home from work, and I'm getting withdrawals like some kind of junkie waiting for the UPS 'courier' do drop off my fix!

Pics when they get here! Ahhhhhh!!!

Don B.

Comments (42)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, the sweet sound of the doorbell, preceded by the melodic rumble of the Big Brown Truck....Ripped the box open right on the porch...Sweet Hosta Fever!

Wow, 'Hoosier Dome' leaves are mondo-giganto!

A kid on Christmas,
    Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Oh man. I am soooooooooo jealous! Nice haul, Don!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Flower-Frenzy. Whew what a fix! : )

Don B.

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

What plants did you order?

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

I know what you mean. I was on Facebook this afternoon and saw that Funkie Gardens had all hosta 50% off and I literally ran for my car. I was over the moon and could hardly concentrate on the road. I came back with 9 new hosatas. I have got it really bad.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Wow... Beautiful! Thanks for the vicarious "high!" :)

• User
    10 years ago

What a great haul you made Don......
    ....and VP so did you. Wish we had a nursery so close I could jump in the car and pick up a few new ones. 50% off is too good to pass up.

Looking GOOD there.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vanessa, I got
    RIPTIDE
    PILGRIM
    ASPEN GOLD
    GRAND TIARA
    RED OCTOBER
    AUSTIN DICKINSON
    FRAGRANT FIRE
    DICK WARD
    UNFORGETTABLE
    HARPOON
    SPILT MILK
    DIANA REMEMBERED
    SEPTEMBER SUN
    DANCE WITH ME
    DIVA
    NIAGARA FALLS
    MISSISSIPPI DELTA
    ALL THAT JAZZ
    CHESAPEAKE BAY and
    HOOSIER DOME

LOL vpeterson, running for the car! Oh, we understand!
    Thanks, Jadie and Mocc!

I'm gettin em potted up; I'll post more pics later : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Nice group, Don. Keep an eye on Dance With Me - I know a few people that have struggled with that one.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, Paul. Very good to know.

Don B.

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

OK, I picked up at 50% off (Funkie Gardens)

World Cup
    Clear Fork River Valley
    Lakeside Cha Cha
    The King
    Mango Tango
    Spilt Milk
    Lakeside Paisley Print
    Pistache
    Lionheart

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Don, what a list. We will graciously allow you until tomorrow to get your new additions on camera. Then we want more photos!!

You too VP! :)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, Jadie, it's the best pic I could muster tonight. More tomorrow. In this pic you can kinda see
    HOOSIER DOME
    MISSISSIPPI DELTA
    ALL THAT JAZZ
    NIAGARA FALLS
    CHESAPEAKE BAY (Hooray for Olga)!
    DIVA
    DICK WARD
    UNFORGETTABLE
    ('Harpoon' got almost completely cut out of the pic) ha ha, their leaves are still crinkly from the trip : )

I'll pot the rest in the morning...Thanks for looking.

Very good choices, vpeterson! Please grace us with some pics at your earliest convenience?

Don B.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    10 years ago

VP, good choices and what a nice discount. I have LS Paisley Print, Lionheart, Mango Tango, and Clear Fork River Valley. I'm in love with CFRV, like LSPP, think Lionheart is growing quickly for me, and Mango Tango is a real looker.

I hesitate to upload pictures on this thread, do not want to detract from your spotlight.

But oh mercy, Don, I hope your (and mine too) Dance With Me doesn't encounter any problems. I lost Stitch In Time, it was so tiny and puny last year. Mango Tango looks great. And so does Dance With Me. Now I'm afraid to touch it!

What kind of issues does it have?

• User
    10 years ago

You caught the bug alright. Hosta is the drug I'm thinkin of.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bryan Perry....Love is the drug

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc, feel free. I don't mind. Hey, I don't see that pic I thought I just posted...What the...? I'll try it again.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, sorry Mocc, I should pay attention. You were referring to VP.

Tired,
    Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Nope, no apology needed. There will be time to do it all. Mostly "later."

