Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davemidohio

bap-10

davemidohio
15 years ago

Does anyone know where a fella might pick some of this up. I looked at the website of the maker, Plant-Wise Biostimulant Co, and didn't see anything that looked promising.

I want to see if it will grow me some new hair! lol

Comments (28)

• esther_opal
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

See if this helps for a lanolin paste.

Use about 19 grams of NaOH to make 1 pt of 1N NaOHs or any amount you wish. It is not critical as long as it is approximate. Dissolve 0.1 of 6BAP in a very small (several drops) amount of the 1Normal NaOH. Make the dissolved amount of 6BAP up to 100 ml with distilled water. Take 10ml of this and mix with the 40 grams liquified lanolin that you have prepared to a liquid in the microwave. Mix thoroughly until is turnsinto a solid. An ice bath will accelerate the solidification. You will have an emulsified solid with 200 ppm 6BAP if I did my math correctly.

• davemidohio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EO,
    I don't have a chemisty set anymore. Is 6Bap the same as Bap-10? Here is a link for the article I found that got me excited. There are threads going back to 2006 for this stuff, but I didn't see anywhere I can go to and buy this stuff.
    Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Bap-10 for hostas at hosta college

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

Try this site and let them tell you what you need. I'm not dodging the question, I studied all this back when Ed started talking about it but never used it.

Here is a link that might be useful: BAP-10

• esudina
    15 years ago

Hola forum:
    I've heard a lot of debate about BAP-10, but I've never heard from a forum member that has actually tried it on a hosta; there seems to be some sort of taboo attached to it...is there ANYONE that has done any tests? I've had it in my basement for more than a year now & I'm thinking that I'll try it on one of my "expendables"...comments please...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

i know where you can get it... send me a private email

the hybridizers club fooled with it way back when ....

i was throughly unimpressed ..... and i believe that most of the others eventually came to the same conclusion ....

it is basically one half of the TC process... causing dormant buds to break...

i was told.. that unless you remove the rootless wonders ... that the plant simply reverts the following year ... healing in a plant will accomplish the same thing.. without the exposure to the chemical ... as will rossing ... or just throwing it on the driveway and running it over with the car ....

there is no way around... growing the root mass .. to support a bigger plant .... you cant magically make a small rooted plant bigger with chemicals ... so it made sense you would have to remove them ....

if you are going to wait for the root mass to enlarge.. well.. the hosta will take care of the rest...

email me ... ken

• kent
    15 years ago

I used it way back when the hosta folks were playing with it.
    I hated it, and will never use it again as I did back then. It really set my plants back and I would have had better results just letting them grow on their own.
    Maybe there are new ways to apply it or a change in the product but until I see really good results from someone else I'll pass on the stuff.

Kent

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

The value of bap-10 is increasing numbers of a plant. As Ken points out growing root is the only thing of long term value.

This is not to say that if you have a rare or expensive plant that it is not a good way to get more numbers.

On the recent Zumberizing post if I get one or more of those leaves as a whole plant then I may want to get several small ones then it would be worthwhile.

For me any new knowledge about hosta horticulture is worth knowing so I might do it just to see.

• greenguy
    15 years ago

never used it so take this for what its worth

from what i was told it is only good to increase the number of eyes on a plant but like other pointed out that is worthless without the root growth to support the new eyes & growth

maybe it would be good to bring out a eye under a sporting leaf???

15 years ago

in case anyone runs across this ... i have been informed.. that my source no longer has access to such

ken

• frankco
    15 years ago

BAP-10 was a mixture of 6-BENZYLAMINOPURINE at 100 grams per Liter, nothing more. It's not used full strength. A 30% solution was said to work well when sprayed on leaves and the crown.

You can pick up a solution of 100ml mixed at a ratio of 1 gram per liter from Phytotech Labs for $12.08 U.S dollars (check their shipping charges). Or, you can pick up BAP in powder form 5 grams for $9.50 from Cassions lab and mix it yourself.

