Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Here's Fujibotan

User
10 years ago

I waited for this one to bloom. It said double flowers. I think it is every bit of that, and maybe TRIPLE flowers. If you can see the detail on the pictures. I'll have to get out my tripod to see it clearly I suppose. I pulled my DH out to the Back40 for a look...just had to show somebody, you know. Here they are. Three of the six scapes have the first blossoms opened. A slight lavender tint to the flower. Enjoy!

Even folks who normally cut off the scapes might be inclined to let this one bloom its little heart out.

Comments (18)

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Very nice flowers. Those scapes are tall, aren't they?

Karen

• irawon
    10 years ago

I'm getting more interested in hosta flowers and intend to take more pictures of them. The Fujibotan blossom certainly has a lot of WOW factor. I always assumed that the foliage was rather ho-hum but it really isn't from what I see in your pics... quite a nice rippling.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

One of my very favorite hostas. I love the double flowers, and it is a nice looking green hosta. I think I might take some eyes off the side of my big one and plant some more, someplace this year.

Thanks for sharing, mine isn't blooming yet.

Sandy

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.
    Note, Sandy, that many of these hosta are flowering for me for the first time....if they arrived here after their normal blooming period. I have no idea what is early or late for a certain plant, what is "normal" for it.

For the main, it is MY first full cycle as a "hostaholic"! My head is almost spinning.....:)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I happen to really like hosta flowers. Those are exceptionally pretty!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karen, yes the scapes are really tall. At first they were straight up. There is some leaning now that the flower heads are becoming bigger and heavier. But not as tall nor as unruly as Victory's scapes.....they are all over the place!

I'm glad you reminded me of it....so I can get the bamboo poles into the pots and clip the scapes to it with claw hair clips (also used for orchid scapes).

FlowerFrenzy, I'm with you about the flowers. Lots of variety. One day there will be yellow and pink and blue flowers. I would like to have a hosta flower corsage.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irawon, I agree with you. I got it for the flowers. Hoped it wouuld be a dependable bloomer. This first year for me to see it bloom, it sends up SIX SCAPES. Not bad huh. And another surprise, it is a pretty plant. I had to look twice at the name tag there was so great a difference this year in the plant.

This is one plant I consider a survivor. It adapted to our environment. So far so good. :)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

That's a triple decker and as I was looking and scrolling I was saying to myself, please, please show the front of the flower and there it was. That is soo pretty and unusual, such a soft pale pink-simply lovely!

Your reaction reminds me of the first time I ever saw a triple layer of petals on an otherwise ordinary looking lily. I now own it!

Happy for you and your little treasure:)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, thank you for agreeing, it is a triple decker flower. It is so easy to count the layers of petals, I thought I must be nuts, this cannot be double, it looks like triple.

Is this normal? Or is it like the fasciated scapes becoming really common this year, even if not normal. It might be the once in a lifetime and I saw it and now expect it to be the norm. Poor little Fujibotan, I'll expect miracles every day. :)

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Cool.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Here's my Fuji, in 2010, which is apparently the last time I took a good picture of it. It blooms here in mid-July. Just now starting to put up scapes,

Sandy

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

A closeup of the double (or triple) flower, yes it is normal!

Sandy

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Sandy. I conclude that it is not way ahead of its normal blooming period, no more than a few miles further south would cause.

Your picture shows the super tall scapes on it, they are very strong, only lean a bit as the flowers increase in size. It is definitely one of my favorite non-fragrant flowers, and the leaf is nicely ruffled as well.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I would get Fujibotan simply for the flowers!!!

Mosswitch and Moccasin: both your pics are out of this world..that last pic had me staring at it for awhile, it's quite beautiful. Lucky you.

I just can't get over the varieties you have...Moccasins, your place must be busy when everything is blooming....not only the visiting happy bees but also neighbours too? Your garden must be the talk of the neighbourhood! :)
    Thanks so much for providing so much pleasure. Jo

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

TRIPLE!!! Oh my...I wonder if 'Fujibotan' can possibly be hybridized with 'plantaginea' or any fragrant cultivars?

That could be interesting...and wonderful : )
    'Fujimole'?
    'Fragrant Fuji'?
    'Fuji Green Bananas'?
    'Fried Fujibotan'?

Don B.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Well, this splains why Fuji' was The. Very. Last. hosta to emerge here in my garden. The ole girl needs her beauty sleep.

Fujibotan was a new aquisition for me last summer, ordered because I had read that this hosta was one that should be grown just for the flowers. When she finally unfurled this 'summer', I was also pleasantly surprised by the rippled foliage...sorta' like she's trying to tell you that she's 'special' and not just another greenie.

LOL, Don, that's exactly what I was thinking....a fragrant version of Fuji would be Just Perfect (how's that for a name?), especially with those tall, tall scapes. Imagine that hosta planted beneath one's bedroom window...'twould be heaven to have that fragrance wafting in on the moonlight.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

That's awesome! I just bought Fujibuton and now I look forward to seeing it bloom. Marg

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Hey you guys get to work on hybridizing Fuji with plantaginea, or Honeybells, we're waiting to buy it! Lol! Fuji was not the last hosta to emerge for me, close, but On Stage was the VERY last.

Sandy