Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostacats

What is this??

hostacats
9 years ago

I lost the tag on this hosta...lots actually and this is one of my older ones, but I still am not able to recognize them. It only has 7 large eyes!!

Michelle

Comments (19)

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo of same plant

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Looks a lot like Frost Giant

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Or Yellow River?

Don't have a pic to post but HL has some.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I'm sorry...but I was just drawn to the cat sitting there ..thinking cat kinda things....

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hehehe that's one of my cats..Roo..five years old. He usually doesn't go outside. Scared of the outdoors. They cannot leave my backyard, and don't usually attempt to jump the fence either.
    I don't ever remember those two names in my yard.......it should be a popular hosta, cuz this is from the beginning. If nobody else identifies it I will call it that....maybe.....

michelle

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

My guess would be Regal Splendor. Mine here is more blue but is changing now. Changes with the season and amount of sun.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aha.....that's probably what it is....a Wal-Mart hosta and yes it does look like yours old dirt, but it also looks like frost giant that funn posted. That name though doesn't ring any bells for me.

• User
    9 years ago

Your flowers are a light lavender, which is the same with Regal Splendor.

I do not have Regal Splendor, but I do have Regal Supreme, a little bit newer hosta. This is a leaf shot. You can see that it is in the same family of hosta.

Frost Giant is a pretty hosta too. However, the margins are yellow and turn near cream late in the summer (going from the description here.). Also, it flowers in June and the blooms are NEAR WHITE, not the definite lavender that yours is.

(See what I mean that the flower color and time it blooms is part of solving the puzzle?) ;)

I'd say yours is the Regal Splendor.

Also, it is my observation that is seems to grow very well for you. Very pretty plant. Considering that, why not look at KROSSA REGAL?

Regal Splendor sported from Krossa Regal, so the way one grows the other probably will too. It is a solid color, but in every garden you need a few solid colors to accent the variegated forms.

Besides, it will be inexpensive and it is found in many nurseries. .

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Looks like yellow river to me as well.

Paul

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

moccasinlanding those blooms are actually from the small hosta beside it. I also have krossa regal, but in a more shadier area and its not nearly as big. Just takes longer where he is I guess. I'm still thinking regal splendor......??

michelle

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

I was curious about the bloom too. Mine flowers sometime in August I believe.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Hmmmm. Don't have a pic of a mature Yellow River, but here's a small one

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The blooms you see are from a small Julie Morss hosta I accidently picked up this year. She will need to be moved to another location, as I found out she will be big. None of my hostas are in bloom yet, they are just sending up their scapes now, with their buds. Some close to blooming others still shooting up.

michelle

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm checking both hostas out and they look so similar to me. I still think its probably a regal splendor because of the fact that I bought it at walmart years ago. Yellow river the name doesn't sound familiar and doesn't seem to be a walmart type of plant does it????

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Michelle,

I think you have Regal Splendor. The vase-shaped hostas like this one and Krossa Regal are distinctive and easy to remember. Here's a mature Regal Splendor.

Steve

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

I don't understand the Yellow River v Regal Splendor option - if it had a dusty blue color at some point earlier in the season, then it is not Yellow River......

Yellow River margin will change to cream/white in mid summer. Here's a pic with the celadon third color (you'll have to ask Ken for the alt spelling;-)), which make is look green/grey.

Paul

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm quite sure now its regal splendor....has to be....

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Funn & Paul, your pictures of Yellow River make me glad I got one this year. They're sure lovely and so graceful looking.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

The original plant looks too thin and not blue enough to be Regal Splendor. Did it ever have a glaucous film?