Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tking66

New Hosta Garden

Delphinium zone5
10 years ago

I wanted to post a pic of my new shade garden. After a year of lurking on this forum I've finally been able to get my garden to the point where I'm ready to share pictures of it. I've been enabled by many of you, with your gorgeous photos of hostas. I have filled in many areas with astilbe and ferns so they can be moved when the hostas mature. I love big hostas and I can't wait for them to grow! Most of my hostas were purchased last fall and this spring, so they are still small. I've also tried to leave plenty of room to add more, because as you all know it's hard to stop buying once you start!
Terri

Comments (13)

• Delphinium zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another photo with Elegans in the back and Great Expectations in the foreground. I bought these at the hosta sale this spring in Milwaukee thanks to TJ's tip - thanks TJ!

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Lovely start to a beautiful garden! Your wise to leave ample space between plants, especially if you love the large hosta like I do. What is the name of the pretty blue companion flower? We also share the same color astilbe. When those hosta start filling in you're going to need a smaller chair! I lurked for quite a while also. There is a great group of people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge and beautiful collections. Good luck!

DD

• Delphinium zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks DD! The blue flowers are lobelia. I used lobelia and sunpatiens as fillers this year. They are both annuals. The astilbe are "Visions".
    Terri

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Wonderful garden! Thanks for sharing your pics.

Paula

• coll_123
    10 years ago

That is a great start to a lovely hosta garden. Boy, your Astilbes look healthy and happy! I like your fence, too- I really wish I had put our pickets closer together for a more private feel.

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Hi GinWi, Welcome and thanks for the pics of your new garden. You're off to a great start. I love hydrangeas with hosta too. WW

• Delphinium zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Paula, Coll and WW for the nice comments! I'm looking forward to adding a couple more hostas and heucheras to my garden this summer. Do you know of a mail order hosta nursery that also sells heucheras?
    Terri

• User
    10 years ago

Oh yes. Well, I know of ONE anyway. There might be others.
    But check out Hallson Gardens at the link below.
    I think they sell about 16 different heuchera. And other perennials as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallson heuchera page

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Looking very nice, Terri. Thanks for posting and I'm glad to be an enabler. Now, have I mentioned conifers...;-)

tj

• Delphinium zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's funny you mention conifers TJ. I check out that forum from time to time as well. I don't have a collection of conifers, but maybe someday. . . First I need to add to my hosta collection.

Thanks Mocc, for the link for Hallson's. I didn't realize they sold other perennials besides hostas.

Terri

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

Terri, What a lovely new garden you have! Please post pictures to show progression of the garden.

Lowe's and Home Depot often carry some of the popular and robust heucheras, good size for a very reasonable price. If you wait until late August or September, they will all be on sale.

I have been ordering hard to get heucheras from http://ilovehostas.net, a mail order store in WI. They have the most amazing and comprehensive collections. It is ~ $ 12 for a 3 inch deep pots. Planted in sept or october, they grow quickly the next year to almost mature size. Plus they only charge a very small fee for handling. I have been very happy with their fast service and quality of the plants.

Good luck,
    Vivian

• Delphinium zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Vivian,

Thanks for the info about ilovehostas.net. I have never seen that website before. They have such a great selection! I have also been checking out the nurseries locally for heucheras, and found a few that I will probably go back to purchase.

Thanks again!
    Terri

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

that elegans will get huge in time, you may have to move some other stuff

dave

^_^ --~

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert