Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Do These Look Like 'Fortunei Hycinthina' To You?

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Got these 3 seasons ago, tiny plants then. Was under the impression they were 'F. Hyacinthina'.

After seeing many of yours, I'm not at all certain they are FH. What do you think, peeps?

Thanks,
Don B.

Comments (13)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like 'em, just not sure what they are...

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

They have blue, so I would say no...

Hyacinthina pic below

Paul

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Paul, you sure that's 'Hyacinthina'....

It's some what difficult to see on the image you uploaded, but I believe I can see the back of one of the leaves and it does not appear glaucous to me -like it should be- but that may be due to the small size of the image.

This is one of mine....and it very much blue. Matter of fact, one of mine is in open shade and sees no direct sun at all and this time of year it looks almost black.....

Don, how about a close-up of the flowers, that'll provide clues. Are the leaf backs glaucous?

Here's a shot of one of mine later in the season. Look at how glaucous the backs are...

Pieter

This post was edited by pietertje on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 22:37

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

According to research and the guy I got my FH from, they are not considered bluegreen, but GREYgreen. And mine is more like Pauls but with a more pronounced sharp tip.

• User
    10 years ago

Read a little bit about F. Hyacinthina, and you'll see there is a good bit of variation.

Which is why I got TWO, from different sources. I'm glad I did, because one was light of leaf, the other dark of leaf. And that made me curious.

The one I got from Jims Hosta was lighter colored. The one from Bridgewood .....was darker. Here they are last spring.(the holes were from saw fly larva, my first taste of THAT problem).

And so it rocked on last year, and this spring, and then I got one from Jim Hartmann that looked like a nice dark f. Hyacinthina.

Lot of variation in my 3, but I think the 3d one is the charm, because it is much more mature than the other two.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Interesting that there is that much variety in look, from the Hosta Library Text-

'Fortunei Hyacinthina' is the correct name for this plant, although it is frequently called simply 'Hyacinthina'. ...... It varies somewhat in how glaucous it gets, but can be fairly blue although most are a deep slightly glaucous green, with an unusual dove-grey underside. The scapes are also glaucous and the flowers an attractive shade of lavender. Fertility varies with the sports, but the all-green form represented here sets seed reasonably well.

pietertje, Mine have been green and are divisions out of a local garden. Never remember it having much if any wax. Back of leaf below from an old pic.

Paul

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Paul, it may well have been the angle at which the first picture was taken that made me question its identity. In the first shot the leaves just didn't look right, a little too shiny, almost satin-like. This last shot is more like what I'd expect, plus it's sporting, something it's very prone to do.

Back to Don, how about some flower shots?

Pieter

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll post some flower shots tonight.

Don B.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Leaves look the wrong color and shape. Also, the flowers look too white. Here's my Fortunei Hyacinthina.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Don,

If they have finished flowering for you at this time, then I would say no. F. Hyacynthina flowers in late summer and should be starting to flower now in your zone.

Yes, the color of the leaves vary. The Library says that they have a unique dove-gray underside of the leaf. Notice Paul's picture of the turned back leaf. Can you provide a shot of that?

Steve

PS Love the blue suede shoes.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, the flowers are already spent, plus they were a pure white, not a hint of lavender in 'em. Here's the back of the leaf, but my plants don't even really look like anyone else's 'FH's'. Into the NOID file.

OK, time to get a REAL one! : )

Thank you, everybody...
    Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Man alive, I was scrolling up and looking for those "blue suede shoes". Don't you STEP ON MY BLUE SUEDE SHOES....blue blue...blue suede shoes......

You know, one of the advantages of being THIS OLD, is, all that exciting rock and roll was just beginning, and it was so good. Grew up with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carl Perkins...Blue Suede Shoes...go boy!!

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Don, I count 11 veins, 3 more than the FH I have. So, I thought I'd check the registration and was surprised to see a sad lack of detail, no vein count, no flowering period or flower colour, just the overall colour being given as grey-green.

Based on the vein count and the flower colour and flowering time I'd venture what you have is of the sieboldiana family.

Pieter

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County