To me, 1 gram per liter would seem plenty strong enough. Dropping a Hosta seed in 1mg per liter (1000th the strength), produced 32 plants from that single seed. If I separate each one of these and place them in same solution they will produce 15 to 20 per month which totals 100,000 Hostas in 5 months. The multiplication rate after 5 months would be too much for anyone to handle unless you had a crew to do the work. The nice thing about this is you can propagate them all year long indoors, in a small space.

Here is a picture of the plants that grew from one Hosta seed. This can be done with some other plants too.
    http://www.root66nursery.com/hosta/hosta_from_seed_yt.jpg

If you are interested I put a few videos up on YouTube. Mixing BAP is the same as mixing NAA which I go over in the video. Click on the Making Media videos which shows how to mix the growth regulator. http://www.youtube.com/user/fbt2007

• frankco
    15 years ago

Super-Grow sells 100 grams of 94% BAP for $63.22. Not a bad price.
    http://www.super-grow.biz/BenzylAminopurine.jsp#FREQUENCY

• mikey01h
    14 years ago

I have used BAP a couple of times. I dont use it often because it is expensive. I found it works excellent on some hostas, and not at all on others.
    It is best if used very early in the season so that the plant will have sufficient time to develop roots on the newly developed eyes.
    My best case results were on a Lakeside Surf Rider with 3 eyes before BAP, and 13 eyes after BAP, eventually spawning 11 eyes the next spring, and a Francis Williams with 2 eyes before BAP, and 10 eyes after BAP, spawning all 10 eyes the next spring.
    As previously stated, several hostas showed no effects at all, but I perceived no damage as a result of using BAP on any hostas, and did not experience any reversions to immaturity on the newly developed eyes that did develop.
    There are several articles and legitimate lab test posted on line for research. Some opposition may be more related to "steroid" anxiety rather than actual experiences.
    Bentley Gardens sells 2oz concentrates for 30.00, or you can call/email to enquire of the results to expect.

http://www.bentleygardens.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=512

There are various other online sources also for larger quantitiesÂ.

14 years ago

sounds like an advert mikey ... which is against the rules of GW ....

coincidence that you and the website are in GA???

the stuff is a waste of money.. period ...

ken

• mikey01h
    14 years ago

Not an "advert" ken, just relaying my REAL experiences, not speculation and/or hear say or relying on "I was told".

Concluding that you cant make a plant bigger with Chemicals is imprudent to say the least, as there are many multi-billion dollar industries dedicated to just that. Do you know of anyone who gardens without Chemicals???

BAP allegedly stimulates the production of new eyes on "some" varieties of hostas.
    Roots will develop on these eyes AFTER they reach a certain size or maturity, just the same as they would on an ordinary or untreated plant, the growth cycles remain the same with the exception of the possibilities of artificially stimulating additional eyes (through Chemical manipulation), which, if produced early enough in the season to mature (and develop roots) which in turn adds mass to the overall crown, therefore potentially yielding either more or larger eyes the following season (in theory). This is also what I experienced on a limited number of treated hostas.

As far as cost vs. benefit, I clearly stated that I have only utilized BAP a couple of times BECAUSE of the expense, which should be an indication to most readers that I didnt find cost vs. benefit (myself) compelling enough to use it on a regular basis. I supplied my best case scenario as well as my worse case scenario (which would be no effects at all, or in other words, money wasted), you can draw your own conclusions!!!

There are at least eight local hosta sources in my area, I think I have purchased from every one of them at some time over the years (another coincidence?), yet I have no affiliation with any of them (imagine).

I am only sharing my limited observations on the product in question; you on the other hand are sharing an opinion.

