Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Blooming Mouse Parade

Wanted to share a picture of the 5-yr. old Blue Mouse Ears (the one I wanted to divide but didn't) in bloom...the flowers are barely open, but it's the little balloons that are so interesting, don't you think?

Please post pics of your little MOUSE(s). Please indicate age of plant(s).
Thank you, Jo.

Comments (24)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is 3-yr. old Holy Mouse Ears. Sheesh, she could have used a little dusting! Dirt splashed from rain.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I think they are so very cute. I like the way the blooms are so short and tight on the plant. It is the only one that I like to see blooming. I remove the stalks from other ones, as my big thing is hosta leaves.

-Babka

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Very, very pretty! I love the flowers on the mice....they just fit them perfectly. Mine don't bloom all that well in the shade.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Coll...These little ones are in direct sunlight until 1:30 ish. It seems perfect for them.

When I first got them, I wanted them close for observation, not really paying attention to sun exposure. This location turned out fine! It helps that these two are 'leathery' and hold their own against the slugs.

Bapka- I know what you mean - a lot of the mini flowers scapes are the elongated type, some so long that they look almost separated from the plant, like my Limey Lisa right now.

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

i like to tease my h. blue mouse ears with an adjacent planting: h. green cheese

bwah ha ha

dave

^_^ --~

• Gesila
    10 years ago

My three year old Blue Mouse Ears blooming.

Gesila

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Those are great, Jo and Gesila! Love the little scapes and flowers they get that match the plants' height so well. Mine are still so small, they're barely there. BUT this is why we grow them, eh? I have lots to look forward to. Thanks for the reminder, ladies.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

I know what you mean about the scapes being the exact height for this mighty little hosta. It reminds me of an old fashioned nosegay when in bloom.

Now that is the one thing that might convince me to get a BME, and you tempted me, dragging it like bait in front of me like this. Oh WOE! Maybe next year.... I must be strong.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Lovely mice everyone.

Here's one of my two Frosted Mouse Ears, which have been slow growing and just starting to bloom... they could probably use more sun. I'm thinking of putting the two together. The edges of my Mighty Mouse are whiter than FME but he's not blooming at all. The squirrels are also dropping cone debris on my mice. My BME is badly stained. Always something to contend with, isn't there?

Edited to say I planted FME in 2009.

This post was edited by irawon on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 12:22

• irawon
    10 years ago

My Holy Mouse Ears is mightily confused... doesn't know what it wants to be... I guess I should probably separate out two of the three eyes. Has anyone else had this happen with HME?

Open pollinated seedlings like to grow in this area. There's one little yellow one to the bottom right of HME and some green ones top left.

Edit: Planted HME in 2009

This post was edited by irawon on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 12:23

• irawon
    10 years ago

Cat and Mouse has reverted to I don't know what ... maybe BME but it's starting to bloom.

Edit: planted C&M in 2011.

This post was edited by irawon on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 12:24

• irawon
    10 years ago

Of my mice Pure Heart (pure white center) and Mighty Mouse (pure white margin) haven't reverted...so far.

So the lesson that I've learned from this thread is that mice like more sun than I've given them especially the ones with any white. The only one to have grown well with this amount of light has been Blue Mouse Ears. It also has a lot of blooms starting to peak through, so low light has been sufficient for growth and bloom.

Thanks, Jo, for starting this thread because it's made me give more thought into what I've been doing with my mice. They're really cute but I've decided not to invest in any more until I learn whether more sun will keep them from reverting.

Here's my Mouse Trap.

Edit: planted in 2011

This post was edited by irawon on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 12:27

Original Author
    10 years ago

Colour me happy for starting this thread! I'm sooo enjoying seeing other Mouse-keteers produce their pictures!!!!!!!!! I know, corny, eh?

Dave...lol with the green cheese lol

Gisele...I'm noting your mouse in a pot...younger but bigger in diameter? Perhaps it benefits from growing in pot as opposed to ground? I love the look of yours!

Don.." The waiting game" - whatever was I thinking when I contemplated dividing it???? Your comment reminded me that I waited 5 YEARS for it to grow to this size. Definitely worth the wait, as is the wait for most hosta. But Don...I hate to persist but...PLEEEEEEEEASE post pics of yours....what kind of excuse is "too small to post". .pleeeeeease??

Moccasin...what can I say? ... Let me see ... GOTCHA! Lol lol lol

Irawon..I just go crazy excited when something like that happens in regards to your Holy Mouse Ears! It's like Christmas, or being in a hosta nursery....there is a lot of mystery going on when growing hosta..you never know what hand Nature will decide to play, or when... Your Mouse collection is so lovely and I thank you for looking in on this post. Thank you to all so far. Please don't stop.

Regardless of size/age of the Mouse series, it is so interesting to note growth progress and comments offered by those interested.

To me.....the phrase " seen one, you've seen them all" just DOES NOT, and COULD NOT ever apply to Hosta...there is a myriad of differences in each and every hosta that challenges the observer/beholder....

Do I love hosta???? Well, let me see....does taking them from Ontario to Calgary, then years later, go back for them, apply? Ive also given some to friends and relatives during the move because I knew I would get them back, or divisions of them...I'm with you, kindred spirits, when you refuse to leave them behind, just because you have to, or want to move.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

This is my new Giantland Mouse Ears - the first 'gold' mouse; mine isn't quite gold yet but it is obviously tiny.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Irawon...I really like the "Revolution" going on in the centre of the Mouse Trap..really neat!

Paula, congratulations on your gold mouse!!!! Because of its size, I KNOW I have room for it...now, just to find it for sale .... Lol. ...
    That was the size of my BME when I first got it...I waited, and waited, and waited...and had fun watching it multiply, as you no doubt will too. Your GME is kind of the star of our mouse collection, being gold and all. Way to go :-)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Thanks, it is exciting. My BME is my oldest mouse and it is 'all grown up' - it just takes some time :)
    I planted my 7 mouse ears in the new rock bed that I made, at the end, where it is raised the most so you can see them better.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been following your post...again, amazing job Paula! Your Mouse collection is a beautiful finishing touch.
    BTW...your snail ornament is much cuter than the real thing!! :-)
    Jo

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Here's my Mighty Mouse. Sorry I don't have a photo of it blooming, but anyway, I got it two years after my Frosted Mouse Ears and it WAY surpassed my Frosted Mouse Ears. Much more vigorous. Love it!

My Cat and Mouse had a few all green eyes that I yanked.

-Babka

{{gwi:1065923}}

• paul_
    10 years ago

Gesila, how do you overwinter your BME? Assuming you have it in a plastic pot inside that decorative one, do you just put it in the ground pot and all?

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sitting here, sipping coffee and checking on the thread traffic here...voila! There's Bapka with Mighty Mouse....LOVE all that colour!!!! What a beauty and its literally trying to climb out of the pot hahahaha

Glad to hear its a vigorous one as I'm hoping to add to my mouse parade
    by adding another mouse or two that is vigorous and retains its intended colour. These posts are so helpful. LOVE THE PICTURES.

• User
    10 years ago

Babka, that is a tiny little pot stuck down beneath the big guys, and it is so CUTE.

Tell me.....how is my Snake Eyes doing? I simply MUST get one of those, the first of the strippers that I'm lusting for. Once I fell for your Snake Eyes, I ordered Gypsy Rose, fell for the whole family, wound up with Striptease and Kiwi Full Monty, They meet the "ten foot rule" which is how I spotted your strippers beside your (almost blocked) EXIT.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Here is my Mighty Mouse blooming today

unfortunately, I still have lots of slug damage on the mice, despite the thick leaves. Nothing stops them here

• User
    9 years ago

bump....

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner