Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arcy_gw

more on companion plants

arcy_gw
9 years ago

I took these pics a few weeks back. I was given one small garden primrose and here is what I have now. I love yellow and was very excited to find something so at home among my hosta.

Comments (13)

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It has become so prolific I can't help but spread it around

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last year I even moved some to the front yard.

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will save you the bore of where all I have managed to get my lady fern to grow, but as a companion plant I am most proud of how I did manage to get it divided and moved to different beds around my home.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

WoW! Lush and lovely. Primrose aren't easy to grow, but you have had great success and the hosta are gorgeous..

DD

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

WoW! Lush and lovely. Primrose aren't easy to grow, but you have had great success and the hosta are gorgeous..

DD

Sorry double post

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 21:36

• User
    9 years ago

Arcy, beautiful garden, and I love yellow flowers too. Since hosta do not have yellow flowers just yet, I get my yellow fix with the gold leafed hosta, and daylilies. Your zone is quite different from mine, but I was asking for companion plants which reseeded liberally without being invasive. I'll have to check out primroses in my zone. I think they might be some version of it native to this area. You have a real success story with yours.

Thanks for showing the pictures too.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Arcy, have you tried corydalis? I posted a picture about a week ago. Fern like foliage and yellow flowers. Mine is the first thing to bloom in the spring and continues through October most of the time. It reseeds and will spread if it is happy but wouldnt call it invasive. I dont have the picture to post again but check the older posts! I just love it!

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

One more thing, i am in zone 5 but have had this in my gardens for over ten to fifteen years. They have survived -20 degrees and lots of snow with no problem. I always have prolific blooming. Try searching for corydalis lutea. There is also a white and blue form but i havent had much luck with those colors.

Sherry

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would say they fit your criteria. They reseed and in my garden have not done so fast enough for me to feel they are invasive. The original plot has out grown their space so this year I was thinning and throwing, not a taxing job. It has taken 12 years for the biggest plot to grow to its current size all from two hand me down plants. Other primrose I found IMPOSSIBLE to grow...tried English and another type before these. They were both low growing, and were planted in front of the buck board in my annual garden.
    I will have to check out our local garden center see if they have corydalis lutea. "short lived" perennial has me cautious but it may be worth it for the yellow. I am still looking for a zone hardiness rating. I love my fern leaf bleeding hearts--mostly because they last the entire summer vs my more traditional ones. I too have as many yellow hosta as I can find/afford. They are slower growers!! I also enjoy columbine which reseeds around my garden. They are most prolific in the spring. One of the few left can be seen near one of the 19 gnomes that live in this bed.

• User
    9 years ago

Sherry, I think I took your suggestion and ordered seed of corydalis lutea which is said to grow in zones 3-9.

I also discovered a short baby goldenrod, solidago canadensis which is of course yellow also. See, I'm right there with the yellows!

I thought I kept a link to the thread, and yes I did. If you wish to peruse it, link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free-seeders to go with hosta

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Arcy, dont be cautious : ). Order some seeds. I have new seedlings every year and they grow quickly if they like their spot. They LOVE the shade. If they get too much sun they will let you know, the foliage yellows.

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Just took another picture with my Sum and Substance and Ladys Mantle.

Sherry

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been thinking if they reseed--then they would be forever..somewhere...I need to get to the garden center!!! I have had little luck beginning with seed in my gardens..I have tried many things that grow well and reseed on their own, but I seem to need a mother plant to begin with.