Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

who does own a watering wand

well???

ken

Comments (16)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Been there, done that. (So what if I don't read well?)

bk

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I DO! Lol. A Gardena wand that is great for reaching under the leaf canopy of the hostas and provides for that extra couple feet reach.

Unfortunately, it got dropped a couple of times, so something must be cracked on the inside because it leaks during use. I have to watch that the leaves below the drip don't get wet. Frustrating. I prefer to use pails (repurposed kitty litter pails) of water and a plastic container but that is more taxing on the back.

Undecided about replacing it. I could probably buy two more hostas with that money! Yeah!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

on the other post.. i couldnt understand how few peeps had them ...

and i was so proud there were no typos in the title...

and then.. tonight.. to my horror.. i realized i did NOT ask who does have one ... lol

how about this... have you ever been to a nursery that did not use them??? ...

ken

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I have two. How in the world could you do without one? One for the backyard, one for the front yard. It's the easiest way to water directly in the right area without having to lean down to do it. With the amount of area I have to cover, the extra reach is the only way to go or my back would be broken. At this time of year, it takes me 45 minutes in the front and 45 more in the back to water EVERY DAY. No rain in sight, hasn't rained here in weeks. My poor plants are suffering. The wand makes the chore so much easier, especially since I don't water from above. Tailoring the setting and the strength of it helps a lot, too.

• mosswitch
    9 years ago

I have half a dozen of them or more; greenhouse, deck, back yard, end of woods, workshop, wherever I have an end of a hose to stick one on. Don't know how I could garden without them. They all have quick-connects as do all the hoses and drip lines. I use every one of them to keep this acre watered where I need to.

Sandy

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I have a 30" one that I can control the flow with a gentle forward or back motion with just the end of my thumb. It reaches all my hanging pots and I can water all my hosta pots w/o bending over. I have some very small pots as well has some larger ones, and this wand allows me to adjust the pressure from a soft sprinkle to a real strong flow very easily, unlike the the handle grip ones.

I've had several kinds of handle grip ones over the years...thumb squeezers and finger squeezers and this one gives most control, w/o getting achy hands from trying to adjust the flow between pots of different sizes.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Dramm Touch Valve Wand

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Ken, I follow . . . I've never visited a nursery where someone hasn't been watering the inventory with a wand, no matter the time of day. Pays to pay attention to what the professionals are doing.

I actually have an attachment as well that has numerous angles, actually tilts downwards and upwards and controls flow strength. Then there is the latest hand sprinkler head I picked up at Lee Valley...it has a thumb control lever for flow control...very handy...from barely dripping to heavy flow. Aching back, otherwise I'd go outside and take pix of my gizmos!

I don't water any perennials overhead ever unless I am drowning aphids.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

oops, wrong thread. Sorry...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 1:45

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Who wants to bend? I have many different kinds and different colors.

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

My retirement job was working in a garden center, and yes, we used watering wands. Water was a significant expense, and it was important to put the water exactly where it was needed. Also, for plant health, no water on the leaves.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

I have several. They all seem to leak but its so much faster. I can drag hose and water all my containers faster with the wand. However, mine doesn't seem to be as good as the ones you guys are using. They leak somewhere at the connection between the hose and the wand. I also use it for watering garden areas that are difficult to get with the sprinkler.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

OK,I said I had one in the other post. Someone here said they used it for watering under the leaves. Yeah that may be good,but what about rain that falls from the skies? Do you think it only falls UNDER the leaves? I think not! Your logic escapes me. I don't water anything out in the garden,except when planting a new plant.I only use the wand near the house,where the hostas are under the eaves,but even rain sometimes goes in there. Phil

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Of course not, the rain obviously hits the top of the leaves, but here's the logic. If, let's just say, it takes 50 times (let's just say) to wash the wax off of a blue hosta, do you want to lose the wax in June because you watered from above or do you want to lose it in August because you didn't water from above and the only time it got exposed to overhead watering was rain? A daily/weekly dose of overhead watering is going to fast forward your making it to a green hosta when you started with a blue!

The other part of that is that, if it has a leaf canopy over it because it's well-shaded, the impact to the hosta leaf may be minimal when raining, whereas overhead watering is a bit more vigorous. Again, fast-forwarding the rate of loss of wax. Make sense?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Hey, Phil- My situation is very different from yours. Lucky you with all your rain. We have no rain from April to Nov. If I hold the wand on top of the hosta rather than under the leaves, all the water doesn't make it into the pot, it runs off the leaves hanging over the sides of the pots. Wasted water, and it is expensive here. Also we have hard water and it spots the leaves.

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Yeah,I hear you funnsun,and Babka. Babka,you really mean it doesn't rain there? Sorry,but I wouldn't live there,with forest fires and draught,and earthquakes;no offense! Of course,I understand water running off potted plants,and I water under the leaves on the few potted ones I do have,(not hostas). Funn,I've said before,I don't water my garden. Rain does that,in fact,we just had two nights of evening rain,which I could never duplicate. My blue hostas at this time of year are already turned green,but that is a natural occurrence every year. Probably why I'm not a huge fan of blue hostas. They do better up north,where it isn't that hot. Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Phil, yes, zero rain in summer. We get our water from the melting snow pack in the Sierra mountains, and also from the ground aquaphor. My hostas stay blue...and they never get whacked by frost. But they never get a big and beautiful as yours because we don't stay cold for very long.

-Babka

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner