Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbug_zone6

Orange Marmalade

mbug_gw
10 years ago

A lot going on with this guy. Should I just leave it be?

Comments (12)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

THAT is very interesting, mbug. Even if I separated that eye from the plant, I'd certainly keep that division and see how it grows. I love that leaf at 6 o'clock.

Very Cool!
    Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Looks like you possibly have the makings of a pretty nice sport. I'd divide off that eye and plant it separately. It could end up being amazing!

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't done that before and I'm not sure how to divide it without doing damage

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I would leave it alone through the end of this year and see if it comes back next year. If it's a really nice sport, hypothetically, you could sacrifice the OM in favor of the sport.

bk

• mbug_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the second year it has sported this way.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I'm not pretending I know what I'm talking about, but it looks like you have four leaves. Doesn't it need to be bigger than that to reliably survive?

I'm just guessing, though.

Someone with more experience than me will have to answer that question.

bk

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Planted 2 OMs last year and this year they just seemed limp. Dug them up and they fell apart. I now have 7 separate one eye OMs planted in nursery pots. Could a different hosta have snuck in there? I don't have a clue just wondering. I believe Paul had something crazy going on with one of his OMs too. WW

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Planted 2 OMs last year and this year they just seemed limp. Dug them up and they fell apart. I now have 7 separate one eye OMs planted in nursery pots. Could a different hosta have snuck in there and it's not sporting? I don't have a clue just wondering. I believe Paul had something crazy going on with one of his OMs too. WW

• User
    10 years ago

In all this milieu of hosta, I have scapes, blooms, and seed pods. It's wonderful!
    And that bright thing is Orange Marmalade. With his usual companions.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I'm picking mine up on Mon, along with others.
    Mocc...is yours more shaded to retain such colour? Sure catches and holds the eye, doesn't it?

Mbug if it were mine, I'd enjoy it just the way it is...I like variations. Both my Junes have sports, 2nd yr now, and the solid blue looks pretty. Some people NEED and prefer perfection....does it bother you? If not, see what happens next year, as suggested.

I'd only worry if leaving the sport made the hosta it revert to all green. I just bought one so I better read up on it.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

If you follow them down to the ground, do all of the darker leaves belong to the same eye? A dark leaf here and a dark leaf there doesn't make a sport. I have seen some hostas do this in response to too much shade. It would have to be a different eye to be a sport. Then you can dig it out a couple different ways. I'm sure someone can tell you which is best.

Beverly

• User
    10 years ago

Well, the OM has morning sun early. I've tried to figure it out myself, because within a foot of OM is Golden Meadows, and it is so dark it is almost black. What the.......?????

I am sure enjoying the way it looks this year. It brightens the corner where it's found.