After many mentionings of HARPOON, it is now on my wish list. I began looking at it from the time Phil (was it you, Phil?) mentioned my Sam Spade looked like Harpoon. Anyway, it is officially WANTED alive.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Pressure is on, you two Shopaholics....no, I mean Hostaholics, LOL
    To get pics posted when potted, planted.....this surely is living vicariously, isn't it? LOL

Don, your balcony hosta parade has me drooling with envy...ooooohh, look at all that hosta!!! I am looking forward to seeing how you're going to position them in your already-lovely garden. I have to go back and look again at your pic....

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Don, you have good taste and got a bunch of healthy looking plants, congratulations! Otherwise your first hostaholic posts in present thread read the same as when I have a few beers, nothing wrong with that. Welcome to be really addicted to this hobby, and you need a good hobby to have a good life! I bought 165 new cultivars since 2009 to add to the then 35 different ones, know how it feels, actually started hybridizing now, it is good to be a hostaholic! Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 14:21

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I don't think hostas or other plants are like a drug. I think they are sentient beings who get us under mind control so that we will plant them, feed them, give them water and propagate them so that they can spread throughout the world. I think they are constantly searching for new caregivers, and we enable them to do so!

Sandy

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Bernd, I didn't have any beer, but I had 20 shots of Hosta, and being a second-season newbie, I'm still a lightweight! If the day ever comes when I don't get giddy and maybe a little silly when I get Hosta, that is the day i should stop buying them.

I agree with you; a good hobby is directly connected to a good life...And today, life is good, sir! : )

OK, got some pics here in a more photo-friendly arrangement...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Dance With Me' is a true beauty. I hope it likes it's new home here.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Hoosier Dome' and 'Niagara Falls'...These all look to be divisions off mature plants, every single one. Field-grown. Green Mountain Hosta Nursery is another very good place to buy Hosta. If Hallson Gardens is a 10, Green Mountain is an 8 or a 9, in my opinion.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Don and VP I am so jealous of all the beautiful choices you get .... and the great sales are just an added bonus. Myrle said her sister lives about 15 minutes of Sebright and in the last four or five days has gone back four time but today was just a single hosta so she must have ran out of small ones to chose from. That would be 37 in those trips. None worth having on sale around here and the one local is expensive and not on sale. Myrle and I both are on withdrawal! Congratulations on the great hauls . Now I am depressed lol

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A small part of an 'All That Jazz' leaf is peeking in on far left in this pic of 'Diva' with 'Mississippi Delta', I believe, on the right.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Who's the retailer near you, Faye. Is it Budd gardens, or is that not in your area?

Sorry I depressed you! I am hoping for the opposite reaction when I post pics! Sorry again! : (

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Mississippi Delta' with 'Chesapeake Bay' on right. Got my Olga Petryzyn fix in a big way with this shipment. : )

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I put 'Red October' in a 'permanent' pot to show off those red petioles on the front porch. I believe that's 'Austin Dickinson' right next to it.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of the other pics I took came out looking very blurry. It's only about 88 deg. outside, so I'm going to go finish up out there for the day, and while I'm at it, see about getting some more pics (That are actually postable).

Thanks for looking, peeps.

Regards,
    Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Very nice plants from mail-order. You'd think there would be a lot of mangled leaves,considering how big the leaves are! Nice haul,even though I think you newbies may be a bit crazy! Lol! Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Oooh yeah, the way Mississippi Delta looks, that big leaf, you can always tell which plant it is....broad leaves, flat leaves, and green. Just like the Delta itself. Chesapeake Bay is fine! Look at the white backs on it, like whitecaps on the water. Don't have it. Love the Olga hosta, but what I have so far will do me for a while. Except, there is one missing from her website that I wanted to see, a blank spot next to the very last one in her alphabet. Mystery.

I'll have to research Diva....it seems to be golden, and I've a weakness for them yellows. They light up my garden.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful!

