Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arickrock

My hosta beginnings...picture heavy.

arickrock
9 years ago

Got this house when I was 24 and have been in it for 6 years now. It had decent landscaping to begin with and I have improved upon it over the years. This year I have found my love for hostas and know that will be the foundation of it all.

Just starting my collection...half in the ground and half in pots.

The front yard. Small and shaded. Easy to maintain.

These are the oldest hostas I have planted. The bed was amended this year and they were all fighting the root system of a large bush they are next to/shaded by. Hopefully they will all get bigger next year.

This bed gets the most sun. Mix of greens and yellows. Hoping I picked some that can handle the heat. Right next to my hose so they will always get water.

This bed had Undulata albomarginata that was there when I purchased the house. They came out this year and even though they were large and healthy were very bound up in clay. The bed was amended and new plants went in.

This bed also had UA's that I had split off the original three. You can see one still left in the middle. The others are all very small hostas purchased this year from bridgewood. i know for sure some will out grow these locations.

My UA's I described from the front that were just Identified thanks to you kind folks today. I have over an acre of woods down this hill. No short of space for this obsession to grow.

This bed is right outside my back door and is also mainly filled with very small new plants from bridgewood. Most will move and the bed will be adjust as they come to size.

This area is between myself and a neighbor. We share a wysteria tree that originates on his side. He doesnt like yardwork so has let me take it all over. i am currently trying to train it to build a canopy to shelter hostas under. This is a low lying area that always gets great water when it rains. i currently have several divisions of a neighbors unknown hosta just starting to grown underneath to the left.

Ive started a small bed in the corner that will be shelterd/shaded by the wysteria also.

My nursery/laboratory. I was gifted the monkey/spider grass from a friend with the understanding I had to pot and keep half of it alive for him until next year.....hope that works out.....

My goal is to get enough split and growing in ground and pots that I can get some in all my friends/family's yards. Many of my friends are just buying homes of their owns and I am always lending a hand on yard projects. its a perfect time to gift them a hosta and get them hooked.

Thanks for looking and sorry it was so long. been meaning to do this for some time now.....oh and one day I will have grass in the back yard! but right now my focus is on the hostas!

This post was edited by arickrock on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 19:27

Comments (6)