• pzelko
    14 years ago

Mikey, thanks for sharing this info. I have been curious about this product since I heard (read) about it. and checked out your bio after the accusation and you have been here longer than I. 2005. so I did not take it that way my self (an advert), or someone here would have booted you out. once again thank you for sharing this information. maybe I will give it a try or not. Hours cut on the job so I need to cut back on some Hobbies (but Hostas WONT be one of them, I think that I will stop feeding the birds, they seem to leave ugly white spots on my hosta).

Paul

• frankco
    14 years ago

Simply put BAP works on Hostas. Actually Hostas seem to love BAP as they respond quite well to large doses.

There seems to be some confusion about what BAP-10 is. BAP-10 is just a 10% solution of BAP or 6-Benzylaminopurine. It's not used full strenght but diluted to about 30%.

Where did BAP-10 come from?

Someone decided to try BAP as a foliar spray on Hostas and found it to work in promoting shoot offset. He sold the idea to a company which decided to sell a product called BAP-10. The idea was to sell it as a miracle product that works on Hostas and other plants to promote growth. The stuff was expensive, around $275 a bottle.

Where did BAP come from?
    It was the work of Folke Skoog, a famous Swedish plant physiologist born in Halland Sweden, that was responsible for the discovery of BAP. Throughout his long and distinguished career Folke Skoog received numerous honors and awards, including the Stephen Hales Award of the American Society of Plant Physiologists in 1954 and the Award of Merit of the Botanical Society of America in 1956. He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1956. Skoog's discoveries about how plants work are the foundation of what we know today.

In 1954, after studying different natural chemicals that promoted growth in plants, Skoog discovered a plant growth regulator called Kinetin (N6-furfuryladenine). 3 days later a synthetic plant growth regulator was developed based on Kinetin called 6-Benzylaminopurine or BAP. BAP was found to be more effective than Kinetin.

How it works:
    BAP, acting as a growth hormone, triggers shoot formation in plants by signaling certain genes to "turn on" and start the chain reaction involved in growth, cell elongation, chlorophyll production etc.

More plants respond to BAP than just about any other plant growth regulator. It's used widely around the world for plant tissue culture. I use it on Hosta and other plants in tissue culture with good success.

1 gram of BAP can be purchase for about $12. That's enough to make .5 liter of 2000 ppm solution. It doesn't take much per plant so this would do quite a few. It works on almost all cultivars of Hosta as a foliar spray to promote shoot offset. If you look around you can get it a lot cheaper but have to buy it in larger quantities (2kg $80).

There have been so many studies with BAP and Hostas. All have found BAP to work. There shouldn't be any question about its effectiveness.

A test done by James M. Garner, Gary J. Keever, D. Joseph Eakes, and J. Raymond Kessler it found that 3,750 ppm worked for most cultivars. A lower concentration, 2000, was needed to obtain the optimum offset for some cultivars.
    http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/communications/publications/ornamentals99/greenhouse/bahosta.html

Response of Hosta to BA Crown Drenches Applied at
    Division and Establishment1
    Jennifer C. Warr and Gary J. Keever2
    Department of Horticulture
    Auburn University, Alabama 36849
    http://www.hriresearch.org/docs/publications/JEH/JEH_2004/JEH_2004_22_3/JEH%2022-3-129-132.pdf

There are many more studies which can be found by searching 6-Benzylaminopurine and Hostas

Frank

• davemidohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Against my better judgement, I need to make a couple points:

1. I tried BAP-10 last year. I got it from some place in Toledo, mail order. IT IS NOT A WASTE OF MONEY if you are wanting to release more eyes on SOME hosta. Some responded extremely well (GE was probably the best for me) and some had no response. It does not cause the hosta to mutate, which I believe some people tried it for in the past. I suppose it could be selectively used to get a sported eye to release more leaf buds and help preserve the sport until it is viable.

2. If we worry about advertisements, shouldn't we also worry about "off-topic" and not talk about turkeys? So Mike has just been lurking on this site for 4 years waiting for the opportunity to advertise? Really?

