Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Totally Awe Sum or totally awful?

hostanista
9 years ago

I vote for TOTALLY AWFUL. And $45 at my local supplier! Yikes. I wouldn't pay 45 cents for it. OK, maybe 45 cents, but NEVER $45.

Does anyone have one of these mutants to show off and make me change my mind?

Comments (28)

• luckyladyslipper
    9 years ago

Boggles the mind. I have to say, you'd have to pay me $45 to take it off your hands!

• User
    9 years ago

Is that your picture of the plant or is it one for advertising?
    I rather like the color pattern but am totally confused by the plant itself.

What is known about it? Has anyone on here grown one or seen one in a garden? Curious for sure.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I would like to see a 8 year old plant or so ... before I make up my mind !

• hostanista
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No not my plant mocc. It's the pic on the website of my usual hosta supplier.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

No, thank you. I'll pass. If I want a diseased-looking hosta, I'll go pick one out at my local Wal-Mart.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 23:04

• frankielynnsie
    9 years ago

Is this what the hosta virus looks like?

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Hostanista, have you wrote to the nursery that posted the picture to see what it is called? It has some rather interesting colors and curls and doubt if has a virus . Actually kind of unique. Would be interesting to know what the heck it really is.

• nutmeg4061
    9 years ago

That there are no mature pics online is probably a bad sign. And doesn't it revert like mad? I still love its look, however.

From link below...

4 color bands!
    A wild and wacky tweak of H. 'Sum and Substance' ploidy has produced something H. 'Totally Awe Sum'. Sleak white streaks and funky furls on luscious leaves with colorful curls explode from the crown of this perplexing permutation. In the spring, foliage is predominantly gold, but as summer cranks up the heat, leaves chill out to cool green centers trimmed in white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Totally Awe Sum

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi, Faye.....I'm not suggesting it's virused. I'm saying it's hideous, in my personal opinion. ; )

It actually is named 'Totally Awe Sum'. It's a sport of 'Sum and Substance'. I vividly recall Steve_Mass writing, last year, that it should be called 'Totally Awful' LOL.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Some telling reports about Totally Awe Some in this thread from 2013.

Here is a link that might be useful: Totally Awe Sum 2013

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

It looks like cabbage boiled for 10 hours!

Yuk!

There are so many deeply beautiful hostas out there, but this one should have been binned (trashed in your language lol).

Denis

• Lee
    9 years ago

2nd year in my garden/

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Perhaps this plant only looks not so good when it is young. I.e., I never liked leaves of young h.'Wheee!', but more mature plants seem to be presentable. Bernd

• blacksheep998
    9 years ago

Honestly, I love it. I wouldn't pay $45 for any hosta, but I really like this one. I guess everyone has different tastes.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

It actually looks kind of whee like. I have it but it so far is really not among my favorites yet but as you say Bernd, when they mature look a lot nicer and they kind of grow on you. $45 is a lot to spend on a hosta but give it a couple years and will go down in price. Lots don't care for praying hands too and I think it is rather nice too

• hostanista
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like yours melati - but even the photo on the plant tag is ugly!

• irawon
    9 years ago

Totally agree, totally aw(ful)!

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I am still thinking it could be an interesting adult plant..
    And I am by no means an optimist ! So there is something about it that encourages me...

• bill14150
    9 years ago

I like the weird and unusual in my gardens, so I would most definitely go for it. Not yet, not at 45.00, but maybe in time when the price is not quite as high! It must be quite new as no one seems to have a photo of it bigger than a pot plant, eh?

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

It looks perverted to me! I think the coloration is just awful.

DD

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

Walters dropped this hosta after one short year. I assume that means there are problems in its production. Most of the growers I know said that it reverted immediately.

• chris-e
    9 years ago

the picture of the (cough) $45 plant is awful but I think the little one Melati posted is kinda cute. And I love Whee! It has really taken off for me in only two years.

chris

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Something similar here...It's probably not the same one; this one is always green. I don't have a clue where it came from. And I thought that it's a diseased plant...it is blooming right now.
    Rina

• jennaj_z4mn
    9 years ago

Rina, yours looks like Royal Tiara.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Rina, Jenna may be right. Here's my Royal Tiara

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

and here's my 2nd year Totally Awe Sum.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Jenna & Gary

Thank you! That may be it - probably came from my daughter, I remember her having that one (now she doesn't have garden).
    Now I am getting all excited about having a name...Rina

• chris-e
    9 years ago

If the green in that plant were very dark, it would look exactly like American Hero. I'll try to get a picture of mine tomorrow.

chris