Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Would You Do With These?

Posted by Hostanista 5B (Ont) (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 19:43

Look at them all! Must be 40 babies in that pile. Pen to show scale. Closest hosta is a fortunei aureomarginata, see inset. Amazing how well they do when you just leave them alone. And now, do I just let them be - will they smother themselves and die - or do I gently pull them apart and plant them out with proper spacing?

What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Would You Do With These?

Since you asked...... Well, I know of a good place - here! Lol. Look at those cuties, Mama!
I think they would grow better separated. With that many, I would likely plant in groups of three...cute little clumps immediately instead of a two-leafer. I know of a greenhouse where they would individually plant them and turn them into $$$.

Lucky you - they are really sweet! Some people might only keep the bigger ones, but you can always gift some if you don't want them all. Then again, you have space to grow them all, don't you? :-)

o

This must be the year of the seedlings! I have loads under at least 10 different plant and was wondering too if I should just leave them until they get more then 2 leaves or until fall or next summer. I moved 14 from last year to another area but they are much larger so they were easy to move. We need the pro's advice on this one. Now when they get big do we start a green bed for babies.

Glad my female daschund never had any puppies or I would have had a kennel of dogs and no room in our bed for us. I guess this is what they call a hoarding nature .

o

i would not move them in august ...

and then its too late ... in sept ...

the problem is.. they will heave out of the ground come late winter thaw ... there will be no root mass to hold them in the soil ...

see what comes back next spring... and line them out then ... i dont know if i would do it in the garden ... or rather some nursery bed ....

i might pot a couple up ... just for the experiment ...

and i would pound an 8 foot stake in the ground.. lol.. so i wouldnt walk on them ... 8 feet just about big enough.. lol

ken

o

Leave 'em till next year and let survival of the fittest take over....if they all survive do you want 100 green seedlings? Culling gets harder the longer you keep them.

Here's a 2011 pic of seedlings started indoors (2nd year).....done nothing with them since.

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here