Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For Our Newbies...The Hosta Library; If You Haven't Seen...

Posted by Don_in_Colorado 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 19:59

You all know what this is by now? If not, here's a link...Several different people here post this every so often for new members.

So, if SOMEHOW you haven't been to this yet, or heard of it...enjoy. AND it's free. Thanks, Bob Axmear.

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'The Hosta Library' Homepage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For Our Newbies...The Hosta Library; If You Haven't Seen...

Now I'll take it a step further.
Look below at the picture I clipped of Striptease, from Hosta Library.

At the top left is something that is a link to information about Striptease at MYHOSTAS.BE.....that is where you can read info about Striptease's registration, its description, the info copied from various nursery catalogs and such, plus on the right a list of the various progeny....both sports and hybrids. GREAT information source.

Check it out and learn more about the ones you like, and others in the same family.

Here is a link that might be useful: MyHostas.be STRIPTEASE info

o

Thank you! I have learned so much from all of you! This link is great.

o

Hagar, glad Don B started this.
You know, it took me over a year of visiting the Hosta Library before I realized what that link at the top of every hosta picture series did. :)

Both sites are ambitious undertakings well maintained. I have great respect and appreciation for what they do for us hosta lovers.

o

thanks Don and moccasin.
I do visit the library to look at pictures of the hostas, but I have never clicked on the upper left hand corner link before. I will do that when I look up another hosta. good to know, and always good to let the newbies like us know.
michelle

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 0:13

The My hostas data base has collected info on hostas from several sources, some are just catalog descriptions.

Here is another place to look up a specific hosta, where the information given is right off the registration forms. This info is often included in the My Hostas Data base, but not always. The American Hosta Society Registrations list. It is searchable, so you are getting the straight info directly from the horses mouth, so to speak. Some hostas are not registered, so the Database gives you the info available in those cases.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS Registrations searchable index

o

and to be very clear ....

just because there is info on some hosta... does NOT mean it is available ...

every now and then.. someone tries to make a shopping list at the library ... only to be disappointed about such ...

ken

o

Along with this is my Hosta Comparison routine. I have repeatedly asked Bob Axmear to include a link to it on the HL -after all it relies on HIS work- but he cannot seem to be bothered.

The routine allows you to compare 2 hostas side-by-side to make comparing similar hostas easier.

Pieter

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare Hostas

o

and there is also this, which is the home page for the link mocc provided.

Here is a link that might be useful: myhostas.be

o

and this

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta List by Don Rawson

o

and one more, with important links to the AHS, which everyone that loves hostas should join and the hosta helper, where you can search for hybridizers and learn the history of hostas.

Here is a link that might be useful: myhosta.com

o

Best thread ever

o

I guess I wasn't quite done. If you live in the great lakes region or don't mind the drive, this is an event that you do not want to miss. I went this year for my first time and will be going every year from now on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta College 2015

o

Good point, Pieter.
I use your comparison a lot. When I do not have a pair of hosta to do a garden comparison, I instead use YOUR way of doing it.
Don't have to lift more than a finger that way.

I go so far as to open a photo from my computer, and then have the other two panels from the HL comparisons adjacent to it.

As I recall, there was no link to Don Rawson's Lists on HL main page either. Never thought about it, always kept the link to the lists close to hand. Same for your comparisons.

Thank you for making things so easy for hosta lovers.

o

.....and Link to Hosta Forum vote of Top 100 Hostas...2012

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 Top 100 Hosta Poll - Results

o

Well, that just about covers it a-- Oh yeah, there is this, too...

Don B.

P.S. Thank you for adding all the additional links and info, everyone...Now this is some great enabling!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants Galore The Hosta Helper

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 15:48

o

Don, thank you for starting this one. Like an Emergency Kit for Hostaphiles.

The list of 100 Favorites is good to have as a link. Then the Plants Galore site is very helpful. I discovered that the Plants Galore guy wrote several e-books about hosta, and I have one of them so far. He also gives brief biographical blurbs about hosta hybridizers and their plants. Quite a varied place to while away a rainy afternoon.

Now I have to create a bookmark on Firefox to find this thread again. Beautiful.

o

Thanks so much for all the info!

o

Where is Cailloo? This is too good to lose .

o

I spent last night perusing the hosta library site. I am not really a newbie but hadn't looked at that site much. I found myself looking at the auction page and ended up buying 4 hostas from Naylor Creek.

I bought Mourning Dove, Blue Jay, Hide Tide and Tropical Dancer. I wanted to get more but figured I should stop there. I am happy I was able to add a few more blues to my collection. The auction site could be a dangerous place for me...kinda like EBAY...LOL,

Thanks for enabling!
Linda

o

I found when comparing that data for hostas in the Library are sometimes those of immature plants. I needed to find a list of actual mature sizes for placing hostas in the landscape. Mickfield Hostas in England has such a list made from them growing hostas to full size.
Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: Mickfield Hostas mature hosta sizes

o

Regarding any "issues" with The Hosta Library, please note that Bob has done this voluntarily for many years. More importantly and to the point, in the past few years problems beyond his control have made it ever more difficult for him to keep up. We have him in our prayers.

hh

o

Talk about enabling! I was actually in the process of typing the question that this answers, when I changed my mind, went back to the main page, and saw this! Thank you SO much, everyone, for all the links.