Hey, the stuff is expensive, but it does work. Going to use it on daylillies this year (probably this weekend) too.

Dave

• lynettstoy
    14 years ago

I have to say that I have monitored this thread for a while, looking to acquire BAP-10 to use on my daylilies. From the beginning I thought somehow I had been transported to another planet. I did know that the results of BAP on hostas is far less uniform than the way that it is primarily used in daylilies. However, not really into chemistry so much these days, I was thinking how hard could it be to find this elixir. Well, that answer is pretty hard! It seems that many daylily growers do use it for increasing proliferations, but no one spills the beans about where they get it. I have found the powder that is NOT soluable in water, requiring more chemicals than I am comfortable working with. I am not opposed to the chemicals, just not comfortable working with them anymore. I personally think that when someone is seeking a source that seems as elusive as this has been for me, a link is welcome and basically at the heart of what these exchanges are meant to accomplish. Help is given to one seeking it from someone who has more knowledge and wisdom, or, sometimes just the dumb luck to be at the right place at the right time. On rare occasions the liquid concentrate shows up on Ebay, but not with any consistency. Sometimes it can be found on the daylily auction at daylily.com, but just because I raise daylilies, it does not mean I make any money from this information. In fact, if someone can tell me how to STOP spending money at the auction, my husband would be grateful! I do not know anything about hostas, so I will steer way clear of any merit debates for them, but the daylily population seems much more comfortable with how BAP works in daylilies.

Here's hoping we all find what we need when we send out our question to others who have similar interests. I suggest more help and tolerance as we all have something to learn and something to offer.

• in ny zone5
    14 years ago

I bought a bottle of bap-10 this January and will use it as indicated to help the new purchases to get fuller sooner and get more roots sooner. As all that research showed that it works, why not use it too. I read that most TC growers use it, so most hostas we buy had it in infancy anyway, then why not continue for another year?

I plan to report my experience with bap-10 here on this forum.

• slp0100
    13 years ago

berndnyz5

Do you have a report for us?

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

OK, I will complete my table the next days.
    This was not a scientific experiment. I do not have a control group, that is exactly the same hostas in the same growing conditions to compare against.
    I only wanted to give my single-eye new hostas anything I could, and it only did cost $30. I applied it as directed onto the crowns with a pump sprayer. I sprayed when the leaves were just coming out, actually did it twice. I also applied Green Light Root Stimulator solution several times, which is phosphorus with rooting hormone.

The result probably will be that I have more eyes than I had last year on most plants, all plants look healthy and have expanded, nothing bad happened due to Bap-10.

But Parhelion and Dream Weaver are still one eye, though with more and beautiful leaves, but the references said that not all hostas will respond with more eyes. I also had mice chewing on roots, and one possible crown rot, etc.

Bernd

13 years ago

The result probably will be that I have more eyes than I had last year

===>>>

but you would have had that w/o the BAP .... NO??

ken

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

Ken,
    you are right, well growing hostas in perfect growing conditions should have more eyes in 2010 than in 2009. But I increased from 35 to 125 (now) different hostas, and at those hosta prices, enough compost, extra mulch and that little extra edge costs peanuts in comparison. In respect to nematodes, I do not see any yet, but then it might be too early.

So I went with that little edge Bap-10, root stimulator and Bayer fertilizer (protects systemically against leaf miners/slugs). Nothing got hurt. Hostas look good, except for some leaf distortions due to frosts in May.

