Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

A couple of old hosta guys...

hosta_freak
10 years ago

Hey everyone! I had a nice visit with Ken in his gardens,and here is proof. Ken is the one in the hat! Phil

Comments (30)

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And his namesake hosta,beside his house. Phil

• luckykat13
    10 years ago

I love this photo. It's great to put faces with the names and gardens. The tee shirt is also fantastic!! Thanks. Gail

• User
    10 years ago

Wow. So The Wiz really exists! :)

On the left of the hosta, there are some streaked blades of plants like aspidistra. IS that really aspidistra or something else? I have some white streaked aspidistra and love it, but have not seen any with a pin stripe suit. Very nice as I would expect to see in Ken's gardens.

Did you two old hosta guys sit on the front porch in a rocking chair, exercising your elbows? :)

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc,that is not aspidistra,but variegated Lily of the Valley. It was my first guess when I saw it,also. Phil

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Dudes!!!

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another of Ken's hostas;the biggest Francee I have ever seen! Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Thanks for the photos, Phil! You guys are sorta like my other "family", so its good to the the cousins. ;-)

-Babka

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Ok. I already knew what Phil looked like. Somehow, Ken doesn't look like a smart a** in the photo.

Looks are deceiving.

Thanks for sharing, Phil.

I love Francee. I know she's common. But she always looks good. She doesn't burn. She doesn't drawstring. She's always happy.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Who's older?

Don B.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

You're both lookin' good.

So Phil, Ken has nigh on to 2000 hosta and you show...2? lol

And how about those conifers? Quite the lay of the land Ken has there, isn't it?

Thanks for posting.

tj

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

You know,Don,I don't know who's older? I didn't ask his age,but I went by the ages of his kids,and they are a lot younger than my daughter,so guess I am. Phil

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    10 years ago

Phil,

How many hostas did you flatten as you drove up the driveway?

Steve

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Phil, did you help Ken fix his camera? We miss pics of his giants.

Paul

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I didn't know his camera was broken,but he didn't ask. No hostas on the driveway,but plenty of them on the property. I couldn't popssibly take pics of all of them,but I will post a few more later. Phil

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Nice to see a couple of ol* hostaphiles together!

DD

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Very cool that you got together. Love the shirt.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

2 Good looking guys,Hosta happiness on both their faces.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic of Ken beside one of his gold hostas. I don't remember which one,though. Phil

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

What fabulous pictures! Love seeing the two of you! I agree with Babka, but I like all of you better than most in my family-you give better advice and have much better (hosta) gardens!

Phil, lucky you to visit Ken and his gardens. Someday, I would love to head down to NC one day to see your beautiful place!

Cynthia

• dg
    10 years ago

Neat photos Phil, thanks for sharing some pics of your adventure!

The one with Ken amongst his hosta... puts the sheer size of the plants into perspective.
    :-)
    Deb

edited for spelling...

This post was edited by Dgregory on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 17:10

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

what a great visit from phil and dianne ... two american kids.. doing the best they can .... oh yeah ...

if they hadnt shown up 30 mins earlier than i expected.. perhaps i would have spruced up a bit ...

thanks for coming ...

ken

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That would be a great name for a new hosta-Two Old Guys or Old Guy in a Hat or All Spruced Up. Of course, I can say that because I am older than Ken for sure and probably close to Phil's age or older. Hope you don't mind the teasing-wouldn't do it if I didn't like you!

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Sounds like a new gardening service - Two Old Guys and a Shovel.

Paul

• Lee
    10 years ago

Phil... hope we get to see Ken's Liberty and Manhattan's pictures again :)

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I did see Kens Liberty,but it doesn't look so good these days. As for the Manhattan,we may,or may not have a pic of it. We never got into specific plants,as there are so many of them! Phil

• User
    10 years ago

There he stands, waist deep in hosta!
    Truly that reveals the sheer size of his plants, and the very large problem it would be to move them intact. Failing that, even dividing any clumps would be an even larger task.

I vote that he try to stay or sell to a hosta lover, while retaining visitation rights and dividing rights for about the next five years. In this life, the best laid plans of mice and men.....you know how it goes.....life happens. And with me, although I plan never to move again....I'm too dang old to do it any more.....it could be in the next card turned up. Hope I don't wind up where there is a TWO POT LIMIT like DelawareDonna is dealing with.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Ha! Ha! Moc - My two pots are GIANTS......and then there's the no statues, no lawn ornament policy. I have a stone teddy bear my son game me years ago and I actually saw the grounds police pick it up and put in in my outside closet once. I don't think they would dare ask me to remove it now since I have significantly beautified the community. What's not to love....

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

sometimes.. i wonder about the sobriety of some of you peeps...

I NEVER SAID I WAS MOVING ....

?????

but i have 20 replies about how i should do it ....

on the other hand.. phil, diane and i.. had a very sober time...

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Hmmm, MOI? Not sober? I mean, Ken, my history as a sailor is in question here, I'm always jumping to solutions before there is a problem. However, I'm not the only one concerned by the magnitude of moving those hosta...and conifers....which are more than waist high in a lot of instances. That's a problem worthy of the likes of General George C. Marshall, a real hero of WWII. Logistics and strategy, he was the best.

Doing the move once in a lifetime is enough for one person under any circumstances.

• Lee
    10 years ago

If I'm not mistaken.. this is one of Ken's picture.