I need to buy Chesapeake Bay, Mississippi Delta, and Manhattan...they are all gorgeous plants, and they cover three of the places I've lived (Baltimore area, Mississippi Gulf Coast, and NYC)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc, pssssst......I think that missing plant on Olga's website is 'Viva Las Vegas'....Found it in the hosta library...

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Nice haul there, Don! Dick Ward and Dance With Me are the only ones that I have from your new order. I like both of them a lot, especially Dance With Me. Mine were from Green Mtn, also, last year. DWM has grown a lot--gets considerably more sun than DW. It's such a fresh spring-looking hosta.

Besides the fragrants, All That Jazz, Chesapeake Bay & Diva just got added to my hosta hankering list.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Don , Just kidding about being depressed. You made such a great haul and am very happy for you. What an exciting time when an order comes. I too am a 2 yr newcomer but we have to depend on local nurseries and mail order from Ontario or Nova Scotia to get nice plants. Myrle has ordered form others but not sure where she does get them. I haven't got into too many orders except a couple fall sales from Hosta Geek in NS. Those that come are past the season so the excitement of seeing them in the spring seems to be the best and largest ones unless we get smaller ones about 70 miles from us in Kelowna , BC
    Never meant to burst your bubble and am very happy to see such beauties. It is like a rub off hosta hit! Thanks
    Faye

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Hi Don. Your new babies are looking so good. Lucky you. Love the pictures and looking forward to seeing more!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

You don't mess around, Don! I can't get over the fact at how quickly you got the potting job done. While you were pacing like a caged lion, awaiting your order you must have had everything ready to go!!!

Amazing hosta...they will be stunning next year, especially size-wise! WOW

I was grinning when viewing your potted display, knowing exactly the elation and satisfaction you must have been feeling when you were done. Getting "giddy and silly " is what it's all about. You're right...if we stop getting excited and lose that certain feeling, why bother? Sort of like being in love actually...lol

Your enthusiasm is so darn contagious...gotta love it.

BTW...I enjoyed your response re potting up hosta in the 12step thread....I lost it somehow and found it under 'bookmark'.thank you..

Hope you and yours are relaxing out back today, enjoying your lovely hosta gardens!
    Sincerely, Jo.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Now you did it..I am about to go on a Hosat frenzie and I think they will all have to end up in pots since I have run out of room in the yard!

Do you over winter any in pots and how so? Looks like you have one in a pot that is there to stay since it is in a far better looking than the little black ones..lol

I too have a thing for bright colored Hosta since I have too many dark areas and little full spots abot my yard.
    Beautiful every one of them and I love how you gave us a closeup of all of them..

Mike

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Some cultures eat them, cut them when the eyes are coming up and do them like asparagus. Others wait and have them a little older, and treat them like dandelion greens, with vinegar or salad dressing.

I like to steep them, like tea.

So you see, hosta are not LIKE a drug, they ARE a drug.

So you know why my wife wonders why I am always in the garden when she can't find me.

I'm out there, gettin' high.

BWAH HA HAH!

^_^ --~

dave

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, meyermike....As far as overwintering anything I currently have in pots, I'm just going to put them in a corner of my garage (which is unheated) when they go dormant...Did it with a few last year, and they all pulled through OK...Yeah, 'Red October' will probably stay in a pot for display on my front porch. I have (from this shipment) 'Spilt Milk' in a decorative pot as well. I'll probably find a special spot for that one in the garden, since I think it'll get pretty big (and the leaves are certainly showy)...

Jo...Oh yes, I WAS ready to go when the shipment got here, I potted 10 up, and then potted up the other 10 Saturday morning...I'll start another thread when I get around to planting all the biggies...

Thanks, Jadie and ci lantro, you too NHL!

Faye, glad you got some vicarious pleasure out of the pics.

Dave, you're weird...I knew there was something about you I liked! : )

Thanks for looking!

Don B.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Those are beautiful! I'll join the others in being impressed with how quickly you got them all potted.

Dave, LOL.