Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large leaf, and rain.. whats not to like? pic

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 19:40

I found this and thought everyone would like it. Can you imagine if any HOSTA would put out leaves like this year after year !

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large leaf, and rain.. whats not to like? pic

I would love to see the eyes on this one. Looks like some kind of elephant ear. Paula

o

Depending on where this was taken, they have some elephant ears like Thai Giant which can grow over 10 feet tall.
I was drooling over them at Plant Delights Nursery website.
They have frequent rains, and that's what it takes, plus very rich jungle type soil to support that growth. Mine are not that big, but one kind is about 8 or 9 feet tall now. Lets see if I can find a picture of it, to insert here. Some of them or most of them, are edible. Taro root, I think.

o

Those thai giants are of the colocasia... standard elephant ear... the one in the pic looks to be alocasia... or upright..
Looks like the borneo giant... check out link...
John

Here is a link that might be useful: Borneo Giant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here