Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about viridescence

Posted by bkay2000 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 20:49

I bought a Night Before Christmas this spring. The white very quickly went green. It's in shade. My neighbor has hers in morning sun. Her's is still white.

I have Pride and Joy and Lakeside Shore Master next to each other. Pride and Joy seems to be going green in the center. LS Shore Master is going parchment.

I assume that the lack of light is what made my NBC go green. What about the Pride and Joy?

bk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about viridescence

Post a pic. It sounds like a mis-labeled undulata. NBC doesn't change color and mine is in pretty deep shade.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 11:36

Mine never turned green either, but I see that the blurb at the HL
my hostas database says that the older leaves may turn green toward the end of summer. Those are words out of a catalog somewhere, so they aren't always accurate. I couldn't find any mention of it in the AHS registration, but at the time it was registered, maybe there wasn't a line to fill in regarding viridescence.

Maybe a new specific post that asks if NBC turns all green for anyone else?

-Babka

o

I was also concerned about my Pride and Joy. It and LS Shore Master are next to each other and only P&J is turning green. I'll have to look for a photo of the two Paul's Glory sports.

bk

Night Before Christmas

o

There isn't much I can say that you don't know about but I'll add my two cents just as an observation, Bk.

None of your hostas mentioned here are viridescent in the truest sense of the word. NBC won't lose its noticeable variegation, it will remain muted if it stays in its current location. It doesn't matter with LSMASTER where you place it. It naturally goes lighter in the centre as the season progresses.

P & J is not viridescent either. It is in too much shade. If you want it to look as it should,try giving it more light?

Perfect lighting is tricky at best - thank goodness for potted hosta! At least we can alter exposure easily enough. Can't do much about the heat though.

A true viridescent hosta cannot be halted in its transition, but it can be delayed with lighting. I have retained a lighter centre with Whirlwind by giving it more sun. It does go a bit greener, but not as dark if it received less sun (relocated two years ago).
Albopicta, also a viridescent, transitions quickly regardless of sun or shade.

Don Rawson hopefully can weigh in re his beautiful Pride and Joy. My suggestion would be to allow it more sun exposure. You must love it, BK..wish I had one. :-)

o

I'm mostly curious about the process. I wonder why some turn green and others with pretty similar genetics don't. I could deduce that the difference in the NBCs is the sun. But that's not so with Paul's sports.

bk

Pride and Joy on the left and LS Shore Master on the right.

o

I was wondering how you were enjoying LSM...I've never seen one so light - I was interested in how it grew in Texas, glad you posted pic!

Pride and Joy already gaining some corrugation...sigh...lucky you! A couple of leaves...right side, bottom in pic look like they catch more sun than others as they are lighter.

Both hostas beautiful looking, Bk.

o

I'll trade them and see what happens.

I will put NBC where Elegans is burning up.

Will they go back?

We'll see what happens.

bk

o

I don't think that looks like NBC. Leaf shape isn't right, and NBC leaves kinda bend over toward the ground.

o

It's gotta be the lighting, that would be my guess. Don't know if this helps or not, but thought that I would post it. Here's my Lakeside ShoreMaster in June in part sun, I would say.
20140530_160801.jpg

My Pride and Joy is VERY close, just a couple of feet away, but I don't have a pic of it yet and it is absolutely pouring buckets here right now, so I will check it out for you tomorrow to see if I have any more info that might be useful.

o

Melissa, I think it's labeled correctly. Blew Perennials is often criticized for making up new names for hosta, but I've not heard they have other problems.

I had forgotten this, but my neighbor had a similar problem a few years ago. I was looking at some old photos of her NBC and found this.

D's NBC 2010 photo DSCN0214-1.jpg

D's NBC 2011 photo DSCN0294-1.jpg

o

I feel that the greening up is just mother nature's way of rebuilding the food banks for the upcoming Winter. My second flush of leaves have already started to green up on my NBC, a lot quicker this year after a stressed Winter and
Spring where I had to dig it up, bleach treat it, then pot it up
for the rest of the season. I expect next year that it will hold his color much longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here