Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippieindenial

Alligator Alley

TheHostaCottage
9 years ago

Hello,

Do any of you have Alligator Alley? I would love to see pictures.
To market it they've used the glamour shot which looks nice but I would like to see what it really looks like. I haven't seen one in person yet that has called my name :)

Vanessa

Comments (7)

• User
    9 years ago

Melissa, here is mine on June 7. Guess it is time for an update. I was moving things around last few days. It will take a minute before I recall where I put it.

I like it. Don't know about a glamour shot, I do not recall it influencing me. Alligator Alley is a strip of roadway cross Florida, but you already knew that, right? I remember it "when" ....

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Nice, Mocc, like 'Dick Ward' in bold!

Don B.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Here's mine that I got last year from Walters Gardens. Mine is a lot darker than mocc's, I assume because I'm further north and grow mine in lots of shade. It's been blooming for two weeks.

• User
    9 years ago

Eleven, I would assume the same thing. I got mine last year, and it has yet to bloom. Cannot draw any conclusions from that.

To tell the truth, I forgot to look for Alligator Alley as I said I would, been too busy to swat mosquitos even. I know right where to find Alligator Shoes....but don't suppose you will take a picture of it instead? :)

I'll put out an alert for Alligator Alley WANTED and see if it turns up tomorrow. In the meantime, I decided to EDIT this post and add a picture of AA taken on May8 2014, with my tablet camera which is always a "cooler" picture. Since we are talking color differences on this hosta, looking at my plant through a different lens might be interesting. As I recall when I took that picture, I took some with the Kindle FIRE on May 13th about a week later, of other hosta in same color options side by side, and they all had the real same color quality live and in person. The warmer tone is the actual and real tone of these plants, NOT the cooler version.

and here AA is grabbing just a corner of this picture of Dance With Me, Mango Tango, Princetta (the solid green gold) and a piece of Alligator Alley.off in the bottom left.

I enjoyed putting their pots together so I could figure out who was who next time. I was impressed how much like a family group they appear to be.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 22:32

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

This one was planted in May of this year, Hallson's. It's not much bigger than when I got it but seems to be picking up the pace. Good substance, pretty. I can wait.
    Kathy

• Eleven
    9 years ago

I hadn't seen the glamour shot until mentioned here, so I went to look for it. Funny that my plant and mocc's look similar, but zkathy's looks most like the "glamour" shot :) Also, I have mine planted at the edge of my blue bed where it transitions to green and gold. The corrugation is already developing, but I willo consider moving it to more sun in a couple years to bright up the color.

• User
    9 years ago

I took a look at the "glamour" shot. It sure is a pretty plant. Mine has yet to fade the gold midleaf down to a paler shade.
    And mine went straight to green on the margins, don't recall seeing blue on it.

All I could see was SPORT OF DICK WARD. That was enough for me to know this plant had what it takes to thrive in my zone. That's why I bought AA. I have Dick Ward since 2010 May, and it is tough so I know Alligator Alley is just as tough. And really a more exciting leaf pattern than the parent plant.

Dick Ward