Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

Decided I am finished for the season

brandys_garden
10 years ago

Well, everytime I thought I could pay for Irish Luck from Hallson... Something would come up! So, I am thinking there is a reason for that and I should wait for now.

Today, was the Advanced Algebra final. It did not go well. My brain is totally fried mush right now. After, I was watering hostas and I don't know why I was holding one of the pots while doing so... Ask my mushy fried brain! But, I was looking at it and just dropped it on the ground! It shattered! The hosta is fine. It was one of my expensive pots, too, of course! GRRRRRRR!! But I did some switching and I rushed out and got a cheap terra clay pot replacement.
So here's how the patio ended up this summer...

Other side

Luna Moth and U. Albomarginata

Something has been munching on my Blue Mouse Ears again and it's making me so mad!

Fire Island has 2 larger new leaves and another one coming in now... And the new "eye" is still really small?

Comments (16)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Time to slow down and enjoy the lovely hosta you have already collected. You've got some really good ones there.

Kate

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Too bad about the broken pot :-( ...your hosta are all lovely...do you have a neighbourhood grasshopper? Or a wascally wabbit?

Your Wheee! is gorgeous, Brandy!

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the patio is too far up for a wabbit to get to and too close to the cats. I doubt it. Probably a grasshopper, that was my guess as I checked it for slugs and cutworms. I did find a spider on one of the statues today with a caterpillar so maybe that was the culprit? If so, GOOD spider! Thank you!

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Brandy, FYI garage sales are great sources for pots. All of my pots have come from garage sales or picked up curbside. The most that I've spent for one is $10 and that was for a large fleur-de-lis concrete cemetery planter that matched two others that I had (picked up curbside). I splurged on a ceramic one for $3 but, for the most part, I can find tons of small-medium sized pots for $1 and under. A lot of sales around here have a 'free pile' at the end of the driveway and flower pots are often in that pile. I collect all the freebie black nursery pots for a neighbor who has an annual hosta sale.

All used pots get a good wash w/ some bleach or a trip through the dishwasher with some xtra bleach splashed in the
    DW.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Decided I am finished for the season

==>>> yeah sure..

i wont bet my shiny nickle on that.. lol..

who among us.. has NOT said the same thing EVERY SINGLE YEAR ... only to find 20 more pots come fall ... lol ...

glue the darn pot back together.. but grow the hosta in a nursery pot inside the fixed pot ...

offhand.. i dont know what glue is appropriate ....

if you cant find some decorative use for the pieces... you arent trying hard enough ....

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Brandy, it won't hurt to glue the pieces back together on that pot. Use contact cement, and don't worry about the seams. So it leaks....who cares. set it behind another pot, and it won't show it is mended.

Heck, I BOUGHT a pot that was broken, because I loved it. My pig flower pot has kept an aloe vera plant alive for about 7 years now, and for at least 3 of those years, it has also served as a home for "the PIG Family" of Carolina wrens. It is about my favorite flower POT.

Here it is shown with another pig figure, which I got especially because we call our wrens the Pig Family. And the pig with wings, is a memorial to WHEN THE PIGS FLY.
    Like they are fledging in the second picture last year....when I caught them on camera the day the 5 babies flew out....the day WHEN PIGS FLY. I just love that they choose my broken flower pot, and build a nest in the head of it every year now.
    The prickly points of the aloe vera protect them from intruders I think.

This is the day the Pigs flew. One climbed on top of another.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I agree that you should glue that pot back together. Then, use it as a cache pot rather than planting directly in it.

Hang in there, your pot garden is lovely, you will be able to add to it at some point, and you may have done better than you think on the algebra exam.

Mocc, love love love those fledglings-great pic. it gave me my smile for the day!

Cynthia

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'll see if I can find some outdoor use glue for this type of situation and see if it works.... As for the final, I did fail it. I knew I would so it's not a big shock but I am very disappointed in myself. It brought my grade down to a D for the semester and my cumulative GPA down from 3.5 to 3.335 or something like that. :( Very mad at myself.

Ken, never say never I guess. I will try to order again in a month or so and see if I can get it paid for. I might add some more on to my order, too. But right now, I am just enjoying what I have...

Today they are getting a good soaking in the rain. The self watering planters the Patriot, F. Aureomarginata and Wide Brim are currently in may have to go. Fall is usually rainy here and they are needing to be dumped out every hour or so. First I need to concentrate on getting them some pots that drain good and don't hold water and produce mud in heavy rains.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, I am sorry you failed the test. Can you take the course again to pull up your grade? Still, that is a pretty darn good GPA, so you have nothing to be ashamed of really. Advanced Algebra is a bear for just about everyone.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to take it again. You have to have a B or above to go on to Advanced Physics. The fall semester is twice as long and a lot slower so I'll have time to absorb it and actually learn something. It's not that big of a deal, I know... At least I didn't fail altogether and I did all of my work, unlike some people- I tried. It was just too much, too fast and I didn't have the time I needed to learn it and apply it to memory before moving on to the next thing.

• User
    10 years ago

Take a look at the Lowes black plastic nursery style pots, which come in many sizes, and they have holes on the sides at the bottom. They are working very nicely for me, as long as the black plastic doesn't get in the hot afternoon sun.

Sometimes a course you think you might fail, instead of completing it, take an "I" or "incomplete" on it, and do it again later. I had to do that years ago, when I was going thru a divorce and couldn't focus on studying.. Mine was the algebra too. :)

• User
    10 years ago

Can you blow up this picture to see the sides of the pots on the wagon? Most all of my newer acquisitions are now in these black Lowes nursery style pots.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, Mocc! I love your hostas. Makes me want to see if I can get to 200+....THIS season! LOL

Maybe not this year, but I'm aiming for next year.

Oh, I talked Karen into giving up a little bit of lawn. Is this just the beginning? Hmmm...

Plenty of time for hosta, Ms. Brandy, as you know. Now you can enjoy what you've acquired, and think about what to get next season and beyond...At your leisure.

Don B.

P.S. I'm already up to about 20 hosta on my 'get next season' list.

• User
    10 years ago

Don't tell anybody, but I took a peek at the HL Auction and Naylor Creek had a couple I won, which I'll mention when they arrive probably Monday....along with a few companions off my wish list for next year, just to keep them company. Cannot find Snake Eyes anywhere though. Sad story, will stop looking and start trying to make one of the Striptease clan sport one that looks like it.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just got back from Home Depot & Lowe's and Walmart. I was looking for some outdoor/weatherproof glue or something to mend the pot as much as I can. Lowes and Home Depot said they carry something good but they were out right now. To check back on Monday or Tuesday, they'll probably have it in.

I got a 3 pack of 8 inch terra clay pots at HD for $5 for the Patriot, F. Aureomarginata, and Wide Brim. It's a good buy. They were 50% off. Lowe's were really expensive.

My poor Patriot was just SOAKED. I had to clean off the soil and put in new. There was no drying it out! I had it in full sun all day trying to do so. *Sigh*

Anyway, they are all repotted and good now. 1 mission down and 1 more to go!

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

If you have a Shopko around, they might have some inexpensive [drastically marked down] pots. I got several that had been $29.99 that I got for $2.99 each. Works as a nice cache pot for 1 gallon container ...

And I am NOT a Shopko person ... unless it's for gatorade

^_^ --~

dave