I don't know Bob, being a total newbie to hostas, but the site is wonderful, and I wish him the best!

Lynn

o

Bob Axmear has done a monumental effort and should get more awards from the AHS for it. And it is all on his own server at his home, I understand. He also hosts Auctions every year. I wish him the best. Bernd

o

Why isn't this thread pinned?

o

Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 15:49

No way to pin here. Too bad indeed. There is a hosta FAQ here, but that is out of date. This ain't the greatest forum set up, but it is what we have and it works pretty darn well most of the time.

-Babka

o
RE: For Our Newbies...10 Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic

10 Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic

Link Below

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic

o

The moderator does the pinning, Babka. iVillage implemented the ability a year or two ago. The FAQs could be updated, corrected, whatever as well, and substituted.

When I worked for iVillage (started Women.com, & iVillage bought them) there were moderators for each topic. Of course, many of us covered more than one board. But we had the ability to be active and make choices pertinent to the timeliness of the boards. Gardenweb but more rudimentary, but they're making tiny moves towards the 2nd decade of the new millennium.

This is great information, but you're right, much is out of date. Many of the boards have the same stuff on them as they did when I joined in 2004.

o

CEF, I agree, I think it should be pinned. It should be a really prominent FAQ for our forum.

I've mentioned this before, about updating the Forum FAQ list, and it seems the one who squawks the loudest has to do it. So I shut up real quick like. I have my hands full as it is.

But, I know a couple of folks I could VOLUNTEER FOR THE JOB. Eeny, Meanie, Miney, and MOE.

Also the one about moving your garden plants from one address/home to another one, when you have massive amounts of hosta to move.

I think the FAQ sheet will be updated soon anyway.
Glad you dropped by to check out the forum. Come back more often?

o

Okay, I was late reading my email with CEF message in it, already responded to Babka's post.

Could it be Tamara is our moderator now? If so, I'll mention this to her.

Also, the List of 100 is more current now. I think Paul_MN has that list. Also, the info about hosta in pots/containers, and overwintering hostas in pots/containers, and then a whole thing about HVX and other viruses....

Which reminds me, we need to include in this thread about joining the AHS and a list of local hosta societies. Also, the AHS has a list of display gardens, it should be added to the GWeb listings which are now being pulled together. Do not know how that gets included here.

But, considering that HOSTAS are the most popular planting in gardens, .... well, it needs a high profile on a gardening forum. Seems to me anyway.

o

Oh, don't forget this one, it's my favorite!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seven Levels of Hosta Gardeners

o

Dang, where was this thread when I started out?

o

LOL Funn! No kidding, where will we be in a few years?? I shudder to think. Then again, maybe I'll embrace it and not even realize it. How's the (BIG) project goin? Gettin the topsoil in there?

Don B.

o

Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 23:21

I remember the days before I-Village bought the gardening website. We had a guy called "Spike" who would send us to Disneyland link if he didn't like the tone of our messages. One fellow posted too many pics "hosta of the day" that inspired our friend Papou to take notes on his new beds, and that fellow Hank Zumach was banned. That was back about 2001, I think.

Where would one go to suggest pinned threads? I cannot find a moderator link for Tamara. I never got an answer when I repeatedly reported a spammer on the bathroom forum that took up more than whole page of posts for a few days within the last week or so?

I've been here a long time. Too long, I guess. I have seen the FAQ first set up, then updated, but now much of that info is out of date. It seems to me that between the Hosta Library and the American Hosta Society websites, all those bases are covered.

-Babka

o

I feel like I've been here a long time, too Babka. Although, not long at all. Lots of good people here. You were the first one to answer my very first post here, asking about an ID on my baby 'June' Thanks for being one of the good ones, Babka.

Cheers,
Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 0:54

o

Wish Spike was still roaming around here some days.....

o

Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 1:25

And Don, Thank you. Yes, this is a very interesting place. Everyone needs to keep in mind that the posts and replies are from ANYONE who has a computer. There are all sorts of folks who own computers. Nothing here is Gospel, but all of it is informative.

Did I say THANK YOU, DON for bringing up these important websites? ;-) I have them all bookmarked.

-Babka

o

Yes, the project is going well, Don, thanks for asking. It's taking longer than I'd like, but don't they always? I'll update the thread with new pics soon and show the progress.

Where will we be in a few years? I really do shudder to think. I'm already thinking I'm running out of room and I just cleared a huge area! Seems to not be a cure for what ails us!--thankfully.

o

It is time to bump this up again.
Here you go, Sherrygirl.
Enjoy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here