Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in hosta

Posted by lynne19160 Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 19:59

Haven't been here for a while... Look at these holes. Almost circles, only on the edges. Cutworms? I have moved to the city from the country, and am used to slugs. But I have seen snails and super slugs here..ick

But what is the consensus on this damage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in hosta

THat is so weird! Yes, my cutworms do often take big chunks out of the edges of the leaves, but those are so regular and round...looks like someone went at them with a large hole puncher!

o

Leaf Cutter Bees

see link

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf Cutter Bees

o

Wow, Melissa... never heard of those. thanks for the link... sure looks like the damage.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 21:39

I agree that that is leaf cutter damage. They are beneficial insects. I always wanted to find the nest to see those perfectly overlapped pieces of leaves layered around their eggs. They like my camellia leaves.

-Babka

o

I wasn't familiar with these bees until a couple of weeks ago. I was out in the backyard, and saw a bee land on a clematis leaf, cut a perfect little half-circle out of the leaf, and with the piece, fly away. Learn something new every day, I guess.

o

I never heard of Leaf Cutter Bees. Melissa, the link you provided was very interesting and informative!

o

I know it is unexpected to see the bites around the leaves, but I do believe I had rather they were here than the slugs and cutworms. If it helps pollinate anything, bring em to me. So far, no signs of such cut leaves.

Very interesting life form, thanks for the link Babka. It would be awesome to see the eggs covered with a tiki hut.

o

I think that is so cool......I don't know if they go to all areas, but I would welcome them in my yard.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 0:10

Mocc- Melissa posted the link. Each egg gets it own layered leaf wrap, along with some pollen balls to nourish new little bee when it emerges. How cool is that?

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here