Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

The Most I Can Fit Into One Pic

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hi All,

First off, I'd like to apologize for the lawn (For HAVING a lawn that big, and that it's patchy and crappy-looking! My wife 'made' me stop paying attention to the hosta for a couple hours today to de-thatch and seed it. Should look much better in about 3-4 weeks or so. Yay...NOT...Who cares) Look how many more hosta I could add with a smaller lawn... : ( and : P

Anyway, this pic is from my deck, and seems to be the best site for getting as many hosta as possible in a single pic. The bed full of fragrants is visible on the far left.

Just thought I'd share it with 'The ones I know who'll care', so to speak...My hosta friends : )

Regards,
Don B.

Comments (18)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bit of a different angle...

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I am sure wifey will come around when they all start touching each other. My DH is starting to love the looks so much more now that they have grown some. He even said the yard sure is looking nice now ... wow!. So far not knowing names or planting but hard to change an old dog. lol Looks very nice Don! If like me, you just have to sneak a foot or two on the edges each year and they will never know. I used the gas is so expensive thing for lawn mower too.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL good idea, Faye! Karen really does like hosta, but she loves the lawns. But, like you said, maybe in a few seasons....She IS noticing some of the hosta I got last season as looking bigger and prettier. The big bush you see at the elbow of the 90deg. angle, in the tree/hosta bed is the last one left in the backyard. I took out the other dozen or so that were taking up space under the pines, but she put her foot down about that last one. Could fit three big hosta there with that removed... Sometimes I almost forget it's Karen's yard, too...My bad : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Don, that looks great! My lawn is never gonna be featured in my pics because it's awful!!! I have two dogs that frequently dine on grass and dirt, so I am uneasy about using chemicals to make it pretty. But I wish I could- I think a lawn is a nice accent of its own to a garden. My fantasy would be to haves nice big hosta garden and a nice flat lawn to play croquet on. Oh, in that fantasy the lawn is made out of that fake turf that they use in football stadiums- never gets a weed, never needs mowing.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

That view reminds me strongly of a section of the Denver Botanical Garden, near the back of it, past the koi pond. Maybe you are in residence there, LOL!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Wonderful setting and to be able to have such a nice view from your deck is a bonus.

Paula

• hostanista
    10 years ago

That hose is laying just about right to mark the extended edge of the (ever-growing) hosta bed....

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the way you think, Hostanista...

Don B.

• sm4657
    10 years ago

That is a very nice hosta bed....I love the trees, too....such a pretty back drop for the hostas!

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, if you round off that far corner, bring it out a bit, you can just continue cutting that grass without butting against the borders in the corner. It really needs to be a rounded off spot for easy cutting. Which will bring out the bed a wee bit further.

And Don, have you tried Ludi's trick of the tall ladder for picture taking? Of course, his neighbors thought he was nuts to be up there to take pictures of his hosta.....??? In your case, I think they may wonder why you are up there....looking over the fence perhaps? Taking pictures of them and NOT your hosta? I mean, who would get out a ladder to take pictures of their flower beds. (other than Ludi and a few other hosta lovers)....thinking about doing that myself, since all is flatland around here.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Cut that lawn right where the hose lies. Hit the grass with Round-up, cover with 2-3 inches of woodchips and plant in the fall. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Steve

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Don, Looks like the enablers are at it again. Might as well just go purchase the roundup tomorrow. Looks like that hosta killing grass fungus ends right about where you've layed that hose. I'm sure Karen will understand. Great beds btw. :)WW

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, I wish, Steve. I wish.

Don B.

P.S.: WildernessWen...Oh, I already have plenty of Round Up : )

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 9:46

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I envy all the room that you have to plant hostas compared to what I have. It will be exciting to see how they develop each year. Looking forward to seeing lots of your pictures!

Perhaps you could "make a deal" with your wife---how about having less lawn (with the promise of keeping it well maintained) and you get more hosta space?

This post was edited by newhostalady on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 16:49

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Roundup is probably OK. Do you plan to plant there this year?
    I bought and used Bayer Grass and Weed Killer by accident on lawn and nothing grows there for 6 months.
    I like the border with the pines, but they will become very big. I have 4 very large Eastern White Pines and hostas grow under them very well. Good luck! Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NewHostaLady- That's a good idea, but I already keep the stupid lawns maintained year after year. Which I SHOULD do (Except for this season, but with all these beautiful hosta to focus on, I have certainly been slacking on lawn care) so I can't blame my wife for wondering why all of a sudden the lawn in back looks bleh. Guess I'll just have to make the beds grow enough for another line of hostas when she goes to California next month. Heh heh heh.

Bernd- Yes, my pines have shown to be quite hosta-friendly. Even the Aspen have been OK, as my 'F. Aureomarginata' and 'F. Hyacinthina' can attest to. If I plant in a newly-created bed, I'll wait til spring.

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

That bed is going to be a beauty when it fills in! Then no one will focus on the lawn.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Besides, a beautiful lawn takes lots of chemicals and water. Chemicals are bad, bad, bad. We need to save our water, too. (Try that approach).

bk