In addition, in case I get more eyes this year due to Bap-10, next year there would be no new eyes I read. Oh well, it is an experiment.
    Bernd

13 years ago

i wasnt questioning the use... whatever you do is just fine with me ...

i was just questioning the suggestion that it has more eyes because of the BAP ...

many peeps complain ... that next year.. your increase.. which was due to BAP.. will disappear.. unless you remove them from the plant... ergo.. net zero ..

but trust me ... i understand its fun to experiment ...

ken

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

In spring of 2009 I had 35 different hostas in my garden, now I have 125. Many of the new hostas were small with one eye and adding 90 costs a lot. Since I am retired, I do not want to wait too long. Then I read about failures people have with some hostas, and I want that all of mine survive. So I read about BAP-10 (this forum), bought one bottle for around $30, got hold of several bottles of Green Light Root Stimulator & Starter Solution cheaply and bought Bayer systemic Rose Fertilizer which protects against leaf miners which might protect also against nematodes, I hoped. BAP-10 is thought to wake up the dormant buds on the crown.

The plan was to apply BAP-10 to increase the number of eyes as of spring 2010, also apply Root Stimulator to help the new eyes to develop sufficient roots. The fertilizer would help the strength of the whole plant. This was not a scientific experiment. I do not have a control group, that has exactly the same hostas in the same growing conditions to compare against.

On April 13 2010, the eyes of all plants of interest were showing, I first poured water with root stimulant over the area of the hosta. Then after the crowns had dried I sprayed BAP-10. I recorded the number of eyes each plant showed on this date. I would compare those numbers at a later date with the numbers achieved then. On April 13 I had 95 different hostas, I treated 55.

Today on August 3, I list the number of eyes on April 13 and today's, almost 4 months later.The result is that most hostas did not get more eyes, but some did. See the following list :

Hosta name # eyes before BAP-10, after BAP-10 ,

Antioch 10, 10
    Abiqua Drinking Gourd 4, 6
    American Icon 4, 5
    Atlantis 12, 12
    Big Daddy 10, 10
    Blue Angel 4, 4
    Blue Umbrellas 8, 8
    Brother Stefan 1, 4
    Cathedral Windows 4, 6
    Clovelly 2, 2
    Dance with Me 4, 5
    Dancing in the Rain 2, 3
    Diamond Tiara 11, 11
    Dream Weaver 1, 1
    Earth Angel 3, 4
    Eskimo Pie 2,1 reverted to green
    Fire & Ice 2, 2
    Fragrant Bouquet 4, 8
    Francis William 7, 11
    Ginko Craig 2, 2
    Grand Tiara 10, 10
    Great Expectations #1 4, 4 #2 4, 7
    Guacamole 3, 3
    Guardian Angel 2, 3
    Hanky Panky 6, 6
    Ivory Coast 3, 6
    June 3, 5
    Lakeside Cha Cha 4, 4
    Liberty #1 6, 6 #2 4, 5
    Lucy Vitols 4, 4
    Marilyn Monroe 4, 6
    Maui Buttercups 4, 6
    Montana Aureomarginata 5, 5
    Mourning Dove 3, 6
    Night Before Christmas 12, 12
    Northern Exposure 6, 6
    Paradigm 1, 5
    Parhelion 1, 1
    Pauls Glory 6, 9
    Sea Thunder 3, 5
    Sum $ Substance #1 20, 20 #2 6,7
    Sun Power 2, 5
    Red October 3, 5
    Regal Splendor 6, 6
    Sagae 6, 6
    Singing in the Rain 6, 6
    Stained Glass 6, 11
    St. Paul 15, 15
    Titanic 6, 6
    Yellow Splash Rim 4, 6
    T-Rex 3, 3

Another outcome is that all plants look healthy and have expanded, and nothing bad happened due to Bap-10. I read that in case I get more eyes this year due to Bap-10, next year there would be no new eyes. I do not see any nematodes yet.

I notice that some of the plants are showing new small eyes just coming up. This might be a late reaction to BAP-10, or it might be the late flush of leaves usually appearing at this time of the year. Then I could have made a mistake in applying BAP-10, such as using it too soon after the root stimulator, the crown not being clean, etc.

Bernd

• slp0100
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing!!

• Caroline Green
    8 years ago

Creative BioMart http://www.creativebiomart.net/ provides quality proteins.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH